Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #17,401 of 22,516
2go must be getting close now, surely?
chord electronics.pdf
The question is, how much will it be? I'm guessing £1300 (but hoping for less!).

Chord will want to charge a fair bit more for the 2Go than they do for the Poly (£499), and £1300 wouldn’t surprise me (although I’m hoping for under £1K). The challenge for Chord would be justifying such a large price jump. Assuming that only limited brochure space prevents them from mentioning Airplay, Qobuz, Roon, DNLA etc, as they do with the Poly, the only advances on the Poly would seem to be at least twice the amount of aluminium, one extra microSD slot and wired ethernet, and all this coming with one hour less battery life. Would that be worth more than double the Poly price?

Nov 6, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #17,402 of 22,516
chord electronics.pdf
The question is, how much will it be? I'm guessing £1300 (but hoping for less!).
Interestingly, that is not the same brochure that is currently available from the Chord Electronics website, which has a blank space where the 2Go is showing on your pdf. Your brochure might be set for release very shortly, but equally it might just be a contingency version prepared earlier in the year when Chord were uncertain when the 2Go would be ready for release.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #17,404 of 22,516
Works as a very low powered, low (extremely low) jitter, bit-perfect source. Especially when powered using a low noise LPS.

I've always been under the assumption that source doesn't matter much until I tried out a RPi based solution. It's improved many aspects of my audio chain since introducing it: quieter/darker background, better staging and imaging, and more impact. I don't expect many people to believe these claims, but that's fine.

Wouldn't putting my Note10+ android in airplane mode (no outgoing or incoming signals possible) be the same as a totally silent source(raspberry Pi thingy) if I'm transmitting in bitperfect(and I am)

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #17,405 of 22,516
chord electronics.pdf
Poly is £500. 2Go is not much different to Poly, although it matches H2 which is the next step up in Chord line after Mojo.
My guess would be £700-800. Anything above that wouldn't feel right knowing 2Go is basically a different sized Poly...

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #17,408 of 22,516
Including pumping a lot of RF noise into the 0V ground plane, which feeds into the DAC analogue components, and affects transients.

Maybe I'm wrong but there shouldn't be any RF noise in airplane mode. This is why Bluetooth has to takeoff more and be able to stream massive files. Bluetooth that could flawlessly stream giant flac files should totally eliminate EMI/RF. Take not chord, something to consider with hugo3. EMI/RF has been my biggest drawback I've experienced with H2.

So in order to use the Raspberry Pi device I would need to first upload all my files to it via Bluetooth or some other method? Would it be possible to stream live music to the thing, like for example my bandcamp feed. or does this totally negate the point of using it.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #17,409 of 22,516
Maybe I'm wrong but there shouldn't be any RF noise in airplane mode.
Why not!
RF refers to Radio Frequency; Airplane mode removes RF radio waves travelling through the air, but not electrical noise generated at radio frequencies internally by the phone circuitry.
Bluetooth is also using radio waves as the transmission mode - only the radio frequency differs compared to phone to cell mast radio signals.

Nov 6, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #17,410 of 22,516
Why not!
RF refers to Radio Frequency; Airplane mode removes RF radio waves travelling through the air, but not electrical noise generated at radio frequencies internally by the phone circuitry.
Bluetooth is also using radio waves as the transmission mode - only the radio frequency differs compared to phone to cell mast radio signals.

@dontfeedphils
@AC-12
@miketlse

You guys seem very knowledgeable on the Raspberry Pi, mind if I pick your brain a bit?

I am intrigued with the Raspberry Pi, I wonder how it functions and how you get music on it, can it do streaming music? 95% of what I listen to is streaming mp3's on Bandcamp, I have a massive 3000+ flac collection as well but don't find much time to listen to it.

With the Pi I would be limited by the Bluetooth streaming capacity of whatever device I am using, correct? My most Bluetooth capable device is probably my Note10+, my macbookpro is from 2011.

I found a thread online where a ton of roon users are asking for bandcamp integration, I wonder if it's possible yet. I would definitely utilize roon in that case.

What would be the best way to stream bandcamp using the raspberry pi-> Hugo2?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to learn.

With regard to my Hugo2, it is actually under warranty. I will send it off to the 3rd party servicer soon. I won't be buying any more chord products 2nd hand and I will be hanging on to my receipt. As far as conjecture as to what happened and why the screw came loose, it probably just wasn't tightened down enough when assembled. Any screw can come loose especially if it isn't lock-tighted. That said, I am extremely impressed with the sound quality of chord devices.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #17,411 of 22,516
HUGO 2 + Streaming transport Help!

Hi all and can I humbly ask for some suggestions please.

New owner of HUGO 2 (lovin it!) and I'm trying to pair it with a streaming feed as I have my songs stored in a old NAS. Don't really need any online streaming services but most importantly one that will deliver my DSD (.dsf) files.
There's many all-in-ones but I've already got a good DAC! So just looking for something good to feed with.
I'm looking at the Yamaha WXC-50 but was wondering if its suitable or there's anything better?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #17,413 of 22,516
@dontfeedphils
@AC-12
@miketlse

You guys seem very knowledgeable on the Raspberry Pi, mind if I pick your brain a bit?

I am intrigued with the Raspberry Pi, I wonder how it functions and how you get music on it, can it do streaming music? 95% of what I listen to is streaming mp3's on Bandcamp, I have a massive 3000+ flac collection as well but don't find much time to listen to it.

With the Pi I would be limited by the Bluetooth streaming capacity of whatever device I am using, correct? My most Bluetooth capable device is probably my Note10+, my macbookpro is from 2011.

I found a thread online where a ton of roon users are asking for bandcamp integration, I wonder if it's possible yet. I would definitely utilize roon in that case.

What would be the best way to stream bandcamp using the raspberry pi-> Hugo2?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to learn.

With regard to my Hugo2, it is actually under warranty. I will send it off to the 3rd party servicer soon. I won't be buying any more chord products 2nd hand and I will be hanging on to my receipt. As far as conjecture as to what happened and why the screw came loose, it probably just wasn't tightened down enough when assembled. Any screw can come loose especially if it isn't lock-tighted. That said, I am extremely impressed with the sound quality of chord devices.

The nice thing about RPi based devices is that there are a number of OS you could use. I run Volumio which is controlled via web interface and the files are played back by the RPi from either my NAS or via their native Tidal integration. There are a number of other options that use UPNP/DLNA which operates much like Volumio, but instead of the RPi processing the files the files are processed by whatever device you're using to control the the UPNP/DLNA playback, normally your phone. There are a couple of options that are very lightweight (resource wise) and function as strictly a Roon endpoint.

All of these options require a network for the devices to connect to and talk through, no bluetooth. I'm not sure about Bandcamp integration in any of these OS options, but there's a decent chance one of them have some sort of workaround.

Nov 7, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #17,414 of 22,516
HUGO 2 + Streaming transport Help!

Hi all and can I humbly ask for some suggestions please.

New owner of HUGO 2 (lovin it!) and I'm trying to pair it with a streaming feed as I have my songs stored in a old NAS. Don't really need any online streaming services but most importantly one that will deliver my DSD (.dsf) files.
There's many all-in-ones but I've already got a good DAC! So just looking for something good to feed with.
I'm looking at the Yamaha WXC-50 but was wondering if its suitable or there's anything better?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks

My recommendation would have to be the Allo USBridge Signature powered by their Shanti LPS https://www.allo.com/sparky/usbridge-signature-player.html

For the money, it's been one of the best upgrades I've made to my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back