Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 23, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #2,116 of 22,502
if Rob could be kind enough to clear up these two points that would be great or anyone that has the answers cheers mk.

1) going from 16FS to 256FS for the WTA filter i understand the algorithm used here reconstructs the original analogue signal from the digital information. the more taps therefore by the laws of physics we get an ever more accurate representation of the original recorded sound. the filters resembling mojo's tonal balance are set at 16FS and the "dave" filters at 256FS so i assumed the number of taps would increase from "mojo to the dave" filters. however from one of your posts it seems to indicate the number of taps remains fixed at the highest level regardless of filter selected.i.e the number of taps is always 49,152. i would be grateful for clarification here.

2) with the filters that resemble mojo's tonal balance can i assume orange is optimal for 44.1khz files and red for 96/192khz files (so here any high frequency distortion is neutralised) in exactly the same way that we have been advised to use the white and green filters that resemble dave's tonal balance. (FS refers to frequency sample if i'm right?) many thanks mk.

edit: *or the number of maximum taps 49,152 refers to WTA stage 1 only regardless of whether the 16FS or 256 FS WTA filter is employed so it's always the same at 49,152 taps? you also explain the amalgamation and transmission of the combined "signals" (multiplexing) occurs at the output and this is identical for all WTA filters.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,117 of 22,502
Better definition of individual instruments in large ensembles.  I noticed that with the Hugo1.  I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sweet. That's it?

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #2,119 of 22,502
OCD everywhere.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #2,120 of 22,502
 we have been advised to use the white and green filters that resemble dave's tonal balance. (FS refers to frequency sample if i'm right?) many thanks mk.

I thought the white and green filters resemble the Hugo's tonal balance.

From the official Chord site:

"Filters (Digital):

Hugo (Ultimate Reference) (White)

Hugo HF+ (High Frequency roll off) (Green)

Mojo (‘Smooth’) (Orange)

Mojo HF+ (High Frequency roll off) (Red)"

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,121 of 22,502
no Hooster,

we moved on from that period of confusion many yesterdays ago. it has been explained that hugo 2 can be thought of as being a mojo/dave hybrid in the simplest of terms. the white/green filters resembling dave's tonal balance and the red/orange filters resembling mojo's tonal balance. not a mojo or dave identical sound. the only aspect carried over from the hugo is the code for the bluetooth implementation. Rob has stated that the term hugo is confusing here and that these filters will now be named incisive to represent the clear and direct sound of the filters that give us an accurate sense of dave's tonal balance. after all that's been said i am surprised you still think hugo 2 has a connection to the sound of hugo 1. this was my first area of serious questioning as i doubted hugo's influence on hugo 2. here i was proved right. now for my queries are you able to help me? 

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #2,122 of 22,502
Quick question, I've ordered mine from the US (did this because thr price here is rediculas), anyway I'm based in Australia and I notice it comes with 2 amp usb charger I think this is the one that goes directly from the hugo 2 into your wall socket.

Anyway is that the redommended way to charge it if your just going to use it for your desktop dac? Or can I just leave it plugged in via USB to my PC like I do with my mojo at moment and feed it through optical for sound as I currently am doing.

Or can I just buy an Australian 2 amp power supply and that will work? As it's coming from the US it's going to come with a US wall plug and not a local one for here.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #2,123 of 22,502
Quick question, I've ordered mine from the US (did this because thr price here is rediculas), anyway I'm based in Australia and I notice it comes with 2 amp usb charger I think this is the one that goes directly from the hugo 2 into your wall socket.

Anyway is that the redommended way to charge it if your just going to use it for your desktop dac? Or can I just leave it plugged in via USB to my PC like I do with my mojo at moment and feed it through optical for sound as I currently am doing.

Or can I just buy an Australian 2 amp power supply and that will work? As it's coming from the US it's going to come with a US wall plug and not a local one for here.

