Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #18,856 of 22,475
My opinion has zero to do with it. I used to buy into digital cable Interconnects and when I couldn’t hear any difference between the stock stuff and the expensive stuff (unlike analogue interconnects) I researched it properly and in depth. It’s not my opinion, it is a fact that different cables do not affect a binary digital signal.

the day you can prove me wrong I will stop saying it, but until then I am free to express my opinion and post my advice as much as you can yours and if you see my other posts it has nothing to do with feeling right or superior.

Ok

Aug 12, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #18,857 of 22,475
I just like a well made cable whether digital or analog. It’s part of the esthetic. Pricing is another thing.

Aug 13, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #18,858 of 22,475
Since I posted getting the Shure KSE1200, some folk added comments saying 'great pairing'.

Sort of want to update. At the time I loved them and still do. However with the air-con running right now, I have not had so much music. Last night I plugged the KSE1200 for their isolation into the Hugo 2. I went on what can only be described as gone into a musical void for a few hours.

I think it was partly down to not still analysing the KSE1200 sound, and just listening to the music. My appreciation for the KSE1200, and the Hugo 2 has taken another step up. It was like the music took off and did its own thing. I think it was also partly because I had not listened to music for a few days. I must have been overdue a music zonk-out; (a perfectly sober one, that is.)

The KSE have that 'get out of the way' and let the music play, quality. Or that great music just takes off on its own.

OK they are IEMs so they take getting accustomed to, after say speakers or headphones. If you let them do their thing though, they make the Hugo 2 indispensable.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #18,859 of 22,475
Since I posted getting the Shure KSE1200, some folk added comments saying 'great pairing'.

Sort of want to update. At the time I loved them and still do. However with the air-con running right now, I have not had so much music. Last night I plugged the KSE1200 for their isolation into the Hugo 2. I went on what can only be described as gone into a musical void, for a few hours.

I think it was partly down to, not still analysing the KSE1200 sound, and just listening to the music. My appreciation for the KSE1200, and the Hugo 2 has taken another step up. It was like the music took off and did its own thing. I think it was also partly because I had not listened to music for a few days. I must have been overdue a music zonk-out; (a perfectly sober one, that is.)

The KSE have that 'get out of the way' and let the music play, quality. Or that great music just takes off on its own.

OK they are IEMs so they take getting accustomed to, after say speakers or headphones. If you let them do their thing though, they make the Hugo 2 indispensable.
I rarely listen to them with the hugo2 as I kind of have two set ups. The KSEs partnered to an audioquest dragonfly cobalt and the Hugo 2 partnered to a pair of Audeze lcd-4z.
The sound of the KSEs with the dragonfly is already mind blowing but I think I’m going to dedicate tonight to some KSE/Hugo 2 time just to hear them really shine.

Aug 14, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #18,860 of 22,475
Hello, odd question here but has anyone manage to get a hold of the 2020 Audioengine A2+?

Am curious if they would sound better than a pair of Sonos One especially with Hugo 2 feeding it via RCA. Thanks all

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #18,862 of 22,475
I can't say I noticed any burn in with Hugo 2.

However when I first hooked up Hugo 2 to my amp and speakers. Which were then, Dynaudio Emit M10 and Rega Brio (2017 model). … It took me about a month to adjust to Hugo 2 after having used Mojo.

In fact, the Hugo 2 was that good, life was too short to do anything but listen to it. I ordered myself to sit in front of it for a month to adjust as quickly as possible. To get to enjoy it as much as possible, as soon as possible.

Aug 15, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #18,865 of 22,475
I have NOT seen a definitive answer on HUGO 2 BURN IN?????

Some say play for a week or more????

anyone have experience with this???

@Rob Watts ??

I haven't heard any change with new units against old units. But brain burn in is possible - that's where you get used to the sound, the brain adapts to it, and you get the impression that focus and depth is better. It can take a few weeks to adjust to a different sound.

Aug 16, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #18,866 of 22,475
I was told by Moon Audio at least 50 hours, but my question is do you save any battery by dimming the lights?
I haven't heard any change with new units against old units. But brain burn in is possible - that's where you get used to the sound, the brain adapts to it, and you get the impression that focus and depth is better. It can take a few weeks to adjust to a different sound.
@Rob Watts what is your take on these Hugo 2/Mojo Hardware mods???? BS? or LEGIT?

