Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #20,401 of 22,510
deleted

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #20,402 of 22,510
It looks like absolutely usupported scenario with loosing any varranty
It's really strange asking Rob about penetrating H2 till the very internals mentioned...

It's not strange if a product is out of warranty already anyway. We can put that caveat.

We've been through this with Mojo and Rob was always helpful, as long as it was understood it would void warranty or was already out of warranty.

As long as all that is clearly understood, Rob has never found it strange to answer such question...

Let's just let Rob answer the questions that were directed to him please.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:38 AM Post #20,404 of 22,510
use the remote

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #20,405 of 22,510
I just got a Hugo 2 and the volume thingy is very stiff, it's very hard to adjust the volume, is this normal? does it get better?
Mine is not 'very stiff'. Firm enough that it doesn't wander, but 'loose' enough that I can easily adjust it with 1 finger. IIRC it was never significantly stiffer/tighter.

Oct 14, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #20,406 of 22,510
I just got a Hugo 2 and the volume thingy is very stiff, it's very hard to adjust the volume, is this normal? does it get better?
Appears to be broken :frowning2: Arrange a replacement and use the remote control if you have to wait for a replacement.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #20,407 of 22,510
When I have very dry skin, the volume ball is a little hard to turn. Then I have to press down harder to move it, harder than I am comfortable. In that case I get some moisture on the finger.
Usually it needs moderate pressure, like what I get when I balance my phone on the fingertip, a gentle or light touch is not enough.
So in a sense, yes, the volume ball is not very easy to move, but on my unit it gives a smooth and "solid" feel.

Oct 14, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #20,408 of 22,510
When I have very dry skin, the volume ball is a little hard to turn. Then I have to press down harder to move it, harder than I am comfortable. In that case I get some moisture on the finger.
Usually it needs moderate pressure, like what I get when I balance my phone on the fingertip, a gentle or light touch is not enough.
So in a sense, yes, the volume ball is not very easy to move, but on my unit it gives a smooth and "solid" feel.
Same here. But have to say, I perfer more firm than loose. Loose would be real annoying.

Oct 15, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #20,409 of 22,510
Hi @Rob Watts

A few queries:

1. For desktop use, I know the leaving Hugo2 powered on 24/7 is best for battery life health (no cycles). Plus you still have battery power available for dynamic currents driving headphones right, when needed?

2. But regarding 24/7 powered on - will this affect capacitor life?

3. How many years of life (for all components not just battery) do you calculate/expect with Hugo2 powered on 24/7 continuously for desktop headphones use?

4. A few posts above someone mentioned they have disconnected Hugo2's battery and run it off 5Vdc 3A SMPS. It works, but what is maximum current output reduced to, for driving headphones, when the battery is disconnected internally? i.e. what do you actually lose in terms of performance, by disconnecting battery?

Cheers

1. Desktop mode is designed so that the battery voltage is the best for long term operation, and the charging current equals the dissipation current, so the battery only supplies dynamic power.

2. I wouldn't worry about capacitor life, it's no longer a significant issue.

3. Ignoring the battery, my guess would be about 20 years. That's based on my designs in the past lasting for decades and on for 24/7.

4. I do not recommend that - the batteries low impedance is needed for good performance. The OP stage design relies upon the battery being in place when driving headphones.

Happy listening Rob

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #20,411 of 22,510
1. Desktop mode is designed so that the battery voltage is the best for long term operation, and the charging current equals the dissipation current, so the battery only supplies dynamic power.

2. I wouldn't worry about capacitor life, it's no longer a significant issue.

3. Ignoring the battery, my guess would be about 20 years. That's based on my designs in the past lasting for decades and on for 24/7.

4. I do not recommend that - the batteries low impedance is needed for good performance. The OP stage design relies upon the battery being in place when driving headphones.

Happy listening Rob

Thanks for all that!

Oct 15, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #20,412 of 22,510

I would follow @Jawed 's advice there and ask for a replacement. I wouldn't wait weeks/months for it hoping it gets better.

A replacement now is both best for you now and the next person if you decide to sell it later.