My advice would be to get a convertor socket/plug so you can use the supplied charger. You do need that plugged in even when used in desktop mode as it does nit take charge from the PC to USB input connection.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #2,124 of 22,502
  no Hooster,

we moved on from that period of confusion many yesterdays ago. it has been explained that hugo 2 can be thought of as being a mojo/dave hybrid in the simplest of terms. the white/green filters resembling dave's tonal balance and the red/orange filters resembling mojo's tonal balance. not a mojo or dave identical sound. the only aspect carried over from the hugo is the code for the bluetooth implementation. Rob has stated that the term hugo is confusing here and that these filters will now be named incisive to represent the clear and direct sound of the filters that give us an accurate sense of dave's tonal balance. after all that's been said i am surprised you still think hugo 2 has a connection to the sound of hugo 1. this was my first area of serious questioning as i doubted hugo's influence on hugo 2. here i was proved right. now for my queries are you able to help me? 

All I am really doing is repeating information that is present on Chord's website. I think they must have called the filters Hugo for a reason. At the end of the day you will have to put your system together. The sound you hear will not just depend on the Hugo. The source, cables and headphones will also have an effect and determine the final quality of the sound. I think what you will have to do is simply experiment with these filters and see what kind of sound they give in reality. 

There is no doubt that the Hugo2 will be an improvement on the Hugo. There is also no doubt that the Hugo2 is not at DAVE level.

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #2,125 of 22,502
... the only aspect carried over from the hugo is the code for the bluetooth implementation.

Correction: Rob said the only code from the Hugo was the crossfeed. Just keeping it straight. :wink:

This is the same cross-feed on the original Hugo - indeed its the only piece of code coming from Hugo!

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #2,126 of 22,502

G'day mate. Won't you get slumped with 15% tax by customs etc? The local $3700 price is ridonkulous as you said, but the shops are doing much lower if you call them. I've pre-ordered for $3200 from a local dealer in VIC.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #2,127 of 22,502
  if Rob could be kind enough to clear up these two points that would be great or anyone that has the answers cheers mk.

1) going from 16FS to 256FS for the WTA filter i understand the algorithm used here reconstructs the original analogue signal from the digital information. the more taps therefore by the laws of physics we get an ever more accurate representation of the original recorded sound. the filters resembling mojo's tonal balance are set at 16FS and the "dave" filters at 256FS so i assumed the number of taps would increase from "mojo to the dave" filters. however from one of your posts it seems to indicate the number of taps remains fixed at the highest level regardless of filter selected.i.e the number of taps is always 49,152. i would be grateful for clarification here.

2) with the filters that resemble mojo's tonal balance can i assume orange is optimal for 44.1khz files and red for 96/192khz files (so here any high frequency distortion is neutralised) in exactly the same way that we have been advised to use the white and green filters that resemble dave's tonal balance. (FS refers to frequency sample if i'm right?) many thanks mk.

edit: *or the number of maximum taps 49,152 refers to WTA stage 1 only regardless of whether the 16FS or 256 FS WTA filter is employed so it's always the same at 49,152 taps? you also explain the amalgamation and transmission of the combined "signals" (multiplexing) occurs at the output and this is identical for all WTA filters.

1. The 49,152 taps for WTA 1 is always present and does not change. I could play games with numbers and come up with silly "effective tap" numbers but I don't want to play marketing games. So the tap length for WTA 2 is not included in these numbers at all - they are extra.

2. Yes you get a bigger change using the HF filter with SR above 48 kHz for both the 16 FS WTA1 and the 16 FS WTA1 followed by 256 FS WTA2 options.

Rob

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #2,128 of 22,502
G'day mate. Won't you get slumped with 15% tax by customs etc? The local $3700 price is ridonkulous as you said, but the shops are doing much lower if you call them. I've pre-ordered for $3200 from a local dealer in VIC.

I got it for 2866 AU$ from a reputable dealer who frequents here.

I won't pay tax on mine either (declared value and all that :wink: ).

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #2,129 of 22,502
I got it for 2866 AU$ from a reputable dealer who frequents here.

I won't pay tax on mine either (declared value and all that
wink.gif
).

Ha I hear ya. Goes without saying that's a great deal ! Nicely done.

I'd be crying if I'd paid $3700 and read your post but $3200 isn't too bad considering if I get any issues I can drop it off at the dealer.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #2,130 of 22,502
My advice would be to get a convertor socket/plug so you can use the supplied charger. You do need that plugged in even when used in desktop mode as it does nit take charge from the PC to USB input connection.

Yeh I can do that, thanks for the info, but now I know it has to be plugged in via wall socket I will just buy a 2 amp Australian one. Save having to much bulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back