Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 14, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #3,467 of 22,467
My UK dealer said 22nd May. I don't know whether he meant shipping from Chord to them or from them to me. Either way I'm beyond breath-holding.
I hope that 22nd May turns out true for you (and the rest of us LOL).
I think that this weekend, it was posted that shipping to distributors would start around 30th May.
The most up to date info seems to be posted on the Chord Facebook page.

Either way, I am enjoying listening to music through my Mojo, and occasionally thinking that I would like to hear that track through my Hugo 2. I suspect that the same applies to many of you. :)

May 14, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #3,472 of 22,467
I sold my 2Qute thinking it was going to be shipped back in April...I have a new amp/RCA cables and HP 's waiting for the Hugo2.

You're like others and we're all feeling the let down of originally thinking shipping was much sooner. Its gonna be one of those things we all so love that it wipes out the memory of constant disappointments. Talking bout hugo2 is helpful. I am looking into different headphones that might go really well with it. Some are talking about what albums they plan to first test or demo (for review), and the difference in filters. Some impatience common. With May 15 tomorrow, I will check chord electronics at facebook as they update regularly there.

May 14, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #3,473 of 22,467
there are plenty of web resources on the basics of FPGA programming for those who would like a real appreciation of Hugo 2's inner workings!!! plenty to do........:book::book::pen_ballpoint::L3000: LOL!!

May 15, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #3,474 of 22,467
I just ripped apart a bluetooth portable speaker as it wasn't functioning, it has two two inch drivers. For relaxing in a bath, taking out to a picnic or working in the garden the sound of it was absolutely fine and the sound to be expected of its size. The componentry in this portable speaker I pulled apart was no bigger than that of the Hugo 2 by looking at it from a layman's eye though of size of transistors stuck to the board. Keep that in mind, I am using layman's eyes. This is where my curiousity lays.

Would the Hugo 2 likely have the power to drive these speakers to the same fullness as the stock components of the bluetooth speaker? I mean without distorting as I have heard lower powered amplifiers when they take on harder to drive speakers? Or is it best to stick to just using a line out and going through the 3.5mm in? Because if the Hugo 2 can do it, that would be a category of Audiophilia where mini speakers specifically designed for the Hugo 2 to be used in a semi-boombox category. How do you source like 3 inch speakers that are meant to be really easy to drive for the Hugo 2....perhaps sold as separate componentry? Any figures on what to look for?

May 15, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #3,475 of 22,467
I just ripped apart a bluetooth portable speaker as it wasn't functioning, it has two two inch drivers. For relaxing in a bath, taking out to a picnic or working in the garden the sound of it was absolutely fine and the sound to be expected of its size. The componentry in this portable speaker I pulled apart was no bigger than that of the Hugo 2 by looking at it from a layman's eye though of size of transistors stuck to the board. Keep that in mind, I am using layman's eyes. This is where my curiousity lays.

Would the Hugo 2 likely have the power to drive these speakers to the same fullness as the stock components of the bluetooth speaker? I mean without distorting as I have heard lower powered amplifiers when they take on harder to drive speakers? Or is it best to stick to just using a line out and going through the 3.5mm in? Because if the Hugo 2 can do it, that would be a category of Audiophilia where mini speakers specifically designed for the Hugo 2 to be used in a semi-boombox category. How do you source like 3 inch speakers that are meant to be really easy to drive for the Hugo 2....perhaps sold as separate componentry? Any figures on what to look for?

The Hugo 2 will output 0.5A at 5v = 2.5W. It will drive those speakers, but how loud depends on their sensitivity.

As far as connecting Hugo 2 straight to speakers and calling it "Audiophilia", I think that may be a stretch. :) IMHO it would need a proper power amp or powered monitor speakers too.

May 15, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #3,476 of 22,467
out of interest would the initial batch be about 2000 units? wild guess or i read it somewhere. to satisfy british stockists/orders and some intl?

May 15, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #3,477 of 22,467
I don't mean 'audiophilia' as meaning "ultimate reference system". I mean 'audiophilia' in its etymological meaning. Etymologically an 'audiophile' translates to 'audio lover'. Having a bath with the Hugo 2 as a star component of a portable system is an act of love for audio quality. If it sounds better than the bluetooth speaker's componentry all by itself then it is a success in audiophilia.

Can 2.5 watts adequately power efficient teacup sized speakers without sounding like loud headphones? Bluetooth speakers were definitely many degrees in terms of sound quality than a single loud headphone.

edit. is that 2.5w per channel or in total? On eBay I can find speakers that take 3w

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #3,478 of 22,467
I don't mean 'audiophilia' as meaning "ultimate reference system". I mean 'audiophilia' in its etymological meaning. Etymologically an 'audiophile' translates to 'audio lover'. Having a bath with the Hugo 2 as a star component of a portable system is an act of love for audio quality. If it sounds better than the bluetooth speaker's componentry all by itself then it is a success in audiophilia.

Can 2.5 watts adequately power efficient teacup sized speakers without sounding like loud headphones? Bluetooth speakers were definitely many degrees in terms of sound quality than a single loud headphone.

I am sorry to rain on your parade, but a bluetooth speaker is a bluetooth speaker. You can use it to enjoy music, but don't expect it to do justice to something like a Hugo2 and don't expect the Hugo2 to transform it into something it is not. Some people may see the act of using a Hugo2 to drive a bluetooth speaker as an act of disrespect that has little to do with love.

A mobile phone would be the logical thing to connect to a bluetooth speaker.

May 15, 2017 at 5:13 AM Post #3,479 of 22,467
Is Hugo 2 the best DAC right now in Its price class, even if I am mainly going to use it as a source for an external (electrostatic) headphone amp?
Some say the 2Qute is as good if not potentially better since it has galvanic isolation for USB. It does require an amp however to control volume and not transportable like the HUGO2.

May 15, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #3,480 of 22,467
If anyone sees it as an act of disrespect they need to take a bubble bath, with whatever system they choose and chill out. If it is possible to get better sound using the Hugo 2 in that way then it is for my benefit, That is all I am trying to establish. Does the headphone or minispeaker application have as much effect as the wattage itself? Cause I have worked out they use small wattages.....just don't know if the Hugo 2 is 2.5 watts per channel. Cause if it is....a very nice bubblebath portable stereo could be made.

Sorry to anyone that gets offended I am not willing to take my amplifier and beautiful bookshelf speakers into the bath with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back