Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #17,416 of 22,475
Anyone have a Dignis case as desktop usage? Or any case I suppose. Is overheating a concern in desktop mode w/ a case?
Hi, Koven,

Firstly i dont have dignis case so sorry. But overheating i heave with Hugo2 happens even without the case while charging sitting on desk table. But this accours if i charge completelly discharged Hugo2. After 10mins it switches off. But lets say if i charge to yellow color, then no overheating happens, i can listen and charge 2amps until full. I also wonder if dignis case will overheat it at yellow-green color status or not. But fully depleted and 2amp charging and listening until yellow level switches of.

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #17,417 of 22,475
I have one, I only use it for transport. To me, it's clear it will be hotter if it's sitting in it. As to whether that's bad or not, not sure. It's not causes issues so far.
Definitely, you will get overheating with any case, unless you live in a cold room. Don't bother. I use my case only for travel as well.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #17,420 of 22,475
@Mojo ideas fingers crossed for 2Go announcement at CanJam this weekend. Even if not ready for release for a bit. When @jude showed H2 in the preview YouTube it had me wondering if it was a subtle tease. We will know soon...

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 10:15 AM Post #17,421 of 22,475
Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but i have just received this little adapter from Ghent Audio, which in small way has changed my Hugo2 owning life, and i thought there are probably quite a few people on here, like me who invested heavily in fantastic sounding but ridiculously ungainly USB cables, such as Tellurium Q's Black Diamond, which like many high end cables only comes in USB A-B connectors. Up until now i have been using the seriously unsatisfactory audioquest B-miro USB adapter which places a horrible strain on the Hugo's port.

Another headfier on the DIY forum's suggested i contact Ghent Audio who are happy to make bespoke configurations, and 10 days later $30+ postage lighter in the pocket i have this beautiful thing made with Belden 4 wire shield cable, working seamlessly with zero noticeable loss in sound quality. :):)

IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2601.JPG

Nov 8, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #17,422 of 22,475
It would be nice to have a desktop DAC from Chord with headphone output for £1000-1500. H2 is not the most ideal for desktop use. Instead of a battery this imaginary DAC could have a couple of supercaps and usb b.

Micro b is about to disappear. At least an updated Mojo 2.2 and H2.2 should be around the corner with usb c...
One can dream.

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #17,423 of 22,475
It would be nice to have a desktop DAC from Chord with headphone output for £1000-1500. H2 is not the most ideal for desktop use. Instead of a battery this imaginary DAC could have a couple of supercaps and usb b.

Micro b is about to disappear. At least an updated Mojo 2.2 and H2.2 should be around the corner with usb c...
One can dream.
Grab a used TT(1). Superb DAC.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:48 AM Post #17,427 of 22,475
I already have TT2. It was a theoretical question.
TT1 is good value for price on the secondhand market, but it would always make me feel a bit nervous to buy a used device with batteries.
I understand that you (or anyone else) could feel nervous.
Nevertheless I would hope that if an owner (or prospective owner) of a TT1 that was long out of warranty, needed to consider a battery replacement without incurring excessive service centre costs, an approved way to perform a DIY battery replacement could be identified - much as eventually happened with the Mojo.

Nov 9, 2019 at 5:51 AM Post #17,428 of 22,475
I understand that you (or anyone else) could feel nervous.
Nevertheless I would hope that if an owner (or prospective owner) of a TT1 that was long out of warranty, needed to consider a battery replacement without incurring excessive service centre costs, an approved way to perform a DIY battery replacement could be identified - much as eventually happened with the Mojo.
It must be possible. I wonder what the price would be.

Nov 9, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #17,430 of 22,475
Chord will want to charge a fair bit more for the 2Go than they do for the Poly (£499), and £1300 wouldn’t surprise me (although I’m hoping for under £1K). The challenge for Chord would be justifying such a large price jump. Assuming that only limited brochure space prevents them from mentioning Airplay, Qobuz, Roon, DNLA etc, as they do with the Poly, the only advances on the Poly would seem to be at least twice the amount of aluminium, one extra microSD slot and wired ethernet, and all this coming with one hour less battery life. Would that be worth more than double the Poly price?

But why? Sounds like bad business. Better to charge a reasonable price and sell 10000 than over charging and only selling 100. If it does the same thing as the Poly it should cost the same as the Poly. And why does the Poly cost so much anyway? The price seems insane for what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back