Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #76 of 22,516
If hugo 2 does not have galvanic isolation then it's not fit for purpose as a home\main system DAC and I really don't see the point of it as mojo already does a great job as a portable DAC.

If the Hugo 2 does have galvanic isolation then it makes the TT and 2qute redundant.

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #78 of 22,516
  Rookie questions here- Could somebody please help me understand:

• The definition of "tap length of 49,152"?
  • If this is expected to be a unit that can do everything Mojo can do and then some, I'm assuming I should hold off on purchasing that Mojo?

The tap length defines the capacity of the reconstruction filter to reconstruct the original waveform, particularly in terms of timing (transient response).

The Hugo² will undoubtedly surpass the Mojo in every sonic aspect, but there's also portability and price to be considered.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #79 of 22,516
I still prefer the Hugo over the Mojo, though the Mojo is very good and great for the size and price. I look forward to the Hugo II. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #80 of 22,516
Seems like it. But Mojo is still handy for travelling and the like, although sonically I prefer the Hugo. That said, isn't the Hugo² overkill for a bedroom system? A good argument: It can also serve as a summer evening balcony system. :smile:  

Hugo 2 is transportable just like Hugo 1. Sure it's a little bigger than just stacking Mojo with a phone but it should also sound a lot better than Mojo.

But if your idea of traveling is going on bus rides or airplane flights than there wouldn't be much of a reason to keep Mojo. But if you want to take walks in the park, or run on a treadmill then MojoPoly is a better choice.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #81 of 22,516
There are three stages of portable audio I cultivate:

Jogging, walking:                                          a case for the FiiO X3 II alone (in the warmer days on an armband)
Public transport in the city (bus, tram):          .FiiO X3 II, sometimes (say when I have lots of luggage anyway) with the Mojo
Train rides, airplaine flights, holidays:             FiiO X3 II or X5 II with the Hugo

That makes (some) sense to me.
wink.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #83 of 22,516

will the poly module work on this new hugo?

I presume that you could use a USB cable, to connect the output of the Poly to the input of the Hugo2.

I must admit, the same thought crossed my mind, this morning.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if something similar might appear, specifically for Hugo 2. Or maybe not. We will just have to wait and see.

Chord is also unveiling a redesigned Hugo which they've called the Hugo 2. The Hugo 2 is snuggled inside of a redesigned, precision-machined aircraft-grade aluminum case. It retains the button configuration from the original Hugo, but the new body is sporting a sharper, lower profile shape. The spherical buttons are now top-mounted for future expansion modules (and I do so love expansion modules).

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #85 of 22,516
A 2Cute² and a Hugo TT² based on the Hugo² circuitry will certainly follow, maybe already this year. They have to.

Galvanic isolation for the Hugo² probably has been cancelled as it would have consumed too much power in addition to the 49,152 taps.

In my book the Hugo² is some hot device. :smile: Best launch of the three.

I hope so. But it seems that Hugo2 has the same chip as the Mojo AND the same tap length ..............

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #86 of 22,516
...it seems that Hugo2 has the same chip as the Mojo AND the same tap length ..............

I haven't cared for the chip so far, but tap length is 49,152 against ~26,000.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #87 of 22,516
Jan 6, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #89 of 22,516

It certainly doesn't look like Hugo2 will be too portable, so you're probably yet to put mojo and FiiO daps down if you want to walk around with music. 

To be honest, Hugo was also better to me ears when compared to Mojo, but between using mojo and FiiO X5ii - it comes to convenience. X5ii sounded good enough to be used alone instead of stacking, when going out 
redface.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #90 of 22,516

The Tap length of the Mojo is approx twice that of Hugo according to John Franks. The mojo runs at half the speed of the Hugo though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back