Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 30, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #9,106 of 22,540
Dear Mr Franks, I really don't understand.

You wrote:
"Has [Rob Watts] on a daily basis to submit his life’s work for an equal peer review by the likes of Statler and Waldorf from a famous old U.K. TV puppet show sitting in their theatre box."

Here is picture of Statler and Waldorf. They are funny. They wear hearing aids and they often make jokes about it to each other.

Is this the message that you wish to convey? That those who do not appreciate your sound or understand your pricing are like those two puppets?

Also you write:

"Last week it seemed to be that one of the old codgers was chipping away at our prices this week it’s our sound and it’s always so insistently negative and consistently denigrating that if it were more suptle it might be taken more seriously"

This is the Oxford dictionary definition on the word "codger" you used: (fifth edition 1995).
"A man especially an old one who has strange habits".

I really don't understand. I am new to this thread but this is the first time I see someone let alone a brand representative using these words and these analogies to characterize others in disagreement. How often have you heard your peers or say accomplished musicians to refer to others that don't appreciate their music as old codgers with hearing aids?

I understand you are at a disadvantage. All of us use pseudonyms to post anonymously whatever we want but you always reply with your name. However all of us including Rob Watts, regardless of accomplishments, submit our life's work and skills to others on a daily basis. Is it always positive?

Without any doubt I appreciate Rob Watts willingness to participate and explain the engineering behind your products. It is one of the things that sets you apart and develops a different relationship with your audience. I have a mojo and I am expecting a Hugo 2 to arrive. Personally I think this thread is positive and laudatory to you 95% of the time. I happen to disagree with the posts you mention but I do respect them and I do hope that this thread does not become a Chord fun club. You don't need this.

Overall, I don't think this response of yours does you justice Sir.
People put down other people's tastes in music, gear etc., all the time. As for JF's post: He's waited for quite a while to finally let out his frustrations about the posts on his product(s). If I don't like my Hugo2, I have a right to say it, and whoever doesn't like it, has the right to take me to task over what I put out there. It does seem that the complaints of the Hugo2 are happening in cycles lately, as Mr. Franks points out. My thoughts about price is that it's unnecessary and pedantic. I want a DAVE, Blue two, and an extraordinarily high-end headphone to go with them. Uh, that ain't gonna happen. Those who can swing it, can have them. My setup, as it is, gives me more joy and listening pleasure than I've gotten before, all the way back to my first transistor radio as a 6-year-old. Can't afford a H2, get a Mojo or whatever you like or can. Price is what it is.
As for the brightness: I may be getting in hot water here. But, like some complainants do, why not give more detail as to what one is listening to; equipment, music choice...I'm out of steam, now.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #9,107 of 22,540
Dear Mr Franks, I really don't understand.

You wrote:
"Has [Rob Watts] on a daily basis to submit his life’s work for an equal peer review by the likes of Statler and Waldorf from a famous old U.K. TV puppet show sitting in their theatre box."

Here is picture of Statler and Waldorf. They are funny. They wear hearing aids and they often make jokes about it to each other.

Is this the message that you wish to convey? That those who do not appreciate your sound or understand your pricing are like those two puppets?

Also you write:

"Last week it seemed to be that one of the old codgers was chipping away at our prices this week it’s our sound and it’s always so insistently negative and consistently denigrating that if it were more suptle it might be taken more seriously"

This is the Oxford dictionary definition on the word "codger" you used: (fifth edition 1995).
"A man especially an old one who has strange habits".

I really don't understand. I am new to this thread but this is the first time I see someone let alone a brand representative using these words and these analogies to characterize others in disagreement. How often have you heard your peers or say accomplished musicians to refer to others that don't appreciate their music as old codgers with hearing aids?

I understand you are at a disadvantage. All of us use pseudonyms to post anonymously whatever we want but you always reply with your name. However all of us including Rob Watts, regardless of accomplishments, submit our life's work and skills to others on a daily basis. Is it always positive?

Without any doubt I appreciate Rob Watts willingness to participate and explain the engineering behind your products. It is one of the things that sets you apart and develops a different relationship with your audience. I have a mojo and I am expecting a Hugo 2 to arrive. Personally I think this thread is positive and laudatory to you 95% of the time. I happen to disagree with the posts you mention but I do respect them and I do hope that this thread does not become a Chord fun club. You don't need this.

