Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #10,726 of 22,516
Anyone else using H2 via blue tooth?

If so, thoughts on SQ?

I actually forgot that it had a BT input.

I use a networked streamer/endpoint for Roon and was annoyed that I needed another USB cable from my Mac for watching movies on my Mac - this required unplugging the USB cable when switching between Roon and Mac.

Then I remembered the BT input - it worked in Aptx on the Mac but I was worried that sound and picture lag would be an issue when watching movies...

Nope - no lag whatsoever.

So now I can just leave my Sonore microRendu plugged into Hugo2 permanently and just switch to BT when doing Mac streaming.

Not only no lag, but it sounds very good, more than good enough for Netflix, YouTube, whatever at my desk.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:40 AM Post #10,727 of 22,516
How is your Hugo 2 and your headphones of choice reproducing the bass guitar in this video of Carlos Santana at Montreux in 2011? I'm getting deep, solid bass lines, more so since I switched from the standard Utopia cable to a Moon Audio Black Dragon Premium cable. A very worthwhile improvement, how does a tiny little box like the Hugo 2 manage it? Rob, please don't explain, I won't understand.......

Such a brilliant guitar player!

Saw him live last year.

There was a time, say a decade ago, where his live playing abilities seemed to be slowing.

I don't know what happened (maybe the much younger wife now, who's in the band too?) but he's now back to playing his classics the way he used to play as a young fella.

Amazing.

Feb 5, 2018 at 6:54 AM Post #10,728 of 22,516
So I just recently bought a Hugo 2 and I love it, but every time I try to use it with the tidal desktop app for Windows 10 my pc crashes and resets. It works fine with tidal on my galaxy s8 and with jriver. Has anyone else had this problem? And any advice on how to fix it?
You need to use the newest Chord Driver, Windows10_Creators_Driver768KHz.

Now playing: Cocteau Twins - Rilkean Heart

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #10,730 of 22,516
I already checked to see if my chord driver is up to date and it is

Did you first install the standard win10 driver and after that the creators update one? If it´s still crashing, any chance you are using one of the beta versions from insider preview? My second PC is running that and the even the latest driver crashes it.

Off topic: Has it been posted yet how much (dB/frequency) the high frequency filters actually roll off the high frequencies? Just wondering...

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #10,732 of 22,516
Chord have been adopting a strategy of developing modular functionality at many points in their product range (ie a streamer + DAC + Scaler)

Isn't a Blu2 an upscaling CD player? I'm probably being 'stoopid' but how does adding a Blu2 to a Dave, enhance the Dave? Does adding a Blu2 upgrade the amplifier side of a Dave?

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #10,733 of 22,516
Here is a brilliant video of Camel playing Fox Hill, I love the change in tempo, the guitar work, the drumming, I just love it all really:

This is a fairly recent live concert, incredible how these older bands are reforming

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #10,734 of 22,516
Isn't a Blu2 an upscaling CD player? I'm probably being 'stoopid' but how does adding a Blu2 to a Dave, enhance the Dave? Does adding a Blu2 upgrade the amplifier side of a Dave?

Oversimplifying a bit, both DAVE and Hugo2 are a combination of interpolation upscaler + DAC + headphone amp. The Blu2 **materially** upgrades the upscaler portion of both (to say the least), for both CD sources and USB digital sources. It doesn't change the DAC or amplifier portions.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #10,735 of 22,516
Yeah, we have debated that. Also, I would guess the high value Blu2 is a nice little earner at the moment and that would more or less disappear overnight if a similar ability stand alone MScaler came out.

Perhaps Chord need to hear that this Hugo 2 owner isn't inclined to spend £10,000 on a Dave inc stand + another £8,000 on a Blu2 particularly when I have zero use for a CD function in my study. A Dave 2 is of far more interest to me (and one box too). I have a whole rack full of kit downstairs, don't need another upstairs in my study. I have yet to hear a viable argument against a Dave 2.

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #10,736 of 22,516
maybe the much younger wife now, who's in the band too?) but he's now back to playing his classics the way he used to play as a young fella.

I put this to my wife, I got a good sl*p for my troubles, please put forward safer theories next time

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #10,739 of 22,516
It’s pretty much a guarantee that a future DAVE 2 will easily surpass the Hugo2, as the current DAVE tech is what has already filtered in to Hugo2, but limited by the Hugo2’s size and price. Wouldn’t it be great if the future DAVE iteration included an M scaler down the road (many years)?
I say who cares,just enjoy what's out now,it's like ppl are wishing their lives away for the next latest Chord product,some of us might not live to see the next Chord Dave 2.I guarantee if you down graded from a Chord Dave to a Hugo 2 in a month or so it would become the norm and you would love the sound just the same,your brain adapts and you still get pleasure from listening to the music.If Dave is the ultimate dac which I'm sure it is why talk about the Dave 2?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #10,740 of 22,516
you only live once...waiting years for upgrades makes little sense to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back