Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #10,996 of 22,516
No, my point is that the cd mechanism in the Blu2 and the fact that the Blu2 has a digital input means that there is a direct comparison available between the cd and the digital input. That means that the cd reference can be used to evaluate different streamed inputs. If the streamed input is as good as the cd then you are in business. If it is better than the cd then sit back and listen to the music!
So this is my first post on this thread and on this site in fact. Hello everybody!
I was reading this thread starting from around page 250. I am a happy (and proud) owner of Chord Mojo and so I got interested in Hugo 2 as a major upgrade to my music listening experience. I guess I will buy it as a present to my upcoming birthday in March :)
Anyway, back to the topic, I was thinking to join Head-Fi and actually start posting for quite some time, and the vastly arrogant "review" in the above quote just moved me to do it, because it contradicted everything I had learned reading this and Rob Watt's thread.
The author of that review spent unbelievably long time with tested Hugo 2, almost an hour (!), how did he manage to do all those tests? Not to mention the "490000" taps, so Hugo 2 should be three time better than Dave.
And my favorite part, the WTA filter and custom made FPGAs being only a "marketing nonsense". Well all of these just makes the credibility of that review really high, isn't it?
Sometimes we don't have to trust everything written over internet, you know. Especially when it is obvious BS.

I was lucky to find some local dealer who got Hugo 2 for audition and spent about two hours with just lost in music. From the first song I knew how much better than Mojo it was, music was just so detailed and effortless, and at the same time fluent and cohesive, unbelievable!

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #10,997 of 22,516
Wow, you just reminded me of a Teac CD player I had, built like a tank, with a square illuminated play button. Forgot I ever owned that! Must have followed the Philips, Mission and others in the seeking to get away from digitalness :)
I can't remember half the stuff I've bought over the years but I know it started with an amstrad stack

Feb 16, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #10,998 of 22,516
So this is my first post on this thread and on this site in fact. Hello everybody!
I was reading this thread starting from around page 250. I am a happy (and proud) owner of Chord Mojo and so I got interested in Hugo 2 as a major upgrade to my music listening experience. I guess I will buy it as a present to my upcoming birthday in March :)
Anyway, back to the topic, I was thinking to join Head-Fi and actually start posting for quite some time, and the vastly arrogant "review" in the above quote just moved me to do it, because it contradicted everything I had learned reading this and Rob Watt's thread.
The author of that review spent unbelievably long time with tested Hugo 2, almost an hour (!), how did he manage to do all those tests? Not to mention the "490000" taps, so Hugo 2 should be three time better than Dave.
And my favorite part, the WTA filter and custom made FPGAs being only a "marketing nonsense". Well all of these just makes the credibility of that review really high, isn't it?
Sometimes we don't have to trust everything written over internet, you know. Especially when it is obvious BS.

I was lucky to find some local dealer who got Hugo 2 for audition and spent about two hours with just lost in music. From the first song I knew how much better than Mojo it was, music was just so detailed and effortless, and at the same time fluent and cohesive, unbelievable!
Welcome to head fi but until you actually buy a Chord Hugo 2 and we want a pic you holding it on your head standing on one leg,trust me we all had to do it in Ere,I'm not gonna talk to you

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #10,999 of 22,516
I can't remember half the stuff I've bought over the years but I know it started with an amstrad stack

Oh, as a teenager I so wanted that Amstrad three pronged turntable but couldn’t afford it! Pioneer 112D rings a bell of first one I actually got. Anyway, enough off topic reminiscing!

I don’t believe that Source makes ‘no’ difference, that’s why I said ‘significant’. I actually thought I could hear a slight difference between my DACS, then wondered if placebo. But I think say the difference when I compared Mojo to Hugo1 was far far greater. So at Dave Blu level, when that part of the system is top notch, then obviously small differences will appear magnified. But at a lower level, I think it is more marginal.

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #11,000 of 22,516
Oh, as a teenager I so wanted that Amstrad three pronged turntable but couldn’t afford it! Pioneer 112D rings a bell of first one I actually got. Anyway, enough off topic reminiscing!

I don’t believe that Source makes ‘no’ difference, that’s why I said ‘significant’. I actually thought I could hear a slight difference between my DACS, then wondered if placebo. But I think say the difference when I compared Mojo to Hugo1 was far far greater. So at Dave Blu level, when that part of the system is top notch, then obviously small differences will appear magnified. But at a lower level, I think it is more marginal.
I use to unscrew my amstrad when my parents were in bed and opened it up and was so amazed how much empty space was inside,paid 159 pounds and 149 quid of it was fresh air

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #11,001 of 22,516

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #11,002 of 22,516

Yes; welcome aboard. Your sense of irony will serv you well, here.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #11,004 of 22,516
I’m not sure why people keep assuming an iPhone or iPad isn’t a good source for the Hugo 2. If anything it will be better than using a PC or Mac.

An iPhone in airplane mode and Onkyo HF Player (which transmits bit perfect) will be as good or better than any other source.
+1
Mobile sources in airplane mode are the cleanest provided you have a decent player.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #11,006 of 22,516
I’m not sure why people keep assuming an iPhone or iPad isn’t a good source for the Hugo 2. If anything it will be better than using a PC or Mac.

An iPhone in airplane mode and Onkyo HF Player (which transmits bit perfect) will be as good or better than any other source.
But isn’t the cck cable responsible for a little bit of loss in the sound quality ?

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #11,007 of 22,516
Would the iPod touch be as good as the iPhone in airplane mode?
I get so much interference and static when I use my iPhone without the airplane mode that I am thinking about getting an iPod touch just for my H2. That way I don't have to keep connecting and disconnecting also.

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #11,010 of 22,516
i was toying with the idea of upgrading from my mojo to a dave using H2 a stepping stone for a while now. however after seeing mython's recommendation for the new casio dac which is actually reported to possibly outperform blu/dave and retails for £5.99 i have had to rethink my strategy. the only problem is that after extensive online searching i cannot find it for sale in any of the big hifi dealers. could someone guide me please.:corn::green_apple::kiwi:

endless love // lionel ritchie // diana ross // roon //

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back