Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #6,316 of 22,475
Just to clarify - Hugo WTA filters were in two stages, WTA 1 which went from 44.1 (1FS) to 352.8 kHz (8FS) and was 26,368 taps. Then WTA 2 took you from 352.8 kHz (8FS) to 705.6 kHz (16FS).

With Hugo 2 on the other hand, I have a much more powerful FPGA, so I can do more processing to get one closer to the original signal in the ADC before it was sampled. And with Hugo 2 WTA 1 took you right away to 16FS, so it went from 1FS to 16FS in a single WTA filter; and this is 49,152 taps. Then WTA 2 is quite a complex filter, with 6 DSP cores alone, and takes you from 16 FS to 256 FS, so now the WTA output is every 88 nS. When you switch from orange/red to white/green, then you are engaging this filter.

So Hugo to Hugo 2 is a very different and much more advanced WTA filter topology.

44.1 kHz to 11 MHz....

I prefer small bedside setup. The Hugo 2 will replace the Mojo

A fan-less/head-less NUC i5 with 2TB internal & 8TB external storing all my media (movies & music) and using a Note 4 as remote display/controller sat on wireless charging pad. the NUC powers the Mojo fine so should do same for Hugo 2.

I like to chill listening to music in bed :smile_phones: Tidal Master playing

Just waiting to test out the UK Tour one I've got coming soon for 10 days testing before pulling the plug on buying my own.

Can the NUC output 2.1A from its USB ports? I found even an iPad charger wasn't enough for the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #6,318 of 22,475
Since the green filter is the insicive with a HF filter added (pretty much just a filter for high sampling rate files) I'm surprised you change the filter depending on genre.
If the green filter only affects Hi-Res tracks, why not just leave it on regardless? I get the impression that things sound a bit cleaner in classical with the green filter above CD quality. So subtle to me, that it's hard to be sure.

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #6,319 of 22,475
Give it to me straight.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #6,321 of 22,475
If the green filter only affects Hi-Res tracks, why not just leave it on regardless? I get the impression that things sound a bit cleaner in classical with the green filter above CD quality. So subtle to me, that it's hard to be sure.

My understanding from Rob's reply to my question about the application of the four filters to music sources with different 'bit' size is that all four filters will have an impact, I.e green can be applied all music sources and not just hirez ones (and make some kind of difference)

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #6,322 of 22,475
That much of an upgrade huh? Haven't been following as much in the recent times that everyone got theirs.

What's the consensus thus far?

I am trying out the first Hugo2 on the UK tour and for me the difference is meaningful and much greater in terms of clarity, musicality than Hugo 1 versus Mojo. Am listening to a piano concerto now and the sound of the piano is a amazing - so musical and also you hear the individual piano keys in a way that both Mojo or Hugo 1 couldn't replicate, ie very distinct starting and stopping of the notes whilst some of the piano "runs" sound like running water.

I was happy to have both Hugo1 and a Mojo. I will be selling both as I only want to listen to Hugo 2.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #6,323 of 22,475
That much of an upgrade huh? Haven't been following as much in the recent times that everyone got theirs.

What's the consensus thus far?

The vast majority seem to really like it so far, the only negative I remember was - one guy came on here and said he was selling his and another said that his friend did not like it and was returning his.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6,324 of 22,475
My understanding from Rob's reply to my question about the application of the four filters to music sources with different 'bit' size is that all four filters will have an impact, I.e green can be applied all music sources and not just hirez ones (and make some kind of difference)
OK. My understanding was that the white vs green made no difference in 44.1k or maybe even 48k. But it trimmed off some hf noise in 88.2 and 96 and above. Same with the orange vs red. Maybe @Rob Watts might say who's correct? I'm not concerned about the orange/red choices, as I bought the H2 to sound its best.
Not picking an arguement; it's just what I understand from all the info.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #6,325 of 22,475
OK. My understanding was that the white vs green made no difference in 44.1k or maybe even 48k. But it trimmed off some hf noise in 88.2 and 96 and above. Same with the orange vs red. Maybe @Rob Watts might say who's correct? I'm not concerned about the orange/red choices, as I bought the H2 to sound its best.
Not picking an arguement; it's just what I understand from all the info.

For 99.9% of the time I just run with green. But I guess if my HP were way too bright then it would for sure be red...

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #6,326 of 22,475
@Rob Watts
As far as I have understood, we have two couple of `option` filters: 256FS FIR ones (white/green) and 16FS IIR ones (red/orange).
What is still remaining unclear in my mind is where are they acting or applied in the chain WTA1->Crossfeed IIR->WTA2->Lin.Interpolation 2048FS->LPF->LPF->Noise Shaping?
I mean if we apply 16FS options is WTA2 (16FS to 256FS) bypassed ?
Regards.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #6,328 of 22,475
For 99.9% of the time I just run with green. But I guess if my HP were way too bright then it would for sure be red...

Would you still use the green filter if listening to AIFF 96/24? (or ALAC)

And, no, I do not know what I am talking about. :k701smile: I just know that I paid $17.99 for a Dylan album at HD Tracks and am interested in opinions on filters and sampling rates. If others have input, please share.

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #6,329 of 22,475

And, no, I do not know what I am talking about. :k701smile: I just know that I paid $17.99 for a Dylan album at HD Tracks and am interested in opinions on filters and sampling rates. If others have input, please share.
I'd be inclined to use the green filter since it's 96k.

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #6,330 of 22,475

I have only compared the filters using 48k, and felt that the white filter did produce the sharpest edges to notes - the green filter seemed to 'round off' the sharp edges slightly but was still a very enjoyable listen, and I could not detect any difference when using red or orange.
So the choice basically comes down to white or green.

I think it would be worth experimenting first with the white filter, if your album is an early Dylan playing a lot of acoustic instrument, and the recording quality is very good.
I presume that you will be using your Beyer T1.2 or AKT8, but their Tesla drivers may find the top end just a shade too bright using the white filter.
So also try the green filter - my instinct says you may find that you prefer the green filter in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back