Overall, I don't think this response of yours does you justice Sir.
Those whose enjoy deconstructing humourous arguments, should hopefully find this amusing.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #9,108 of 22,540
Good luck finding a coaxial to optical "cable". Coaxial to coaxial of course. All coaxial cables will not fit. You need a special cable that is coax on one end and compatible with Hugo2 on the other.

Why not just use use a Schiit Wyrd? Why do you have to convert USB to coax?

because I want to try it? Wyrd doesn't have coaxial out

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #9,115 of 22,540
People put down other people's tastes in music, gear etc., all the time. As for JF's post: He's waited for quite a while to finally let out his frustrations about the posts on his product(s). If I don't like my Hugo2, I have a right to say it, and whoever doesn't like it, has the right to take me to task over what I put out there. It does seem that the complaints of the Hugo2 are happening in cycles lately, as Mr. Franks points out. My thoughts about price is that it's unnecessary and pedantic. I want a DAVE, Blue two, and an extraordinarily high-end headphone to go with them. Uh, that ain't gonna happen. Those who can swing it, can have them. My setup, as it is, gives me more joy and listening pleasure than I've gotten before, all the way back to my first transistor radio as a 6-year-old. Can't afford a H2, get a Mojo or whatever you like or can. Price is what it is.
As for the brightness: I may be getting in hot water here. But, like some complainants do, why not give more detail as to what one is listening to; equipment, music choice...I'm out of steam, now.

Yup. With class G Arcam amps Hugo 2 doesn't sound bright at all. Very neutral with a tilt to warmness. I would guess, with any class D or most class A/B amps, it could sound bright - as the Hugo 2 is much more invisible in the chain and you're left hearing the rest of your (bright) equipment. Same thing happens with Benchmark DACs (though they have bog standard timing accuracy and naturally sounder brighter anyway).

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #9,116 of 22,540
Hi Rob,

Never use this forum so don't know if I'm replying correctly. I just got a Hugo 2 and I want to know how I set it to 2.2 volts (or close). I know how to set it to line-in 3 volts but it doesn't sound quite right with my amp.

Chord, in their infinite wisdom, decided to set their so called line out to a level that will overload many inputs. Yours is probably being overloaded and hence it sounds bad. Just back off on the output/volume of your Hugo2 until it starts sounding good. No need to set it at exactly 2.2V.

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #9,117 of 22,540
Chord, in their infinite wisdom, decided to set their so called line out to a level that will overload many inputs. Yours is probably being overloaded and hence it sounds bad. Just back off on the output/volume of your Hugo2 until it starts sounding good. No need to set it at exactly 2.2V.

It doesn't sound overloaded as such, I just feel it sounds better (slightly) than when set below 3 volts. I just want to know what's closest to 2.2 volts, as that's what most intergrated amps are tuned for. I will eventually be upgrading to a power amp (using Hugo 2 as pre), but until then I want to get the best out of my A39.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #9,118 of 22,540
It doesn't sound overloaded as such, I just feel it sounds better (slightly) than when set below 3 volts. I just want to know what's closest to 2.2 volts, as that's what most intergrated amps are tuned for. I will eventually be upgrading to a power amp (using Hugo 2 as pre), but until then I want to get the best out of my A39.
If the volume scale is the same as the Mojo, then 3V followed by 4 clicks of -ve volume will get you down to 1.9V. Try that as a start point, and you will quickly know if you need to reduce the volume further.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #9,119 of 22,540
Someone check me on this, but I remember somewhere in the thread, four pushes on the remote down-volume will bring it to about 1.9V. Try it and see if that helps. You may want to take note of the colour of the volume knob so you don't have to use the remote if you don't want to. Edit: Just read @miketls' post above, and changed my own from three to four. Thanks Mike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 30, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #9,120 of 22,540
Thanks guys above, I'll try 4 clicks.

First impressions, sounds so analogue compared to my M-DAC+. Sounds like vinyl but without the drawbacks and everything sounds just right and non-fatiguing.

Dunno if anyone listens to Purity Ring here but it sounds so euphoric with Hugo 2! It's like I'm being transported to another dimension lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back