Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #11,551 of 22,537
I hate I phones with a passion but with Android play store usb pro by passes the dac so the Hugo 2 does all the work,why Qobuz through a wired connection and Qobuz hi rez wireless?

Just to clarify before silly rumours start about the usage of the source DAC feeding an external DAC and bypassing source DACs...

UAPP’s job is to decode the file format (FLAC, ALAC, MP3, etc.) just like any other software music decoder and the app always bypasses the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) when outputting a digital signal. What it does specifically is it bypasses the Android SRC (Sample Rate Conversion), before the signal is sent to the DAC... there isn’t two stage DAC usage. All digital output signals from the source bypass the DAC by default (otherwise it wouldn’t be a digital signal anymore). The Hugo2 always does all the DAC duties but it’s best to not upsample the file fed to the Hugo2 like what Android’s OS does by default, which is why UAPP is good, but it’s all software not hardware.

Think about it... why would one convert the digital file to analogue and then back to digital to feed to a DAC just to convert it back to analogue? Some powered speakers do this as well as some ‘higher end’ DACs, but it is far from the norm.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #11,552 of 22,537
Just to clarify before silly rumours start about the usage of the source DAC feeding an external DAC and bypassing source DACs...

UAPP’s job is to decode the file format (FLAC, ALAC, MP3, etc.) just like any other software music decoder and the app always bypasses the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) when outputting a digital signal. What it does specifically is it bypasses the Android SRC (Sample Rate Conversion), before the signal is sent to the DAC... there isn’t two stage DAC usage. All digital output signals from the source bypass the DAC by default (otherwise it wouldn’t be a digital signal anymore). The Hugo2 always does all the DAC duties but it’s best to not upsample the file fed to the Hugo2 like what Android’s OS does by default, which is why UAPP is good, but it’s all software not hardware.

Think about it... why would one convert the digital file to analogue and then back to digital to feed to a DAC just to convert it back to analogue? Some powered speakers do this as well as some ‘higher end’ DACs, but it is far from the norm.
But just to simplify download usb pro player if Android on play store by pass the dac and your in business,I phone download onkyo player

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #11,553 of 22,537
But just to simplify download usb pro player if Android on play store by pass the dac and your in business,I phone download onkyo player

Again, you may be confusing new comers. USB Audio Pro Player is used to bypass Android’s SRC, not the source DAC. Bypassing the source DAC to an external DAC is a given and always happens.

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #11,554 of 22,537
Again, you may be confusing new comers. USB Audio Pro Player is used to bypass Android’s SRC, not the source DAC. Bypassing the source DAC to an external DAC is a given and always happens.
If I don't download the USB pro player,it plays from my phone speakers,through USB pro player it by passes the dac and amp and let's the Hugo 2 do all the work

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:19 PM Post #11,555 of 22,537
Hi, thanks for all the replies. I’m on the iPhone and I use the Qobuz app to stream and play my hi-res music. I connect to the Mojo via the usb camera cable. I know it bypasses the internal DAC on the phone and sends the digital signal straight to the Mojo. So far, so good. However, I noticed a considerable difference between different players, so for example, Qobuz would sound much nicer than Tidal. It was when I realised that the player could have a big impact on the sound quality.
Having said that, I know that if I stream with Poly, I don’t have to worry about the player, because Poly’s internal player would be used instead, and the app on the phone would only work as a mere controller.

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #11,557 of 22,537
If I don't download the USB pro player,it plays from my phone speakers,through USB pro player it by passes the dac and amp and let's the Hugo 2 do all the work

Ah, this I did not know. There have been many users who use UAPP to bypass Android’s SRC, but they’ve also used other players to output to an external DAC but with Android’s default upsampling. This is where I was confused by your assertion but it seems that not all Android phones (OS version) behave the same.

