Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #10,966 of 22,467
Is it enough to justify such a high price when I'm only going to use it at home? We'll see

I bought my Hugo 2 solely to use at home with my laptop. I haven't used a Mojo but it's a bit bizarre to claim it sounds better than a Hugo 2? Of course we all like a different kind of sound, maybe I liked my Audioquest Dragonfly Red sound more than the Hugo 2 that replaced it? Don't think so...........

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #10,968 of 22,467
Good morning guys and gals. I am new to this thread and being so haven't had a chance to read through it and make what should be, a well read and advised reply ( I will binge read this thread over the next few days ), but have to comment on this whole measument nonsense. I'm sure there is some truth to measuments of audio gear and do not want to create a huge stir and I usually NEVER comment on things like this as I, and 99% of the community could not prove right or wrong in the end, anyways. I would just like to post what happened to me this week and my thoughts on this whole tattletale BS with some wave measuments.

So, I was sent a message via head fi advised that there was a group chat on Telegram ( an android app ) where there were a bunch of people from my area have collected to share their obsessions of the hobby and organize local meets. This was a first for me and I welcomed it with open arms. It was fun, fast paced and non uncensored. I introduced myself and my OCD'ness with trying to find my audio euphoria which i came to realize isnt rare in this hobby. I went on explaining my coming and going with planar magnetic cans and how I'm stuck on the HD800's right now and how I just placed an order for a Schiit Yggdrasil. This is where it gets interesting.... almost.... to a tee..... what I've just read from the last 2 pages and Im sure if in continue on reading, for many more along with that link to a researcher bashing any and all DAC's but the inexpensive China box he claims to have perfect output sinewave. This guy in the chat was either in on the conspiracy, or brainwashed to the max. He mentioned the same researcher / reviewer Amirm.

For me, it's obvious that this person has set out a clear path to discredit other DAC's which now I know of 2 ( The Chord Hugo 2 and the Yggy which he claimed Amirm is testing as we speak and the results will be out next week ), to bring another companys DAC's sales up. This fact alone shows wrong and ill-full intent and in my book will be dismissed as truth as the motive is clear.

Eric

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #10,969 of 22,467
I don't think so either

The best thing any one of us can do is to listen to a Hugo 2 with your own headphones and music you are well familiar with. Does the sound bring pleasure and joy? Why does it? What is your budget? Does the option of being able to buy a very small dac/amp that takes up only a little space (and is transportable) interest you? Or does the way you intend to use your dac/amp mean that a much larger box doesn't matter? What facilities do you need with your dac/amp?
Apparently this man's measurements mean that my Utopias don't play nicely in the bass with a Hugo 2? I've never read such a bit of nonsense and the fact that any of us are taking elements of a single review seriously reflects poorly upon us tbh. The only 'review' someone who is considering buying a Hugo 2 (or any other dac/amp) should take notice of is the audition at their local hi-fi dealer or at a friend who already has a Hugo 2.
Listening to the lovely new album by Rae Morris 'Someone Out There' on Spotify Free, plenty of electronic bass, she has a beautiful voice, sophisticated pop music (if only I had a decent dac/amp to go with my Utopias, ha ha).

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #10,970 of 22,467
I agree with everything you wrote! It would have been easier if I had had access to a H2 to audition it. Anyways, that ship has already sailed (literally :grimacing:). Soon I will find out just how worthwhile this purchase was (My bet - I will fall in love with the H2).

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #10,971 of 22,467
Soon I will find out just how worthwhile this purchase was (My bet - I will fall in love with the H2).

I really liked the Hugo 2 + AKG K812 combination when I auditioned at Audio Sanctuary/Unilet and I knew I would buy one in 15 minutes, the next 45 minutes listening reinforced my decision. Don't expect the world when it arrives, like most hi-fi components, the Hugo 2 benefits from some running-in (I'd suggest 48 hours non-stop). I usually only use the white filter but occasionally the green one if the treble is hot. For me, it is a killer product especially when you consider how small it is, the neatness and portability are two +++++

Recently I borrowed a Pathos InPol Class A headphone amplifier with the optional ESS Sabre 9018 dac fitted. It was beautifully made, huge, tons of power (probably easily enough for the Susvaras) but in A/B listening with music I knew well, I thought it was a great headphone amplifier desperately trying to find a DAC worthy of it. Oh, did I mention how large it was?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #10,972 of 22,467
Sorry if this has been asked before.

How does the Hugo 2 compare to DAP's such as the ibasso DX200 and FiiO X7 MK2? I'm planning to audition some IEM's this weekend at Canjam and was thinking of the ideal portable setup and then saw the Hugo 2 is Bluetooth compatible. Would streaming Tidal via Bluetooth from my phone give me the full potential the Hugo 2 has to offer?

