Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #46 of 22,500
Since it take a USB cable now to charge, it is easy enough to have a battery pack that isn't large to keep it charged for a long time. You can get a 20,000mA Anker for a good price and that would keep it playing for a long time if traveling. 

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #48 of 22,500
This is so exciting. I currently have Mojo and Hugo. Mojo will be returned. About the Hugo, I am not sure whether to keep it or sell it. I personally upgraded the Hugo with Sanyo 3400mah battery which is soldered with the original protected Battery circuit. I custom made a Usb male to Micro Usb male to directly connect the hugo to apple CCK. What I really like is the USB 5V charging capability of Hugo 2, increased amp power and custom filters to simulate mojo sound. To me, mojo sounds very good with a little warm and closer voice. The major point that hugo wins is the sound stage which is a huge deal breaker for me. If you only listen to mojo, it will be hard to tell. But if you put hugo and mojo side by side, you can tell them apart right away. I think Hugo 2 looks more colorful than hugo and hopefully there will be a discount to buy it in US.

To my understanding, Poly feels redundant. I can use much cheaper material for better utility overall. Seagate 4TB 2.5" Portable hard drive($124) + RAVPower FileHub Plus wifi hotspot with built in 6000mah battery ($39) and Nplayer Plus app in IOS. Then you can stream 4000GB of Music, Videos, Manga, Books wirelessly. The wireless speed is 5MB/s. I believe that is a much better and cheaper solution than Poly albeit not as good looking.

What I am eager to find out is how Hugo 2 sounds compared to Hugo? Hopefully we will find out that answer soon.

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #50 of 22,500
This is so exciting. I currently have Mojo and Hugo. Mojo will be returned. About the Hugo, I am not sure whether to keep it or sell it. I personally upgraded the Hugo with Sanyo 3400mah battery which is soldered with the original protected Battery circuit. I custom made a Usb male to Micro Usb male to directly connect the hugo to apple CCK. What I really like is the USB 5V charging capability of Hugo 2, increased amp power and custom filters to simulate mojo sound. To me, mojo sounds very good with a little warm and closer voice. The major point that hugo wins is the sound stage which is a huge deal breaker for me. If you only listen to mojo, it will be hard to tell. But if you put hugo and mojo side by side, you can tell them apart right away. I think Hugo 2 looks more colorful than hugo and hopefully there will be a discount to buy it in US.

What I am eager to find out is how Hugo 2 sounds compared to Hugo? Hopefully we will find out that answer soon.

Can we see some photos of your modifications if you don't mind?

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #52 of 22,500
As a Mojo and Hugo owner, this looks an exciting best of-all-worlds release. I prefer the sound of Hugo in all departments, but appreciate the 'recognised last input' and charging of Mojo. Do we know if 'last input' will be present, also auto shutdown that seems to have appeared on recent Mojo (although maybe optical only)?

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #53 of 22,500
Whathifi article about the release:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/chord-launches-hugo-2-dac-and-poly-wireless-module

From above article:

"The Chord Hugo 2 will go on sale at the end of February"

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #54 of 22,500
Jan 6, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #55 of 22,500
Wonder if the Bluetooth is only input like Hugo1? I've nearly bought a separate DAP for transferring to a Bluetooth speaker in bathroom during long baths
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #56 of 22,500
taps are double that of hugo 1, are these taps working on full speed or half the speed as in mojo ? i think since the working time and charging by 5v is very similar so it might be same as mojo but with more filter options . may be hugo 1 is still better in sound .

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #57 of 22,500
Interested to see how this compared against high-end Schiit, like Gumby + Mjolnir 2 in the same price category.

Jan 6, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #58 of 22,500
  So the cheaper and smaller Hugo 2 is better than the larger and more expensive Hugo TT? I'm in!

Also. Sorry Hugo TT owners, blame Chord for this innovation :p

i highly doubt it, Hugo TT sound fuller than Hugo, especially in the mids and sound-stage.

if Hugo 2 will sound as Full as Hugo TT that would be a miracle... in that case they should price it higher than TT itself.. 

still the fact that it have a Mojo filter is tempting enough, i smell Hugo 2 TT in the air 
beerchug.gif
 2018 maybe xD

Jan 6, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #60 of 22,500
yes but that is the way it works with most companies, too: improved tech with same or (better still) lower prices.
cars, audio, watches...etc...fast moving age we're in.
watches? Just like the Royals, No need for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back