Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 5, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #18,827 of 22,467
I’m curious about the investment into a 2go.

Aside from SD card and other great features, I’m keen to understand if it actually provides improved audio quality by connecting directly to my office WiFi and playing Tidal Master vs simply connecting the H2 via USB into my MacBook Pro/Dock which operates on that same WiFi network.

I tried to do some reading on this but could find a definitive answer.

I contacted Chord directly about this...

"Hi Doug, to be clear, we make no claims of improved performance via 2Go. It is solely designed to create a convenient network and portable interface for Hugo2 and- all things being equal- sounds no different to the USB input.
All the best

Ed Selley / Customer Support"

Not sure if that applies to all usb source though as not all computers a built equally for USB output.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #18,828 of 22,467
I contacted Chord directly about this...

"Hi Doug, to be clear, we make no claims of improved performance via 2Go. It is solely designed to create a convenient network and portable interface for Hugo2 and- all things being equal- sounds no different to the USB input.
All the best

Ed Selley / Customer Support"

Not sure if that applies to all usb source though as not all computers a built equally for USB output.
I’ve tested it Dougie. No difference in sound. 2go is convenience only

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #18,829 of 22,467
Lot of talk about battery swaps, what age of units are showing poorly performing batteries? Is this pretty common? What are the signs, just reduced time on playback or failing to charge?

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #18,830 of 22,467
Thanks for the additional detail guys. Much appreciated.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #18,832 of 22,467
Lot of talk about battery swaps, what age of units are showing poorly performing batteries? Is this pretty common? What are the signs, just reduced time on playback or failing to charge?
Certainly a lot of talk, but I think the number of owners who have posted that they have actually had new batteries, is in single digits.
Chord introduced desktop mode for the Hugo2, to prevent most of the battery issues that were a problem with the original Hugo, and to a lesser extent the Mojo.

Aug 5, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #18,833 of 22,467
Any JRiver users here? What's your DSP setup / setting with Hugo? (with Hugo ASIO)

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #18,834 of 22,467
maybe no dsp is best. just let h2 goto work on rbcd files.

Aug 5, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #18,835 of 22,467
Found unless I set the specific DSD mode, eg, x1/x2, I'll get pops and crackles during playback. Same when ignoring DSD and setting for freq only, anything over 192khz give pops / crackles. Also confirmed the latter in sound manager when clicking 'test' when manually setting bit/sample.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #18,839 of 22,467
Cross-posting from the Utopia thread.

Hugo 2 - WA2 - Utopia

I’m not sure what I expected with this amp and pairing. I’ve only ever auditioned the WA22 with the RME and Utopia and I found it quite clean and clear with body. It wasn’t really warm in any way though.

Going into the WA2 I knew from my research that it’s warmer and more traditional as a tube amp compared to the WA22, and I expected to potentially not like the sound. My only other tube comparison is with the Cayin HA-1A unit a friend had, which sounded soft to my ears.

This WA2, Hugo 2 and Utopia pairing is really quite good. It feels like the right mix of elements. Smoother and warmer WA2, detailed and separated Hugo 2, Bright leaning and detailed punchy Utopia. The result is a nice balance of elements.

My V281 with the Utopia and Hugo 2 is definitely smoother than using the RME with the V281. While Hugo 2 made the Utopia smoother than on the RME, this WA2 is smoother again. Important however to understand that I am not saying soft.

With this setup I am getting the punch of the Utopia, the detail of the Chord and Utopia, but with a wider soundstage, a somewhat angelic sound (which is the word I use to often describe HD800S). It just feels like it works together well.

I listened to the Utopia for hours last night and at no point felt like I’d had enough. My recently sold Audio GD D28.38 or running my RME solo made me feel that way after a while - my brain had been beaten up enough. Detail and slam is great, but the Utopia needs to be tamed unless you specifically want a session with those harsher characteristics.

Im not sure my Empyrean will work as well on the WA2, and I don’t have a single ended cable for it to even try (yet). Perhaps with the silver lined cable they make it’d work, but again I think you need the right mix of elements to bring it all together.

I’ve just swapped out my Hugo 2 with my RME in this chain and it is definitely less smooth and musical compared to the H2/WA2 pairing. It’s slightly harsher/brighter sounding with the RME.

So far I think the RME makes sense balanced with the V281 which while also smoothes the Utopia a little, it adds more warmth and soundstage and experience with the WA2. I feel like they will go well together with perhaps another solid state amp to join that’s a bit more clinical, such as THX based amp or an amp/dac with MQA.

I’ve been enjoying the Utopia for 80% of general listening, but the Hugo 2 and WA2 pairing means it’s good to go for just about anything. Especially for those later at night sessions where I would have otherwise used the Empyrean exclusively.

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #18,840 of 22,467
have you tried hugo 2 on its own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back