Mar 14, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #11,558 of 22,537
[QUOTE="Mbarbieri, post: 14103056, member: 492982"
Having said that, I know that if I stream with Poly, I don’t have to worry about the player, because Poly’s internal player would be used instead, and the app on the phone would only work as a mere controller.[/QUOTE]
It is not totally true with android if you use bubbleUPnP. With bubbleUpnp you can convert the Flac file in wav with ffmpeg. For me Qobuz is better in this case with Poly.
Maybe some sotfwares on ios do the same.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #11,559 of 22,537
Hi, thanks for all the replies. I’m on the iPhone and I use the Qobuz app to stream and play my hi-res music. I connect to the Mojo via the usb camera cable. I know it bypasses the internal DAC on the phone and sends the digital signal straight to the Mojo. So far, so good. However, I noticed a considerable difference between different players, so for example, Qobuz would sound much nicer than Tidal. It was when I realised that the player could have a big impact on the sound quality.
Having said that, I know that if I stream with Poly, I don’t have to worry about the player, because Poly’s internal player would be used instead, and the app on the phone would only work as a mere controller.
I'm not familiar with Qobuz,I had the naim nd5 xs,I stopped using the dac and used my Chord 2 qute,then I got the Hugo 2,I swapped over my naim to my Samsung s8 + using usb pro player I couldn't hear any difference in sound quality,I asked my Mrs to sit with me and she couldn't hear any difference,so I sold my naim and used my laptop and set up Roon and used my phone as the controller,once I set up the right Chord driver I found the sound quality was better than using tidal with the naim,plus naim app was terrible it kept freezing and drop outs all the time,I had to power down the streamer every week as well,with roon it works perfectly no latency issues at all,I spoke to Rob and I agree I can't hear any difference between sources to the Hugo 2 but I do think Roon sounds better than tidal once set up properly

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #11,560 of 22,537
You can’t hear differences in sources for Hugo2 is like saying it doesn’t matter for any chord product. This is the second poster that was not happy with naim, I have no personal experience, but in my server experience, a few names came up that didn’t impress.
The single biggest improvement for me with TT was my antipodes audio source by far. I posted why is it that TT sings now and just came alive? No response from Robb, but I suggest source matters, a lot.

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #11,561 of 22,537
I have a source with 2 usb buses.
1 bus with 3 usb 2.0.and one usb 3.0
1 bus with 2 usb 3.0.
One of the 6 is better.
On the best one if i convert a flac file to wav with dbpoweramp, I prefer when the source plays the wav file. Each time that i do the test with a friend, he is estonish and he agrees.
For me it is the same with the Poly.
I suggest you to try with Qobuz and Tidal with BubbleUpnp
When i will use the 2go, I think it will be the same.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #11,562 of 22,537
You can’t hear differences in sources for Hugo2 is like saying it doesn’t matter for any chord product. This is the second poster that was not happy with naim, I have no personal experience, but in my server experience, a few names came up that didn’t impress.
The single biggest improvement for me with TT was my antipodes audio source by far. I posted why is it that TT sings now and just came alive? No response from Robb, but I suggest source matters, a lot.
I'm not saying all sources mate just the ones I've tried,iPhone iPad laptop, naim streamer,Samsung 8 plus

Mar 14, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #11,563 of 22,537
I'm not saying all sources mate just the ones I've tried,iPhone iPad laptop, naim streamer,Samsung 8 plus
well the phone and iPad make sense. The music server is a mystery to me.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #11,564 of 22,537
My recommendation is go for Mojo.

I believe the Chord products have the most detailed, resolving dacs I’ve heard.

I own Mojo, Hugo 2 and WA8.

I love them all and won’t get rid of any of them. But if I had to pick one after hearing them all & considering price. I would choose Mojo and be a very happy man.

Good luck choosing

well the phone and iPad make sense. The music server is a mystery to me.

Im just enjoying my H2 with my A18's M20 module steaming Bluetooth mp3's from bandcamp from my S8+. Sublime, takes the bandcamp mp3's to the next level. If I like an album I'll dl the flac and then run it via uapp in airplane mode to H2 for those times when I want to hear peak performance. BTW what kinda dog is that, cute as hell.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #11,565 of 22,537
Hi Chord team, can I ask why Hugo2 in desktop mode need to charge the battery to 100% when I turn it off while plugging? I understand that in desktop mode it will use battery to certain level before bypass the battery for battery healthy. But why can't you let it stay at that level when I turn it off? Charging it when off then use battery when on create a lot off heat and shorten the battery lifespan. That destroy the purpose of desktop mode for me. If I want to use it in mobile mode I can disable desktop mode in advance to fully charge it manually. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back