Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 12, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #3,436 of 22,475
Rob: thank you for the post with specifics I read a few times.

For the filters can anyone recommend specific headphones that has worked well with DAVE and/or Hugo?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #3,437 of 22,475
For the filters can anyone recommend specific headphones that has worked well with DAVE and/or Hugo?

Thanks in advance.
I'm a big fan of the HE1000 with the DAVE; it sounds great driven by Hugo and Mojo, too (modified, recabled and equalized in my case).

May 12, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #3,439 of 22,475
HI Hooster,

I fully understand now. i would like to check the exclusive mode setting. this is where tidal has control of the dac's sampling rate etc ie exclusive use of the audio device.. i am just using the output on my imac at present. when i choose exclusive mode the computer volume slider no longer works only the tidal volume slider. so does exclusive mode ensure bit perfect output from tidal as well? i assume so if computer volume no longer works here? thank mk if the tidal volume can be adjusted is tidal sending a bit perfect signal to the dac?

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,440 of 22,475
HI Hooster,

I fully understand now. i would like to check the exclusive mode setting. this is where tidal has control of the dac's sampling rate etc ie exclusive use of the audio device.. i am just using the output on my imac at present. when i choose exclusive mode the computer volume slider no longer works only the tidal volume slider. so does exclusive mode ensure bit perfect output from tidal as well? i assume so if computer volume no longer works here? thank mk if the tidal volume can be adjusted is tidal sending a bit perfect signal to the dac?

Sorry, I don't know anything about macs. Can someone who knows macs pls help?

I would assume that the output is not bit perfect if the Tidal volume slider works. It is grayed out for me. If it is working before the signal leaves the computer it must be doing something/processing so I don't think you can be getting bit perfect out..

May 12, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,441 of 22,475
Sorry, I don't know anything about macs. Can someone who knows macs pls help?

I would assume that the output is not bit perfect if the Tidal volume slider works. It is grayed out for me. If it is working before the signal leaves the computer it must be doing something/processing so I don't think you can be getting bit perfect out..

On a Mac....

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 23.38.05.png

To the right of where you see "Mojo" there'll be a small mechanical "wheel". If you click that you'll see this:

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 23.38.40.png

Select "Use Exclusive Mode" and "Force Volume". This will give bit-perfect output and lock volume. Mojo doesn't handle MQA decoding so leave "Passthrough MQA" unchecked to let the Tidal software handle the first "unfolding". Masters show as either 88.2 or 96 kHz on Mojo. It's the same with Hugo but I can't demonstrate with that as I've already sent it off as part-ex for Hugo 2.

Hope this helps!

May 12, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #3,442 of 22,475
FOR TONY.

thats excellent tony. by using force volume with exclusive mode both the computer volume slider and the tidal volume are now disused hence ensuring bit perfect output. exactly what i was looking for as until now i've only been using exclusive mode without force volume. (exclusive mode is important for me for mqa tracks so Hooster's solution didn't quite address my issue). out of interest is force volume doing anything more than keeping tidal at max volume? i assume so as it also ensures bit perfect output? would using force volume result in times at having a track playing too loudly when or before further adjustments to volume are made with the external dac?

final point if i listen to compilations on you tube (as there is some music i can't get on tidal, spotify etc) is there any type of software to enable bit perfect output from services like you tube or is this impossible as it depends on the original recording, mastering etc? thanks to all MK

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #3,443 of 22,475
would using force volume result in times at having a track playing too loudly when or before further adjustments to volume are made with the external dac?

It can not play too loudly before further adjustments are made, since a flow of zeroes and ones does not in itself make any sound. Nothing actually plays until the external dac outputs an analog signal.

May 12, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #3,444 of 22,475
HI Hooster,

so when it says force volume: keep tidal volume at max level is this not an indication that tidal has increased the volume to maximum from within the tidal desktop app? if tidal has no influence on the 'physical' volume heard and the external device the hugo 2 is in charge totally of controlling the volume, why does tidal mention max. volume under the force volume option?? the important words being volume and maximum... is this not misleading then? would a more accurate description by tidal be force volume: the tidal desktop app volume control is disabled. all volume adjustments are the sole responsibility of the external device? why do they mention max volume there must be a reason? thanks MK

learning bit by bit:saxophone::8ball::saxophone::8ball:

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #3,445 of 22,475
HI Hooster,

so when it says force volume: keep tidal volume at max level is this not an indication that tidal has increased the volume to maximum from within the tidal desktop app? if tidal has no influence on the 'physical' volume heard and the external device the hugo 2 is in charge totally of controlling the volume, why does tidal mention max. volume under the force volume option?? the important words being volume and maximum... is this not misleading then?

learning bit by bit

You are right. It is misleading. Instead of max volume they could have called it pure out, unprocessed, un-attenuated or some such. I think un-attenuated is probably the best way to describe it.

May 13, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #3,446 of 22,475
Thanks for feedback

May 13, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #3,447 of 22,475
What about the
Fiio 5iii

How does this compare for use as a transport for the HUGO2?

USP out vs Coax/TOSLINK optical, speed, Wifi for TIDAL and TIDAL download capability for playback from SD card, quality of touch screen UI software, playlists, total max storage with SD card etc.

Thanks
I find the UI on the AK a lot more responsive. It's also a little easier to navigate. I've grown quite accustomed to AK's UI, actually.

Btw, some of AK's DAPs, such as the AK70, AK240 and the AK380 have USB out connectivity. I've used the latter 2 with my Mojo, although I haven't compared them directly to the optical out.

May 13, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3,449 of 22,475
It is just a setting. The volume on Tidal is disabled. You can slide the computer's volume all you like but it does not do anything, so where it is set is irrelevant, it is disabled. This is the way it works on my computer. How is it possible? A setting in Tidal accomplishes this.

I believe that what it does essentially is to bypass all the computer's sound processing, volume control included. By bypassing the computer's sound processing it ensures that the signal passed from Tidal out from your computer is bit perfect. If your computer's volume control actually does something, then you are not bypassing the computers processing and you need to change settings.
It's the same on the Android,volume can't be adjusted but I'm using the naim app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back