Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 15, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #3,481 of 22,467
Some say the 2Qute is as good if not potentially better since it has galvanic isolation for USB. It does require an amp however to control volume and not transportable like the HUGO2.

I'm pretty sure that just having galvanic isolation would not compensate for the older WTA filter, less TAPs, and less Pulse Array elements. I'd put my money on the Hugo2, unless your source is particularly bad, but even then I'm not sure the galvanic isolation would make a notable difference compared to the Hugo2. Now, if someone ends up preferring the tonality of the 2Qute and the fact that it's mains powered then all the power to them. I just can't reconcile anyone thinking the 2Qute will objectively be better than the Hugo2, given the improvements Rob has made, tonal preferences aside.

If used in a desktop scenario one can easily add an external unit for galvanic isolation from the source then the idea that the 2Qute would be better (except for price) becomes a completely moot conversation, performance wise, IMO.

Now if only we can get our hands on the Hugo2 for some real world impressions!

May 15, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #3,482 of 22,467
If anyone sees it as an act of disrespect they need to take a bubble bath, with whatever system they choose and chill out. If it is possible to get better sound using the Hugo 2 in that way then it is for my benefit, That is all I am trying to establish. Does the headphone or minispeaker application have as much effect as the wattage itself? Cause I have worked out they use small wattages.....just don't know if the Hugo 2 is 2.5 watts per channel. Cause if it is....a very nice bubblebath portable stereo could be made.

Sorry to anyone that gets offended I am not willing to take my amplifier and beautiful bookshelf speakers into the bath with me.
If you search the DAVE thread, then you will find posts describing how some owners have managed to drive high efficiency speakers direct from the DAVE. The DAVE can only output approx 2W, but even so the results are good because you do not get any colouring of the sound by an amplifier.
Doing the same with a Hugo 2, has been discussed, and I am sure that someone will try the experiment. Bear in mind that the Hugo 2 has about half the power of a DAVE, so they will need efficient speakers and not expect ear bursting volume levels.

May 15, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #3,483 of 22,467
I wonder if an intona or similar device with all of its benefits would somehow add an artificial veil to the finely tuned sound that hugo 2 produces? that worries me but i will need isolation for my imac. :thinking::thinking:

May 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #3,484 of 22,467
If anyone sees it as an act of disrespect they need to take a bubble bath, with whatever system they choose and chill out. If it is possible to get better sound using the Hugo 2 in that way then it is for my benefit, That is all I am trying to establish. Does the headphone or minispeaker application have as much effect as the wattage itself? Cause I have worked out they use small wattages.....just don't know if the Hugo 2 is 2.5 watts per channel. Cause if it is....a very nice bubblebath portable stereo could be made.

Sorry to anyone that gets offended I am not willing to take my amplifier and beautiful bookshelf speakers into the bath with me.
The Hugo² outputs 1 watt per channel at 8 Ω – that should be enough for bathroom levels.

Hugo¹............................Hugo²....................... ......DAVE
070 mW at 300 Ω.........0094 mW at 300 Ω............154 mW at 300 Ω
580 mW at 033 Ω.-.. . ....740 mW at 033 Ω..-.......1400 mW at 033 Ω
720 mW at 008 Ω.........1050 mW at 008 Ω..-.. ....2900 mW at 008 Ω (estimated)

May 15, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #3,485 of 22,467
I wonder if an intona or similar device with all of its benefits would somehow add an artificial veil to the finely tuned sound that hugo 2 produces? that worries me but i will need isolation for my imac. :thinking::thinking:

I plan to run my Hugo2 in desktop mode, USB input from a lowly Lenovo Yoga with a regulated battery +5V inserter AND an Intona.
This is as good as it gets for USB, in my opinion. When you hear pop-squeak-crackle it's a digital artifact. When you mention 'veiling' its analog noise seeping into the DAC from the PC/Mac. My solution stops that. I expect to hear the best Hugo2 can offer.
Dan

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #3,486 of 22,467
I am sorry to rain on your parade, but a bluetooth speaker is a bluetooth speaker. You can use it to enjoy music, but don't expect it to do justice to something like a Hugo2 and don't expect the Hugo2 to transform it into something it is not. Some people may see the act of using a Hugo2 to drive a bluetooth speaker as an act of disrespect that has little to do with love.

A mobile phone would be the logical thing to connect to a bluetooth speaker.

The OP was talking about driving the speakers themselves directly, not via bluetooth. The proposal is effectively using the Hugo 2 as a source/pre-amp and power amp driving speakers. Which it can do up to 2.5W per channel.

