Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 6, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #10,756 of 22,516
But if you connect a £8,000 Blu2 to a Hugo 2, does this substantially upgrade the DAC side of things or doesn't this matter if you're using a Blu2? For instance, I have enough power using Utopias with my Hugo 2 so I can ignore the additional power of the Dave. Bottom line, do I get a big sound upgrade buying a Blu2 to pair with my Hugo 2? This discussion is helping me to (slowly) understand what Blu2 can bring to the party. Pity the What Hi-Fi review didn't go beyond Blu2's fantastic upscaling of CD's. Perhaps they don't understand the ins & outs either?
Edit

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #10,757 of 22,516
Have you read the series of posts by @dmance about his experiments with Hugo 2 and blu2. I think he concluded that Hugo2 plus BLU2, was better than Dave on its own.
You have me confused with somebody else. Please check post references before quoting me! I dont have a BLU2 and have only experience with a Hugo2 through Voxativ speakers.

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #10,758 of 22,516
You have me confused with somebody else. Please check post references before quoting me! I dont have a BLU2 and have only experience with a Hugo2 through Voxativ speakers.

I think @miketlse was talking about @ray-dude.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #10,760 of 22,516
you only live once...waiting years for upgrades makes little sense to me...

I am waiting for the DAVE 3 to be announced but by then I will probably be floating on a cloud in transit to the Heavens - or perhaps on my way to somewhere really-really warm with no air conditioning (not Miami)! :ksc75smile:

giphy.gif

Feb 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #10,761 of 22,516
I am waiting for the DAVE 3 to be announced but by then I will probably be floating on a cloud in transit to the Heavens - or perhaps on my way to somewhere really-really warm with no air conditioning (not Miami)! :ksc75smile:

Yes, Rob Watts has said that a replacement Dave is way off (think years).

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #10,762 of 22,516
No idea what's next for Chord except 2Go coming. A Chord scaler without CD component likely big desirable in audiophile community if we ever see it. Rumors about future Chord digital amp interesting. Extra amplification for Mojo and Hugo2 that would not degrade SQ would be a dream come true. Ability to add super efficient single driver speakers and get grunt that Hugo2 amplification lacks is stuff audio dreams are made of. Said bye bye to big rack of expensive audio components years ago and embraced small footprint audio with and without headphones. Reports about sound through the Realizer as well as AKG's noise-cancelling technology interesting. Forward strides in audio so exciting.
If I understand things correctly Chord future Digital Amp will be kind of all in one device. It will in digital domain from the source and will incorporate dac and amp on board. So unlikely it will be possible/reasonable to use it with Mojo or Hugo2 as they only output analog signal. But as I hope 2Go is aproaching fast it would be great to have full compact set up in Hugo range involving to 2Go/Hugo2 and dedicated transparent power amp for the speakers use.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #10,764 of 22,516
I rather hope that if Chord designs a stand-alone M Scaler, the removal of the CD transport and equipment needed for the transport will substancially lower the price for the simpler unit. But, I have my doubts that it will.

It absolutely would make zero sense to offer an add on product substantially higher in price than the product made to accompany it. Also it would be a lost opportunity by Chord to offer that add on product later than sooner. I would expect a reasonable cost m-scaler in the 1.5k to 3k range within the next year. Sounds like the future digital amp/DAC will be a separate product and not so much an add on, except for DAVE.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #10,767 of 22,516
you only live once...waiting years for upgrades makes little sense to me...
Ok, as I've already posted I'm loving the Hugo 2 + Utopias experience, no complaints tbh but many of us are always (rightly or wrongly) looking at the next 'shiny toy' and since Dave was introduced in 2016 and we're now in 2018, I would expect for Dave to get a makeover/overcomb just as Hugo 1 did. But I'm not clever or in the hi-fi industry so Chord might well have a more cunning plan up their jumpers. The VW Golf is in its 7th generation so I'd hope The Dave might make it to its second before being replaced by a new concept (perhaps a series of digital amps etc as put forward by ray-dude above). And just as well for the hi-fi industry that many of us are always on the prowl for an upgrade, the industry would go bust if we all kept every bit of kit 20 years!
I agree mate it would be sad if the audio world stood still,I was only saying about enjoy what we have for now and I wonder if the Dave could be bettered at this moment in time

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #10,769 of 22,516
I can't find the thread were Rob watts said he likes the audioquest nighthawk carbon headphones,was it this thread ?I've been reading about them and I'm thinking they might be my next purchase,the rubber surround interests me no end,like a mini speaker,if a speaker doesn't have rubber surround can it produce true deep bass?Worried they might be too dark for me as the flare pro are proper in my face,they like a jet engine blowing my head off so thinking the nighthawk would be a nice contrast,silky smooth

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back