Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #9,091 of 22,537
Has anyone stopped using the Hugo 2 after buying the Poly + Mojo?

I could bring the Hugo 2 to the office but it is a bit overkill to bring 2 DAC’s to work:p

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #9,093 of 22,537
Back to the H2 and after a busy morning in the office, what better than a lunch break with a spine-tinglingly good portable rig - and a chilled out reworking of Henry Purcell. This is what the H2 is all about IMO and combined with my Encores makes a match made in heaven...

I24H9Ph.jpg

Nice DAP, looks kinda familiar!

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #9,094 of 22,537
quite a gift...!

I was thinking just the same and was so glad wi-fi doesn't read this thread............Thank goodness, she is so parsimonious and doesn't care what I do with my own money.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #9,095 of 22,537
Maybe I should have said things a little differently, maybe.

But don't get me wrong, the hugo 2 is an amazing piece of hardware it sounds great, i simply found it a little on the bright side and the heat that radiated of it was just not right, maybe my unit had a flaw i dont know.

Would I own one again? Yes most certainly infact I just found out that that I was getting one for christmas from a family member who had no idea that I had owned and recently sold one. So I may sell that as well or just use that to pre amp some speakers or as the dac in my living room.

Hugo tt is just a different animal in a larger package that offers something different topology wise with its super capacitors, milled from a solid piece so there's no gaps like the h2 except for your outputs and headphone jack etc and has galvanic isolation amongst other things that just give it a smoother sound, realistically I could live with either or any and every chord product as I just love how they keep inovating and setting the bar to such an extreme nothing else out there for my tastes can touch it.

But after everythings said and done we're all really clutching at straws as no chord product is bad, even the older stuff is all still very capable in todays market, nothing is better their simply different/sound different.

I think you put it right when you said you hadn't auditioned the Hugo 2. You are right to change your MO about this. It was funny but one of the guys at Audio Sanctuary said to me 'You won't like the pairing of your K812's with a Hugo 2', ha ha. I went to the shop, spent a morning listening to their dem H2 and loved the pairing. We are all different about what we like and why (thank goodness, how fracking boring would the world be otherwise). Re excess heat from your Hugo 2, were you running it with very demanding HP's and/or using it with a cover?

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #9,096 of 22,537
I used to have to take taxis everywhere, eating up a lot of my proffit. Now, my sis-n-law, whose income has taken a bit of a beating, takes me to my tunings for a per-job fee. Govment frowns on those such as eye driving.

She sounds nice but business is business, eh?

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #9,097 of 22,537
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #9,099 of 22,537
I agree with you for the most part though sometimes I’m truly aghast at tone of this thread which sometimes appears to me to be rather like a Science Magazine where Rob Watts Emeritus professor in Audio. Has on a daily basis to submit his life’s work for an equal peer review by the likes of Statler and Waldorf from a famous old U.K. TV puppet show sitting in their theatre box. Last week it seemed to be that one of the old codgers was chipping away at our prices this week it’s our sound and it’s always so insistently negative and consistently denigrating that if it were more suptle it might be taken more seriously

Dear Mr Franks, I really don't understand.

You wrote:
"Has [Rob Watts] on a daily basis to submit his life’s work for an equal peer review by the likes of Statler and Waldorf from a famous old U.K. TV puppet show sitting in their theatre box."

Here is picture of Statler and Waldorf. They are funny. They wear hearing aids and they often make jokes about it to each other.
Statler_waldorf_02_01.jpg

Is this the message that you wish to convey? That those who do not appreciate your sound or understand your pricing are like those two puppets?

Also you write:

"Last week it seemed to be that one of the old codgers was chipping away at our prices this week it’s our sound and it’s always so insistently negative and consistently denigrating that if it were more suptle it might be taken more seriously"

This is the Oxford dictionary definition on the word "codger" you used: (fifth edition 1995).
"A man especially an old one who has strange habits".

I really don't understand. I am new to this thread but this is the first time I see someone let alone a brand representative using these words and these analogies to characterize others in disagreement. How often have you heard your peers or say accomplished musicians to refer to others that don't appreciate their music as old codgers with hearing aids?

I understand you are at a disadvantage. All of us use pseudonyms to post anonymously whatever we want but you always reply with your name. However all of us including Rob Watts, regardless of accomplishments, submit our life's work and skills to others on a daily basis. Is it always positive?

Without any doubt I appreciate Rob Watts willingness to participate and explain the engineering behind your products. It is one of the things that sets you apart and develops a different relationship with your audience. I have a mojo and I am expecting a Hugo 2 to arrive. Personally I think this thread is positive and laudatory to you 95% of the time. I happen to disagree with the posts you mention but I do respect them and I do hope that this thread does not become a Chord fun club. You don't need this.

Overall, I don't think this response of yours does you justice Sir.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #9,100 of 22,537
Maybe I’m doing something wrong but the bass just isn’t where I need it to be... keep feeling like it’s missing from my music.. I’m either raising the sound to get more impact or just feeling underwhelmed when using my Utopia headphones. It’s very resolving but where my bass impact... ugh! This game to expensive to keep searching...

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #9,101 of 22,537
Maybe I’m doing something wrong but the bass just isn’t where I need it to be... keep feeling like it’s missing from my music.. I’m either raising the sound to get more impact or just feeling underwhelmed when using my Utopia headphones. It’s very resolving but where my bass impact... ugh! This game to expensive to keep searching...
what are you listening to?

H2's sound signature might be not for you. We all hear differently...
I love my H2 + Utopia's. I understand why it might be "bright" to some people though.
All the details, nom nom.

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #9,102 of 22,537
Have you tried a little EQ'ing?

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #9,103 of 22,537
what are you listening to?

H2's sound signature might be not for you. We all hear differently...
I love my H2 + Utopia's. I understand why it might be "bright" to some people though.
All the details, nom nom.

I first listened to Boz Scaggs “Thanks to you” I leek this song well.. when listening to this on my now sold HDVD800 the song surrounded me, it’s so musical.. the bass rumbles, not deep base but mid bass...

When I listen to this song using H2 it’s really resolving, clear but not as musical and the bass impact isn’t there. I then listened to Dr. Dre Chronic and still not hitting like I’m used to hearing...

Nov 30, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #9,105 of 22,537
anyone have a cable to recommend to run from a Schiit Eitr to Hugo 2? should it be coaxial to optical or coaxial to coaxial? will all coaxial cables fit into Hugo 2 input?!

TIA

Good luck finding a coaxial to optical "cable". Coaxial to coaxial of course. All coaxial cables will not fit. You need a special cable that is coax on one end and compatible with Hugo2 on the other.

Why not just use use a Schiit Wyrd? Why do you have to convert USB to coax?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back