Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 23, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #11,146 of 22,516
I shot a quick update about my experiences with the headphone driving ability of the Hugo 2 and how to use the coaxial inputs. Nothing particularly new, but I wanted to update my review(s).

Already checked it out, very interesting actually!

Feb 23, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #11,147 of 22,516
It might very well be the source.
Have you heard it with a different DAC?
There is always improvements you can do but regen it’s a pretty solid cleaner.
You could try with galvanic isolation (igalvanic 3.0) but I don’t think it will make night and day difference.

Thanks! I heard it with other DACs and I don't remember it being this piercing. I guess I should try it again with the Mojo and compare. I will have a look at the igalvanic (but doesn't Rob Watts say galvanic isolation is not needed when not using an external amp?)

I also wonder if there is a cheap way to test out the optical input. My pc doesn't have optical out.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #11,148 of 22,516
Thanks! I heard it with other DACs and I don't remember it being this piercing. I guess I should try it again with the Mojo and compare. I will have a look at the igalvanic (but doesn't Rob Watts say galvanic isolation is not needed when not using an external amp?)

I also wonder if there is a cheap way to test out the optical input. My pc doesn't have optical out.

Maybe you need some time to adjust to different sounds, I remember when I first heard mojo couple years back it made everything sound thick and heavy because of it seemed like there was 16 layers in the bass and a generaly more weightier sound that I was used to. But after a good week or 2 it went back closer to “normal” and wasn’t so overwhelming.

might be at the stage of (brain?) break in where things start to sound worse before they get betters

The issue I had with bass you could be now having with treble instead.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 7:57 AM Post #11,150 of 22,516
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #11,151 of 22,516
The sound of Omega's started to open up.
Is magical paired with Hugo 2. So magical, that listening to headphones again is kind of impossible :)

WEBPAGE_20180103_171936.jpg

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #11,152 of 22,516
Yesterday and today, the H2 doesn't sound as good as it did the first couple of days after I received it earlier this week. And I think I might have another explanation other than the break in curve.
I have been sacrificing sleep just to have some more time with it each night (I have 2 little daughters so almost no time during the day), and so I just might be generally fatigued regardless of the H2.
I think I just need a long sleep...

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #11,153 of 22,516
Based on the most recommendations made on the dedicated thread, https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aeon-mrspeakers-new-closed-back-planar-magnetic-headphone.833820/, you may give a shot to Aeon Flow Closed. Also Rob Watts consider Aeon Flow Closed one of his favorites.
Hope this helps..

I love my Aeon Closed with Hugo 2

Tried Aeon on my small head, they were enormous and cumbersome. Few make headphone that fits well on small noggins. If only could wear IEM but can't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #11,154 of 22,516
Yesterday and today, the H2 doesn't sound as good as it did the first couple of days after I received it earlier this week...

Dont fret. I was the last reviewer for the Hugo2 Canadian Tour - so about 5 people had the H2 before me - each for about 10 days. I expected when it got to me that it would have been burned in. But no. It took three days of playing it 24hours a day before it became magical. There is something funky about the H2's components that require an extended time.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #11,155 of 22,516
Dont fret. I was the last reviewer for the Hugo2 Canadian Tour - so about 5 people had the H2 before me - each for about 10 days. I expected when it got to me that it would have been burned in. But no. It took three days of playing it 24hours a day before it became magical. There is something funky about the H2's components that require an extended time.

I'm leaning more and more towards believing that for the most part, break in is a process that happens in our brain and less in the electronics themselves. This is also what Chord claims, and I find they are usually right.

Feb 23, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #11,156 of 22,516
[/QUOTE]

You fellows got me thinkin'. Maybe Hugo 2 used principally driving Omega Juniors. Prefer speaker to headphone listening anyway. Dedicated Chord app for Hugo 2/2 Go would be clincher. Don't care much for third party apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #11,157 of 22,516
I shot a quick update about my experiences with the headphone driving ability of the Hugo 2 and how to use the coaxial inputs. Nothing particularly new, but I wanted to update my review(s).

I've also heard a point that the more connections you go across, the worse the signal gets. Meaning just using the adapter would contribute to poorer performance. (Interesting point about the 2.5mm sound facet also.)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #11,158 of 22,516
This will clear your sinuses, Nightwish playing to 85,000 at Wacken Festival 2013, the female vocalist Floor Jansen is a star performer, sounds great with Hugo 2/Focal Utopias with Moon Audio Black Dragon cable

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #11,159 of 22,516
I'm leaning more and more towards believing that for the most part, break in is a process that happens in our brain and less in the electronics themselves. This is also what Chord claims, and I find they are usually right.

I have always thought the same as well. We don't hear sounds, we get a software/hardware ie brain processed version of the sound waves. No wonder what we think we hear varies after a few days or weeks of getting new kit.

Feb 23, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #11,160 of 22,516
Anyone have an opinion on using "maximum upsampling" (or upsampling in general) on Audirvana plus while using Hugo 2?

I get a bit lost in the technology and appreciate the educated views expressed here. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back