Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #6,361 of 22,475
As per my observation it is positive the TT could get em to louder levels vs the H2. I didnt claim it to sound better tho. In fact i liked the H2 more with almost all stuffs i tried

True, that is how you said it. The rambling on my part was not really specific to your post. Sorry about that.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #6,362 of 22,475
the louder levels is an illusion, what TT does and always has is have a darker signature with more bass impact and slam, and i perceive this gives it a more depth. While i have no doubt the ch2 has a more refine detail and smoother presentation that may be more to ones liking, i know from pm discussions that I'm not alone in my TT observations.
This for me is not a competition but a parle of preferences that allow from outside the mania of a new launch allow lurkers to sort out there options. There are no losers here from ch1, ch2, TT or dave.

Just install the TT supercapasitors in Hugo 2 and you got a TT2 mini, but you will not got any warranty left.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,363 of 22,475
Re: Filter Choice

Is anyone familiar with soundboard "bootlegs" enough to make a filter recommendation?

These are not pirated albums but live, unmastered recordings taken from the soundboard. There is no mixing involved. Some can sound very nice while most others in my experience can sound quite sterile. I am interested in filter recommendation thoughts and the reasons.

Some live recordings are from FM broadcasts. To my ears, some of these sound "warmer" and less harsh/sterile than the soundboard.

By and large, the vast majority of bootlegged concerts are "audience" recorded. I generally do not listen to them; though I have a few. I generally pass on them in favor of soundboard.

I just downloaded Chicago (band) from 1977 which had them playing before Terry Kath's death. It is interesting to hear them live.

I am experimenting w filters, but look towards those with more audiophile experience for some guidance. Thanks.

Jul 26, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #6,364 of 22,475
Jul 26, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #6,365 of 22,475
Concerning the early comparisons of H2 and TT it would be interesting which Input was used.
I could imagine the described advantages of TT might be due to galvanic isolation, since there were posts talking favorable about H2 and Iso Regen and other isolators.

If desired advantages were heard vial USB it would be interesting how this behaves via optical.
The source should also be taken in account, since a dedicated music server is likely more capable than a mobile phone to deliver a low noise signal.

Cheers

I suspect that the advantages of TT are due to a number of factors as Whazzzup has already kindly pointed out in this thread. I don't believe band aids like the Iso Regen will bring Hugo2 to TT level. The asking price for TT is a lot higher than Hugo2, so it would be strange if Hugo2 was better.
I must admit that when I first listened to the Hugo2 vs TT comparison video and I was convinced that A was Hugo2 and B was TT. I changed my mind about the TT after I found out that A was in fact the TT. I much preferred A. I am left deeply impressed by the TT.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #6,366 of 22,475
I won't list all the advantages from the block design that lowers harmonic distortion, to super capacitors etc about TT..the myth about power in TT exemplifies how TT has been misunderstood since its launch, and continues to this day. Even with ch2 technical refinements and smoother detail, the TT just has more weight and depth to it. Even if its distortion, it still is an amazing desktop. I imagine in a couple of years with the upgrade to TT2 it will be an even better desktop as ch2 is as a portable. Frankly ch1 is darn good as well, this is a testament to the quality of chord products and line differentiation now gives customers price and preferences many options.
Now its preliminary analysis at this point maybe 10 hours, I need another 10-20 so, let the enjoyment of listening continue. I have no doubt that some folks may feel different concerning my summary but on the other hand I don't play my encores through TT, prefer the ch1 at this point....

We all hear things differently.

When I compared the TT versus Hugo1 on the UK tour, the TT was better but sometimes I struggled to really notice a big difference.

When I compare Hugo2 to Hugo1, the difference is much more apparent - and if is around the greater ability of Hugo2 to unpick the complexity of whatever music you are listening to and to distinguish more clearly the various instruments being played or the vocals of the singer versus how Hugo1 does the same thing. It is a much clearer upgrade path for me from Hugo1 to Hugo2 compared to Hugo1 to TT.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #6,367 of 22,475
Re: Filter Choice

Is anyone familiar with soundboard "bootlegs" enough to make a filter recommendation?

These are not pirated albums but live, unmastered recordings taken from the soundboard. There is no mixing involved. Some can sound very nice while most others in my experience can sound quite sterile. I am interested in filter recommendation thoughts and the reasons.

Some live recordings are from FM broadcasts. To my ears, some of these sound "warmer" and less harsh/sterile than the soundboard.

