Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #11,568 of 22,535
I've just listened to an album I've heard dozens of times before, since I was about 12. With each upgrade I made in my audiophile journey I would always listen to it at some point and think "wow, this sounds so much better than before".
Now with the H2, this is an experience on a whole new level for me. Suddenly I feel like I can hear everything. So much more detail, space between instruments, depth. Sections where 2 instruments play in unison were a blur before compared to what I'm hearing now where I can distinctly hear each of them separately (oh, it's a keyboard AND an electric guitar!).
Another thing is I noticed is that in the past my attention would always get drawn to the same instruments/parts in the same places in songs each time I listened to it. Now it was completely different. My attention wasn't drawn to any single instrument. I could hear them all clearly and choose where to focus my attention and change it freely.
What's interesting is that this isn't even that great of a recording. Technically one could find many issues with it. It was released in '83 and the transfer to CD isn't perfect (in the silence between tracks I can very very faintly hear the next track starting before it actually starts!). And yet, it turns out this Redbook packs loads of "analog" data.

This has been said here many times but... thank you Chord!

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #11,570 of 22,535
I've just listened to an album I've heard dozens of times before, since I was about 12. With each upgrade I made in my audiophile journey I would always listen to it at some point and think "wow, this sounds so much better than before".
Now with the H2, this is an experience on a whole new level for me. Suddenly I feel like I can hear everything. So much more detail, space between instruments, depth. Sections where 2 instruments play in unison were a blur before compared to what I'm hearing now where I can distinctly hear each of them separately (oh, it's a keyboard AND an electric guitar!).
Another thing is I noticed is that in the past my attention would always get drawn to the same instruments/parts in the same places in songs each time I listened to it. Now it was completely different. My attention wasn't drawn to any single instrument. I could hear them all clearly and choose where to focus my attention and change it freely.
What's interesting is that this isn't even that great of a recording. Technically one could find many issues with it. It was released in '83 and the transfer to CD isn't perfect (in the silence between tracks I can very very faintly hear the next track starting before it actually starts!). And yet, it turns out this Redbook packs loads of "analog" data.

Curious; which album?

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #11,571 of 22,535
Hey everyone, I can't help listening to Tina Turner - Better be Good to Me, just over and over again. The Hugo 2 bassline with it rocks.

Agreed! Don't sell it, on an off day.

Mar 15, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #11,572 of 22,535

Faintly hearing the start of the next track is evidence of 'print through' on the original analogue tape, and that the CD was not remastered as part of the loudness wars.
Arguably it is also evidence of the resolving power of the Hugo 2.
Overall don't lose that disc - even though it is not a great recording, it possesses a lot of 'musical atmosphere'.

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #11,573 of 22,535
Faintly hearing the start of the next track is evidence of 'print through' on the original analogue tape...
Even more amazing is when you hear the piano note cue to the singer's headphones ...leaking thru the ear muffin to the microphone. If I remember which track I heard it, I'll let you know...

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #11,574 of 22,535
Curious; which album?

I didn't name it since it probably isn't relevant to almost anyone here, at least its language. The music is wonderful. It's an album of Israeli singer named Gidi Gov and composed/arranged/produced by an amazing musician named Yoni Rechter.
ozFlMfo.png

Tidal - https://tidal.com/album/65110783
Spotify -
Deezer - http://www.deezer.com/album/1407540...08&utm_term=1772227_1521146847&utm_medium=web

Mar 15, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #11,575 of 22,535
Faintly hearing the start of the next track is evidence of 'print through' on the original analogue tape, and that the CD was not remastered as part of the loudness wars.
Arguably it is also evidence of the resolving power of the Hugo 2.
Overall don't lose that disc - even though it is not a great recording, it possesses a lot of 'musical atmosphere'.

That's very interesting, I haven't heard of "print through" of tapes. I'll have to read about it.
You're probably right about the resolving power of the Hugo 2. I think the first time I heard it was using my Mojo :)
I will never lose that disc, one of my favorites of all time!

EDIT: BTW, 'musical atmosphere' is something that I think is missing greatly in most of today's recordings which are so clean, computer clinical and "perfect", and used to be much more common in old analog recordings.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #11,577 of 22,535
When you say server you mean the laptop.. I think the laptop sounds than the rest but I'm putting that down to Roon
No I dont mean that. An iPhone or lab top should sound the same, excluding rf and you go to airplane mode. A quality music server running roon core is absolutely another level up in sq. I don’t stream all that qbuz,tidal,mq whatever, although my server does have all those options.
I’m not saying anything about naim myself but others have suggested it didn’t make as much an improvement but that’s second hand I don’t know. What I do know after talking with a few high end audio retailers is that antipodes audio kept coming to the top of the list. It is for me the most significant improvement for my TT. I liked TT as a desktop above ch1 or ch2 but I digress. 9am not an expert who has tried a variety of servers.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #11,578 of 22,535
It's expecting to be used next as a mobile device, that's why I put the turn-off feature in. The battery temp when in desktop mode is not much greater than ambient, so I would not worry about that. The batteries are rated at high temperature anyway.

Hi Rob. I use the Hugo 2 almost exclusively in desktop mode. I use it about one hour a day, sometimes once in two or three days. Is it better to keep it turned on 24/7 than turn it off after use? And if so, what’s the difference in power usage when turned off vs turned off without playing? It feels unnatural for me to not turn it off after use.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #11,579 of 22,535
Turn it off, leave it plugged in. 3.5 years for me.

Mar 15, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #11,580 of 22,535
Having to move my phone away to read the texts,must be long sited,never thought I'd see
No I dont mean that. An iPhone or lab top should sound the same, excluding rf and you go to airplane mode. A quality music server running roon core is absolutely another level up in sq. I don’t stream all that qbuz,tidal,mq whatever, although my server does have all those options.
I’m not saying anything about naim myself but others have suggested it didn’t make as much an improvement but that’s second hand I don’t know. What I do know after talking with a few high end audio retailers is that antipodes audio kept coming to the top of the list. It is for me the most significant improvement for my TT. I liked TT as a desktop above ch1 or ch2 but I digress. 9am not an expert who has tried a variety of servers.
Think I'll need to inbox you mate so you can explain in more detail to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back