Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 16, 2018 at 4:26 AM Post #11,596 of 22,516
You’ve certainly got it figured out, Mr. Watts! My ears never seem to disagree with your theories (or shall we call it proven science). This is why I knew, after being wowed by my Mojo, that my next desktop solution would be powered by a Chord product. When the Qutest came out I thought that would be it, but then I read your statements that for headphone use the Hugo 2 was the better choice and I placed an order blindly, without having auditioned it beforehand. Obviously I'm wowed again! :grin:
I liked your hugo review from earlier, can I ask what headphones you are pairing it with?

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #11,597 of 22,516
Has anyone tried the toslink vs USB input on H2, any noticeable difference?

I was speed reading through this thread but I don't think anyone replied.

When Hugo2 is driving my headphones (HD800S and Nighthawk Carbons) directly: nope, I've not heard any night and day difference at all, i.e. there's no chance I'd be able to pick between the 2 in a blind test. I can say that even without doing the blind test.

That's comparing a very 'pimped out' Sonore UltraRendu setup vs short glass TOSLink (Lifatec) cable.

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #11,599 of 22,516
Wow, didn't realize I was writing a 'review', lol. Thanks!
I'm using Audeze LCD-3 fazored with 2017 drivers (they were originally made in 2014).
Ok maybe not a review, but I really enjoyed reading it all the same, it was the opposite of buyers remorse!

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #11,602 of 22,516
That sense of tangibility, solidity and instrument power is even more enhanced when you connect an M scaler. I added that comment not as a cheap M scaler advert, but to illustrate the point that reconstructing transients more accurately gives better instrument separation and focus, and reduces the dominance effect.
I dont think that I even need another advert, but from now on every commentary about it just makes the water in my mouth run down :). I hope that the affordable M scaler is on its way and that it makes the same improvements to the music as Blu 2, just without the CD-reader.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #11,603 of 22,516
I know this has been discussed often on this thread, but I'm having trouble deciding on which IEMs to get for a more portable H2 setup.

I'd like to get something "heavy" enough that the hiss problem discussed elsewhere is not something I need to deal with.
Other than that, I listen to mostly jazz and classical and some soft vocal rock (male and female).
So, I lean towards a flatter response, and good sound separation. Not really that interested in bass (though a little bit of bass never hurts on the rare occasions I listen to something a little thumpier).

I used ER4P for years and liked the sound separation a ton, great at the time out of the iPhone 6 as long as I sat absolutely still to avoid microphonics, but on the H2, Etys sound abnormally artificial, even more than when connecting to any other source. So maybe something a tad more natural.

Also, with IEMs, I break them, so preferably nothing above $400 (a compromise between the best I can get, but won't feel devastated if I damage them).

I noticed Periodic Audio's BE seem to have decent reviews.
UE has a pair in my price range.

Does anyone have any advice?

For headphone sound preferences on the H2, I like T1, Utopia, the most. HD800 comes next. M50X is very good, M70X and Fostex TR80/250 is pretty good. I also have W2002 from years ago. Dunno if that implies my sound preferences well.

Mar 16, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #11,604 of 22,516
I know this has been discussed often on this thread, but I'm having trouble deciding on which IEMs to get for a more portable H2 setup.

I'd like to get something "heavy" enough that the hiss problem discussed elsewhere is not something I need to deal with.
Other than that, I listen to mostly jazz and classical and some soft vocal rock (male and female).
So, I lean towards a flatter response, and good sound separation. Not really that interested in bass (though a little bit of bass never hurts on the rare occasions I listen to something a little thumpier).

I used ER4P for years and liked the sound separation a ton, great at the time out of the iPhone 6 as long as I sat absolutely still to avoid microphonics, but on the H2, Etys sound abnormally artificial, even more than when connecting to any other source. So maybe something a tad more natural.

Also, with IEMs, I break them, so preferably nothing above $400 (a compromise between the best I can get, but won't feel devastated if I damage them).