By and large, the vast majority of bootlegged concerts are "audience" recorded. I generally do not listen to them; though I have a few. I generally pass on them in favor of soundboard.

I just downloaded Chicago (band) from 1977 which had them playing before Terry Kath's death. It is interesting to hear them live.

I am experimenting w filters, but look towards those with more audiophile experience for some guidance. Thanks.

I have many. And particularly nowadays some of the audience recorded bootlegs are pretty good. You have summed the situation up well. They generally are not a great audiophile experience but maybe more of a visceral one and I am not sure that a choice of the filter will make much of a difference. Enjoy.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #6,368 of 22,475
I am looking for mid priced speakers that are efficient enough to be driven by the CH2 without an amp. KEF LS50? Has anyone heard these?

The McIntosh MHA 100 seems like an overpriced item but it is powerful enough to drive speakers bit internal DAC is a waste. Need a nearfield
Speaker set up with the CH2.

Jul 27, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #6,369 of 22,475
Hey there @Hooster,

I think this discussion based on a YouTube clip is a moot point...

I myself needed quite some time to adjust to H2, which further manifested my opinion, that quick AB comparisons aren't the way to go to really evaluate gear... I already learned this with my Nighthawks. Some of the comments comparing H2 to TT were made after a short listen under show conditions or after a few initial hours with H2... that being said my comments are only more or less educated quesses, since I haven't heard TT :wink:

Cheers

Jul 27, 2017 at 7:02 AM Post #6,370 of 22,475
I am looking for mid priced speakers that are efficient enough to be driven by the CH2 without an amp. KEF LS50? Has anyone heard these?

The McIntosh MHA 100 seems like an overpriced item but it is powerful enough to drive speakers bit internal DAC is a waste. Need a nearfield

I think the LS 5O aren't well suited, with their sensitivity well under 90 dB (if I remember correctly).
Lately John Darko wrote about great synergy of LS50 and the Rotel A10.
It's discontinued but still available for around 300€

If you really want use H2 to drive speakers directly, you should go for something with a rated sensitivity of around 100db or even higher.

I think about a diy mini Onken (50l)with Voxativ Ac-1.6.
But the impedance rating confuses me a bit, since the driver is rated at complete impedance of 16 Ohm while the Pure Audio Project trio 15 with those drivers and 15 inch woofers is rated at 8 Ohm .
..I guess I have to reactivate my DIY audio account :)

So there is much to be taken in account...

Jul 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #6,371 of 22,475
I think it would be very unwise to make any decision or conclusion from that video comparing Hugo TT to Hugo 2, there is so much added to the mix such as microphone and further ADC and DAC that it renders the comparison almost meaningless. If the two DACS were connected using USB then different cables must have been used. There is also the issue of noisy mains powered source when using USB - in which case H2 will likely benefit from galvanic isolation on the USB, such as that available from Intona, to compete fairly with TT.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #6,372 of 22,475
tunes, you could do a lot worse than a pair of active speakers that don't rely on h2 to drive them. Neumann KH120 are superb in small/medium rooms or KH310 for larger rooms and very reasonabily priced for what you get. ATC actives if you really want to push the boat out.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #6,373 of 22,475

tunes, you could do a lot worse than a pair of active speakers that don't rely on h2 to drive them. Neumann KH120 are superb in small/medium rooms or KH310 for larger rooms and very reasonabily priced for what you get. ATC actives if you really want to push the boat out.

Agree. There are many choices of active studio monitor. Neumann , genelec and focal just to name a few. I do have kh120a

Jul 27, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #6,374 of 22,475
I think it would be very unwise to make any decision or conclusion from that video comparing Hugo TT to Hugo 2, there is so much added to the mix such as microphone and further ADC and DAC that it renders the comparison almost meaningless.
Added to whatever type of transmission through the internet. I liked the dynamic range of the second tune with the DAC 'B'. That was before I knew which was which. But, I'm not going to trust my ears to a demo that's been folded, spindled and mutilated on the web. And either way, I'd preferred to hear a direct line rather than a mic'ed speaker setup.

Jul 27, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #6,375 of 22,475
With respect to the youtube comparison, there is no way to absolutely evaluate the TT or Hugo2 based on it. On the other hand an analysis of the differences that appear between the two is perfectly valid. I remain impressed by the TT but less so by the Hugo2. That does not mean that there is anything wrong with the Hugo2. It simply is not as good as the TT, which considering the price difference is hardly surprising. The Hugo2 is not a bargain basement TT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back