Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 22, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #11,131 of 22,475
does having the charger plugged in whilst playing cancel out the galvanic isolation from an optical input. no usb in is connected just optical?

Not if driving headphones - there needs to be a 'loop' between mains connected power supplies. No loop, then no ground or leakage current loops possible, i.e. no problems.

It's when you have a mains connected USB source and maybe a mains connected pre or integrated amp connected to Hugo2, that you MAY have issues, as you now have ground / leakage current loops.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #11,132 of 22,475
Seeking really good isolation from outside noise. Your recommendation for full size closed over ear headphone for Chord Hugo 2?
Based on the most recommendations made on the dedicated thread, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aeon-mrspeakers-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone.833820/, you may give a shot to Aeon Flow Closed. Also Rob Watts consider Aeon Flow Closed one of his favorites.
Hope this helps.

Edited to point to the right Aeon Flow Closed thread.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #11,133 of 22,475
Does someone know a good way to attach the Hugo 2 to a table so it won't fall off when I accedently pull on my headphones?

I've posted this before but very happy to do so again. I had 4 polymer supports left over so I have put them under my Hugo 2, because they are a bit sticky your Hugo 2 is much less likely to move and there's the added advantage of better cooling too. You can buy them on Amazon or at a hi-fi dealer's online store.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #11,134 of 22,475
I've posted this before but very happy to do so again. I had 4 polymer supports left over so I have put them under my Hugo 2, because they are a bit sticky your Hugo 2 is much less likely to move and there's the added advantage of better cooling too. You can buy them on Amazon or at a hi-fi dealer's online store.

What do you mean by polymer supports I can't find anything under this term on amazon or google other than chemical formulars.

Feb 22, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #11,135 of 22,475
Is there any solution to the pops when moving from DSD to PCM?
I tried using resync delay on Roon (Rob said inserting silence upon sampling rate change should solve it) but it did nothing to eliminate the problem.

Feb 22, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #11,138 of 22,475
The Aeon Flow Cs are pretty good but I found them not as resolving as the Ethers.
I guess they are great for the price in that they are only half the price as the Ethers but much more than half as good.

Every time I listened to them, there was something missing... purely my opinion, of course. It goes to prove that no hp is for everyone.

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #11,140 of 22,475
Does the charging light ever go out on this thing?

Edit: Okay, so it just did (sod's law there). But 4 hours @ 2A's my arse.

Patiently waiting on your impressions compared to DAVE and Yggdrasil V1 or V2 analog :)

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #11,141 of 22,475
Patiently waiting on your impressions compared to DAVE and Yggdrasil V1 or V2 analog :)

This post (scroll down a page), in this thread, will give you my original Yggdrasil vs. DAVE comparison, so need to wait on that.

DAVE vs. Yggdrasil Analog 2 ... well ... I just got my Analog 2 upgrade so that's warming up now.

Feb 23, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #11,142 of 22,475
This post (scroll down a page), in this thread, will give you my original Yggdrasil vs. DAVE comparison, so need to wait on that.

DAVE vs. Yggdrasil Analog 2 ... well ... I just got my Analog 2 upgrade so that's warming up now.

Thank you. Since the price of Hugo 2 is closer to Yggdrasil, it would be very interesting if it can match it in all areas. I believe last time I read your DAVE impressions that you still prefer Yggdrasil’s bass and piano rendition slightly while DAVE takes the rest of the areas slightly as well. IIRC, from Your impressions I think only the Linn DS/3 streamer with the network module beats the DAVE and Yggdrasil for the most part

Feb 23, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #11,143 of 22,475
This might sound like a strange request, but does anyone have The Police's Reggatta de Blanc on DSD and can tell me if the Hi-hats sound too piercing and fatiguing on Walking on the Moon?
I only have the H2 for a few days and it's playing only when I'm listening, so I might be at the stage of (brain?) break in where things start to sound worse before they get better.
Also, my source is a desktop PC with an AQ Jitterbug + Uptone REGEN for USB reclocking. I'm not sure if I have room to improve in the source section, and that might help keep the highs smoother?

EDIT: It's not throughout the entire track, just at some places.
I'm listening straight out of the H2 with LCD3, so the problem is probably not with the headphones

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #11,144 of 22,475
I shot a quick update about my experiences with the headphone driving ability of the Hugo 2 and how to use the coaxial inputs. Nothing particularly new, but I wanted to update my review(s).

Feb 23, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #11,145 of 22,475
This might sound like a strange request, but does anyone have The Police's Reggatta de Blanc on DSD and can tell me if the Hi-hats sound too piercing and fatiguing on Walking on the Moon?
I only have the H2 for a few days and it's playing only when I'm listening, so I might be at the stage of (brain?) break in where things start to sound worse before they get better.
Also, my source is a desktop PC with an AQ Jitterbug + Uptone REGEN for USB reclocking. I'm not sure if I have room to improve in the source section, and that might help keep the highs smoother?

EDIT: It's not throughout the entire track, just at some places.
I'm listening straight out of the H2 with LCD3, so the problem is probably not with the headphones
It might very well be the source.
Have you heard it with a different DAC?
There is always improvements you can do but regen it’s a pretty solid cleaner.
You could try with galvanic isolation (igalvanic 3.0) but I don’t think it will make night and day difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back