It may overheat if outputting 5W continuous, but I think it will be OK as its class A design so it will dissipate the same heat no matter what the output power is.

May 15, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #3,487 of 22,467
I will start using a battery powered macbook air 512gb ssd only running tidal and nothing else. in a few months i will switch to an industrial intona on its own (funds allowing) with my imac 27 also 512gb ssd. im looking for a simple solution. can i improve on this Dan? using third party batteries/power inserters doesn't sound good for my macbook air and i see no use for them with a desktop imac.

Last edited:
May 15, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #3,488 of 22,467
So if I can find a 4 ohm speaker it may draw more than 1watt as that is the way numbers were going from the table Jazz!

Thanks for clarifying what I meant as per a preamp amp role SteveOliver, we can laugh now at how I misinterpreted what he thought I meant. Hugo 2 primary chain for sure, no disrespect would be sent out to it by making it a subordinate to a bluetooth players DAC hahaha

May 15, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,489 of 22,467
My dealer also stating 22nd May now for when they get them. Was there any news I missed posted on the battery life as I read that Chord were hoping to increase that? If so, what's the battery life now?

And seeing as I still can't decide !!! Silver or Black

May 15, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #3,490 of 22,467
Th
My dealer also stating 22nd May now for when they get them. Was there any news I missed posted on the battery life as I read that Chord were hoping to increase that? If so, what's the battery life now?

And seeing as I still can't decide !!! Silver or Black
There was a post from John Franks with the numbers - I think they managed to improve the life to 9 hours, but you need to read the post to be sure. Used to be easy when there was a search function - so try google.

May 15, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #3,491 of 22,467
So if I can find a 4 ohm speaker it may draw more than 1watt as that is the way numbers were going from the table Jazz!

Thanks for clarifying what I meant as per a preamp amp role SteveOliver, we can laugh now at how I misinterpreted what he thought I meant. Hugo 2 primary chain for sure, no disrespect would be sent out to it by making it a subordinate to a bluetooth players DAC hahaha
8 Ω is the minimum load impedance recommended for the Hugo(s).

May 15, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,492 of 22,467
I will start using a battery powered macbook air 512gb ssd only running tidal and nothing else. in a few months i will switch to an industrial intona on its own (funds allowing) with my imac 27 also 512gb ssd. im looking for a simple solution. can i improve on this Dan? using third party batteries/power inserters doesn't sound good for my macbook air and i see no use for them with a desktop imac.

Rob Watts has said the Hugo2 has improved USB RF immunity but not Galvanic isolation because it draws a lot of power to do it right. I previously had a 2qute (gavanically isolated USB design) that did benefit (nominally) from an Intona and also from a better external power supply. Both of these improvements I did against RW's recommendation ...the claim that the 2Qute USB and factory PSU were sufficient. Well my ears heard differently.
Similarly, I will apply maximum USB chain conditioning with my Hugo2 (when it arrives) and then remove items as my auditioning determines.
I also have a MacBook on hand and I will report on what I believe is the best USB chain.
Dan

May 15, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #3,493 of 22,467

My point was that this speaker is probably not going to reveal any difference between it's own dac and the Hugo or anything else for that matter, so the whole exercise is pointless. If you want to do this, go ahead and have fun.

May 16, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #3,494 of 22,467
When inside I will generally be feeding FLAC/DSD/Spotify to the Hugo2 over USB from a Z5 compact using UAPP but while "Out & About" I'd like to have the Hugo 2 in a jacket pocket with my SE846's plugged in listening to music over BT from my Samsung S8 which would normally be Spotify streamed or offline tracks.

Will AptX Bluetooth be good/stable enough for listening without degradation of the audio quality with them being less demanding files data-wise? Or would you expect the headphone out on the phone to be better than feeding to Hugo 2 over Bluetooth. I think 320 MP3/Ogg files are lower than AptX data rate so no further compression?

Also, have a Fiio RM1 BT remote which I can use with my Phone or Fiio X5III. Am a correct in assuming the Hugo 2 acts like a Bluetooth speaker so wouldn't support the BT remote functions.

Would changing volume on the phone connected to Hugo 2 over BT still lower volume of Hugo 2?

Last edited:
May 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #3,495 of 22,467
Right JaZZ, if it isn't healthy to go to 4Ω then I shan't do that, that would tax the Hugo 2 more than necessary right, like overheating?

Hooster, there may be little point, but it isn't pointless. The point for me is minimalism and curiosity. I bet there is a a tiny speaker and cabinet design coupled with the Hugo 2 that would sound better than being put through the stock standard DAC + amp componentry in most lightweight portable bluetooth speakers. It just isn't a marketable commodity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back