For headphone sound preferences on the H2, I like T1, Utopia, the most. HD800 comes next. M50X is very good, M70X and Fostex TR80/250 is pretty good. I also have W2002 from years ago. Dunno if that implies my sound preferences well.
If it is possible in your country, I suggest you the Grado GR10e.
https://the-gadgeteer.com/2016/07/24/grado-gr10e-in-ear-headphones-review/

http://noustestons.com/top-10-meilleurs-ecouteurs/

http://advancedmp3players.co.uk/blog/?page_id=4005

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/9/14558092/etymotic-er4-grado-gr10e-headphones-review

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #11,605 of 22,516

I don’t think you’d regret se846, can add a few mods, it’s really really good, and only £500.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3090/shure_se846_sound_isolating_earphones_headphones(clear)

Mar 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #11,606 of 22,516
That's very interesting, I haven't heard of "print through" of tapes. I'll have to read about it.
You're probably right about the resolving power of the Hugo 2. I think the first time I heard it was using my Mojo :)
I will never lose that disc, one of my favorites of all time!

EDIT: BTW, 'musical atmosphere' is something that I think is missing greatly in most of today's recordings which are so clean, computer clinical and "perfect", and used to be much more common in old analog recordings.
You do get print through mentioned on

A word of caution, in that some owners find the SE846 great for jazz, but others find the high sensitivity of the iem leads to hiss.
I find the AKT8ie mk2 to be very good for jazz, but I do read posts saying that the newer Beyer equivalent Xelento is an even better iem. If my AKT8 dies, then I will investigate the Xelento.
There are quite a few good reviews for the Forrest FLC8S, although I suspect that a replacement cable would be necessary.
Overall posters can merely suggest iems that you should demo - only you can decide if you like the sound signature.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #11,607 of 22,516
In the past I have talked about this kind of thing - it's when the loudest instrument dominates, and your attention constantly shifts too the loudest instrument. If you listen to live unamplified music, a quiet instrument will play in the background and is unaffected by an extremely loud one; once you recognise this behaviour you can't go back to other DAC's.

Technically, it's primarily down to two reasons - lack of noise floor modulation - and the WTA filter. That sense of tangibility, solidity and instrument power is even more enhanced when you connect an M scaler. I added that comment not as a cheap M scaler advert, but to illustrate the point that reconstructing transients more accurately gives better instrument separation and focus, and reduces the dominance effect.

This constant switching of attention to the loudest instrument is a key destroyer of musicality, and it's the second biggest source of listening fatigue - the first being a sound that is obviously hard and bright!

I agree 100% with Rob. The additional of a Blu2 to the Hugo2 is akin to strapping on a pair of rocket boosters to the Hugo2! I never knew what my Hugo2 is capable of until I paired it with the Blu2.

Mar 16, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #11,608 of 22,516
You do get print through mentioned on

A word of caution, in that some owners find the SE846 great for jazz, but others find the high sensitivity of the iem leads to hiss.
I find the AKT8ie mk2 to be very good for jazz, but I do read posts saying that the newer Beyer equivalent Xelento is an even better iem. If my AKT8 dies, then I will investigate the Xelento.
There are quite a few good reviews for the Forrest FLC8S, although I suspect that a replacement cable would be necessary.
Overall posters can merely suggest iems that you should demo - only you can decide if you like the sound signature.

Thank you. Very helpful. The FLC8S seems interesting! The others are out of my price range. I'm happy to spend bigger $ on headphones that stay at home. Not so much on IEMs that will travel with me.

I don’t think you’d regret se846, can add a few mods, it’s really really good, and only £500.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/3090/shure_se846_sound_isolating_earphones_headphones(clear)

Thank you. I have been curious about these

Thank you. Much appreciated. I do have a really old pair of Grado headphones lying around somewhere. IEMs from them sound interesting.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #11,609 of 22,516
I never knew what my Hugo2 is capable of until I paired it with the Blu2.
I am already sure that a lot of the 2go owners will say the same. Like Mojo owners have done with Poly.

How much dreamers about a mscaler for Hugo2 and Qutest (not transportable) connected with the 2go?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #11,610 of 22,516
Thank you. Very helpful. The FLC8S seems interesting! The others are out of my price range. I'm happy to spend bigger $ on headphones that stay at home. Not so much on IEMs that will travel with me.

Thank you. I have been curious about these

Thank you. Much appreciated. I do have a really old pair of Grado headphones lying around somewhere. IEMs from them sound interesting.
Don't know about the GR10E. But my first IEMs were the GR10. I loved the portable Grado sound, but found them too delecate, with their thin wire and non-interchangable (i.e. repairable) construction. I'd say, buy at your own risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back