Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 23, 2017 at 3:22 AM Post #2,131 of 22,502
Yeh I can do that, thanks for the info, but now I know it has to be plugged in via wall socket I will just buy a 2 amp Australian one. Save having to much bulk.

I was just trying to save you any awkward warranty discussions which might raise the issue of not using the supplied charger. Yes, I know one 2A charger should be the same as the next 2A charger but . . . . . .

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #2,132 of 22,502

I was just trying to save you any awkward warranty discussions which might raise the issue of not using the supplied charger. Yes, I know one 2A charger should be the same as the next 2A charger but . . . . . .

Well, he could put a transformer ahead of the supplied charger, if that is what is needed to make it work...

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #2,133 of 22,502

I understand, I don't think the supplied charger is custom built specifically for the hugo 2, I'm pretty sure any 2 amp usb charger would work and I highly doubt it void a warranty in anyway.

I mean what if the supplied charger isn't long enough for my requirements due to having my wall socket located a certain distance away from where I will have the hugo 2 located? How would I power it?

I will email them to be safe, but I just can't see it. People use custom cables and power cords all the time I'm sure on a $3K device this was thought of certainly right?

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:38 AM Post #2,134 of 22,502

Well, he could put a transformer ahead of the supplied charger, if that is what is needed to make it work...

Chargers like this often have working volt input range from 100v to 240v anyway so they work more or less anywhere.

Mar 23, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,135 of 22,502
I will email them to be safe, but I just can't see it. People use custom cables and power cords all the time I'm sure on a $3K device this was thought of certainly right?

Absolutely agreed that it shouldn't make any difference but if you email then you are covered.

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #2,137 of 22,502
thanks to Rob for setting me on the right path as to the nature of the 4 filters. the new information really helps to fill voids in my knowledge. also Relic about the crossfeed code point taken. bluetooth and crossfeed are the only sections of hugo 1 to remain in hugo 2.

Mar 23, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,139 of 22,502
is there any update on hugo2 release dates? my dealer is saying they will arrive in 1's at his shop in the UK

my deposit is placed.

many thanks mk

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #2,140 of 22,502
So, is it or is it not a headphone amplifier? Chord seems to think it is a headphone amplifier. You had best advise them ASAP if they are wrong, so they can change their website, advertising material, etc.... 

First off, you're moving the goalposts. You said that it had a headphone amp, not that it was a headphone amp.

And I repeat, nope, it doesn't. The Hugo actually makes a point of not having an extra amp stage. You're basically listening to the DAC's lineout.

"Firstly, no body can possibly know how good the headphone amp in Hugo is, because there is not a separate headphone stage as such - its integrated into the DAC function directly. You can't remove the sound of the headphone amp from the sound of the DAC, it's one and the same."
Rob Watts

Could you say that the whole unit acts in a way as a headphone amp? Yes, perhaps, insofar as you can plug your headphone in it and listen to it.

You call it semantics? Well, I say semantics matter.

Mar 23, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #2,142 of 22,502
thanks John,

i progressed from wanting a mojo to wanting a hugo to now a hugo2. all based on listening to a hugo!!  many thanks for the update. mk

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #2,144 of 22,502

I understand, I don't think the supplied charger is custom built specifically for the hugo 2, I'm pretty sure any 2 amp usb charger would work and I highly doubt it void a warranty in anyway.

I mean what if the supplied charger isn't long enough for my requirements due to having my wall socket located a certain distance away from where I will have the hugo 2 located? How would I power it?

For distance, an extention cord.  And I believe Chord was quite particular about using the proper PS for H1.  Yes, I would email them.  It's because it's a 3K unit that one should be careful.

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #2,145 of 22,502
We are expecting to ship units in April

I will be getting my hugo 2 from the USA, I live in Australia but because I'm buying from the USA it's going ro come with a 2 amp usb power cord thats not made for our wall sockets over here.

Can you please tell me if I can just buy any Australian 2 amp usb power cord and it will work without issue? Or is there a specific type you can recommend me please?

Thanks for your time :) look forward to your response

Users who are viewing this thread

Back