Do you think they are valid beyond the claims? The iBasso guys rave about mods in that community. I will be in thailand in Nov/Dec and this guys said he could do a mod while there... " Hugo2 sounds a lot better. After listening for a while, I noticed clarity and details improved significantly. Background is much more quiet with more micro details revealed. I’d say it sounds better around 40-50% for improvements."

Chord Hugo / Hugo 2
Reference – The reason why Chord Hugo sounds harsh and unforgiving was due to stock capacitors implemented for best specifications in budget. Upgrading capacitors will resolve this harshness and improve musicality a lot.

Signature – Chord Hugo use dual mono battery design so tapping battery to Hugo circuit board directly will require amount of work. I also replaced additional headphone jack with 2.5 termination using best silver-plated contacts.

I never liked Chord Hugo when it came out and I was little reluctant to accept modding Chord Hugo unit from DX200 with Fidelizer Ultimate Mod customer. After listening to modified Chord Hugo, I was truly blown away beyond expectations.

-Upgrade tantalum capacitor with highend grade ones fixing harshness sound signature
-Upgrade aluminum capacitor for charging and output stage for solid sound performance
-Modify battery module to use direct connection with high purity copper wiring for full sound dynamics
-Replace additional output jack for 2.5 termination with silver-plated contact for balanced ground topology design

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #18,867 of 22,475
@Rob Watts what is your take on these Hugo 2/Mojo Hardware mods???? BS? or LEGIT?

Do you think they are valid beyond the claims? The iBasso guys rave about mods in that community. I will be in thailand in Nov/Dec and this guys said he could do a mod while there... " Hugo2 sounds a lot better. After listening for a while, I noticed clarity and details improved significantly. Background is much more quiet with more micro details revealed. I’d say it sounds better around 40-50% for improvements."

Chord Hugo / Hugo 2
Reference – The reason why Chord Hugo sounds harsh and unforgiving was due to stock capacitors implemented for best specifications in budget. Upgrading capacitors will resolve this harshness and improve musicality a lot.

Well, if they had splurged on the capacitors, etc., then perhaps it would have been competing with TT2 and they would hardly have wanted that. Like anything else the Hugo2 is made to a price and that has got to lead to some compromises. The Hugo2 can probably be improved, just like anything else can. The question you need to ask yourself is how far are you willing to go and where will you stop?

Aug 17, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #18,868 of 22,475
Well, if they had splurged on the capacitors, etc., then perhaps it would have been competing with TT2 and they would hardly have wanted that. Like anything else the Hugo2 is made to a price and that has got to lead to some compromises. The Hugo2 can probably be improved, just like anything else can. The question you need to ask yourself is how far are you willing to go and where will you stop?
Not the right question to ask an audiophile! 😃

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #18,869 of 22,475
My opinion has zero to do with it. I used to buy into digital cable Interconnects and when I couldn’t hear any difference between the stock stuff and the expensive stuff (unlike analogue interconnects) I researched it properly and in depth. It’s not my opinion, it is a fact that different cables do not affect a binary digital signal.

the day you can prove me wrong I will stop saying it, but until then I am free to express my opinion and post my advice as much as you can yours and if you see my other posts it has nothing to do with feeling right or superior.

It’s not your opinion; it’s fact.

It is your opinion; you’ll post as much as the other fella.

🙂

Aug 17, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #18,870 of 22,475

Chord Hugo / Hugo 2

Signature – Chord Hugo use dual mono battery design so tapping battery to Hugo circuit board directly will require amount of work. I also replaced additional headphone jack with 2.5 termination using best silver-plated contacts.

I never liked Chord Hugo when it came out and I was little reluctant to accept modding Chord Hugo unit from DX200 with Fidelizer Ultimate Mod customer. After listening to modified Chord Hugo, I was truly blown away beyond expectations.

-Upgrade tantalum capacitor with highend grade ones fixing harshness sound signature
-Upgrade aluminum capacitor for charging and output stage for solid sound performance
-Modify battery module to use direct connection with high purity copper wiring for full sound dynamics
-Replace additional output jack for 2.5 termination with silver-plated contact for balanced ground topology design

I recently watched a video on capacitors in audio equipment from PS Audio, on YouTube.

The conclusion was capacitors in power supplies are good. Capacitors on what I think would be the output area, are bad. Therefor whoever did the modding would need to know exactly what type of capacitor to improve sound for output stages. I think they would have to be highly knowlegable.

I know this page was about Hugo and Hugo 2. I don't know the Hugo 2, but I would not tamper with my Hugo 2 in any way at all. I think it's bang on right sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back