Oct 18, 2021 at 8:10 AM Post #20,413 of 22,510
Now that travel is opening up again, I am starting to plan my schedule over the next 2 years. One thing I would like to do is to reduce the cat's cradle of wires I seem to be surrounded with, when sitting in an aircraft seat. I normally listen to music or audiobooks from my iPod touch or iPhone (music on the iPod Touch, audiobooks on the iPhone), connected to a Hugo 2 and using Beyerdynamic T5P Mk.2 headphones, rather than watching films on the seat back screens. Now previously this has involved quite a lot of knitting, what with the required connection from the iPod to the Hugo via an Apple camera connector and then a USB-A to Micro-USB lead, then the long thick standard audio leads for the Beyerdynamic headphones and finally the quite bulky headphones themselves, especially as to reduce their impact on my head from their considerable weight over a long period, I have padded the headband with sheepskin.

I have solved part of the puzzle by replacing the Apple Camera adapter and USB-A to Micro USB cable with one of the very clever 10cm Meenova lightning to Micro-USB smart cables, direct from the iPod to the Hugo 2. I have bought a leather case for the Hugo 2, which has elastic straps on the back to hold an iPod Touch. I am now wondering if for travel only, I can use something more convenient than the excellent but very bulky and cabled Beyerdynamic headphones. I am thinking of buying one of the tiny Anker Bluetooth 3.5mm jack transmitters, to plug into the Hugo and then a pair of the seemingly very highly regarded Sony WH-1000XM4 Bluetooth NC headphones. What concerns me is that the Bluetooth transmitter will negate all the benefits of using the Hugo and I might as well just use the Sony Bluetooth headphones direct from the iPod touch or iPhone, both of which have Bluetooth output without needing the addition of a transmitter like the Hugo 2 does.

Wilson

Oct 18, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #20,414 of 22,510
Now that travel is opening up again, I am starting to plan my schedule over the next 2 years. One thing I would like to do is to reduce the cat's cradle of wires I seem to be surrounded with, when sitting in an aircraft seat. I normally listen to music or audiobooks from my iPod touch or iPhone (music on the iPod Touch, audiobooks on the iPhone), connected to a Hugo 2 and using Beyerdynamic T5P Mk.2 headphones, rather than watching films on the seat back screens. Now previously this has involved quite a lot of knitting, what with the required connection from the iPod to the Hugo via an Apple camera connector and then a USB-A to Micro-USB lead, then the long thick standard audio leads for the Beyerdynamic headphones and finally the quite bulky headphones themselves, especially as to reduce their impact on my head from their considerable weight over a long period, I have padded the headband with sheepskin.

I have solved part of the puzzle by replacing the Apple Camera adapter and USB-A to Micro USB cable with one of the very clever 10cm Meenova lightning to Micro-USB smart cables, direct from the iPod to the Hugo 2. I have bought a leather case for the Hugo 2, which has elastic straps on the back to hold an iPod Touch. I am now wondering if for travel only, I can use something more convenient than the excellent but very bulky and cabled Beyerdynamic headphones. I am thinking of buying one of the tiny Anker Bluetooth 3.5mm jack transmitters, to plug into the Hugo and then a pair of the seemingly very highly regarded Sony WH-1000XM4 Bluetooth NC headphones. What concerns me is that the Bluetooth transmitter will negate all the benefits of using the Hugo and I might as well just use the Sony Bluetooth headphones direct from the iPod touch or iPhone, both of which have Bluetooth output without needing the addition of a transmitter like the Hugo 2 does.

Wilson

You are right - using a BT transmitter you'll introduce several conversions: analog - digital - BT transmission (likely compressed) - digital - analog.
I doubt that ANY of the quality gains of the Hugo 2 DAC will still be present after those conversions.

One way to reduce the bulk of the system would be to get a Dan Clark Audio AEON Closed headphone.
Rob Watts wrote about using that headphone for travel. It's really clever how it folds down to a small package.

Oct 18, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #20,415 of 22,510
You are right - using a BT transmitter you'll introduce several conversions: analog - digital - BT transmission (likely compressed) - digital - analog.
I doubt that ANY of the quality gains of the Hugo 2 DAC will still be present after those conversions.

One way to reduce the bulk of the system would be to get a Dan Clark Audio AEON Closed headphone.
Rob Watts wrote about using that headphone for travel. It's really clever how it folds down to a small package.
Specifically, owning both - I'd go for Aeon2C as there is quite a difference between the two...is only one I'd recommend from his line though. The price inclines way steeper than the tech/sound improvements as of late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back