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #10,973 of 22,467
How does the Hugo 2 compare to DAP's such as the ibasso DX200 and FiiO X7 MK2?

The Hugo 2 isn't a DAP but I don't think any DAP will compete with a dedicated dac/amp. I think my Questyle QP2R is a great DAP but music sounds much better with the Hugo 2 + laptop but a DAP is a totally portable AIO device, a Hugo 2 needs a music source and is transportable.

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #10,974 of 22,467
The Hugo 2 isn't a DAP but I don't think any DAP will compete with a dedicated dac/amp. I think my Questyle QP2R is a great DAP but music sounds much better with the Hugo 2 + laptop but a DAP is a totally portable AIO device, a Hugo 2 needs a music source and is transportable.

I do understand that the H2 isn't a DAP. The main question is.....

How does the Hugo 2 compare to DAP's such as the ibasso DX200 and FiiO X7 MK2?. Would streaming Tidal via Bluetooth from my phone give me the full potential the Hugo 2 has to offer?

Will streaming Bluetooth via mobile phone give the same performance as a wired source?

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #10,975 of 22,467
Will streaming Bluetooth via mobile phone give the same performance as a wired source?

No, no Bluetooth streaming device will compete with a wired source but BT might be useful in some circumstances. BT in the Hugo 2 has been improved over Hugo 1, perhaps it is best regarded as another option, albeit not the best one SQ wise?

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #10,976 of 22,467
No, no Bluetooth streaming device will compete with a wired source but BT might be useful in some circumstances. BT in the Hugo 2 has been improved over Hugo 1, perhaps it is best regarded as another option, albeit not the best one SQ wise?

Thank you for the reply. I was really hoping for my do it all problem solver being the Hugo 2. I wouldn't mind at all my phone being the BT source as it's wireless and I usually have my phone on or close by me all the time anyways. It sure would be nice if that ( SQ the same BT vs wired ) was the case with BT and the Hugo 2 because I would then make the H2 my desktop dac when not traveling. Canjams website states that Chord will be at the event. I will find out more info then.

In the mean time I'm still on the hunt for the perfect portable dac / amp or DAP for IEM's and to be honest the Hugo 2 is still at the top of my list.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #10,977 of 22,467
Until recently, I really didn't listen to live recordings. Just didn't find them enjoyable because I prefer the clean, controlled sound separation, the purity of studio recordings.

Nevertheless, my 100+ track "audiotester" playlist (almost a decade old now, evolved over the years) always contains some live recordings from different music genres as part of my test of new gear.
Though not an audiophile by any means, and with limited gear, I use it pretty religiously, even to test cheap gear.

Multiple better headphones over the years didn't change that view.
The Jot didn't change that view.
The Mojo didn't change that view.

The Hugo 2 has made me like live recordings. A lot. Enough to chase down every live track I can find in my dusty library, whether classical, rock, jazz, whatever.

I can't pinpoint why that is, but don't really care much either. Creating whole new playlists now (^-^)

So, thanks Chord.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #10,978 of 22,467
I'm amazed from so many reviews of headphones that the reviewer will use an iPad or phone going through Hugo 2 to expensive headphones,I only ever heard my Hugo 1 from my iPad so it will be interesting to hear the Hugo 2 coming from my naim nd5 xs using my flare pro in ears instead of my Samsung s8 +,surely it's got to sound well better

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #10,979 of 22,467
I'm amazed from so many reviews of headphones that the reviewer will use an iPad or phone going through Hugo 2 to expensive headphones,I only ever heard my Hugo 1 from my iPad so it will be interesting to hear the Hugo 2 coming from my naim nd5 xs using my flare pro in ears instead of my Samsung s8 +,surely it's got to sound well better

For the reviews, aren't most people running higher-rez files from their smart phones and smart tablets to their DACs (e.g. Hugo2, Mojo, iFi, Fiio, Onkyo, Oppo etc.)? Like FLAC files or DSD files? In which case, wouldn't it not matter whether the source is a computer, a specialized DAP, or a smart tablet?

Feb 16, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #10,980 of 22,467
Hello, I have a question about a possibly defect unit. My Hugo 2 was purchased last week, and I could constantly notice some very tiny crackle sound in the right channel with my Andromeda, but I thought it was my ears or Andromeda being too sensitive. Today I tried Bluetooth with my AK70 for the first time, and heard some very noticeable dee dee noise constantly, again only in the right channel. So my question is, if the noise is caused by some interference, is it normal that it only happens in the right channel?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back