Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 15, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,696 of 22,467
  hi Relic,

after you're advice earlier today everything was fine until this:

There are 4 preset FILTER modes, when button shows white color, it’s “HUGO” mode, it has overall same sound signature of original HUGO,

You are very lucky to have Rob Watts personally explain his tutorial on filters for you http://www.head-fi.org/t/831345/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread/1665#post_13342285

Enjoy, and start counting the days until you get to experience your own Hugo 2 for real. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,698 of 22,467
Thanks Mike,

The filter settings had completely evaded and confused me yesterday. I was looking for the definitive final answer on the exact nature of these filters. i found it very hard to believe there was any hugo 1 influence. now i know we are dealing with a hugo 2 which in fact shares traits from dave and mojo. This is exactly what i was getting at and initially believed. now Rob has confirmed this beyond any doubt.

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,699 of 22,467
I am excited about the technical advancements of the Hugo 2 over the Hugo 1.  But there are 2 concerns I have, regardless of Rob's input, which can only be discerned with actual usage of the DAC.
1.  Power implementation, batteries only.  There deficiency to a well implemented linear power supply.
2.  USB implementation.  Required 5Vbus flashing. 

Thus, I will wait for further reports or implementation of the new technical advancements into a simplified desktop only version.  But for mobility versatility, the Hugo 2 is a winner.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,703 of 22,467
@x RELIC x
  I noticed that you own the Mr Speakers Ether C Flows. Have you tried them with the Hugo 2? Any thoughts or impressions? Thanks.

I haven't tried them with the Hugo2 as I haven't received the tour units yet. Rest assured I will.

With the DAVE the ETHER C Flow sounds great.

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,706 of 22,467
Absolutely production code! And very big holes for the RCA.
The engineer in me can't accept worse than -0.8 dB at 20 kHz, as worse than -1 dB can't be considered flat!

Hi Rob: I have ordered the new Hugo 2 and cannot wait to hear it! I really liked your presentation and explanations. The latest measurements are truly impressive, especially for for example distortion. In terms of dynamic range that is of course also extremely good. I however do not read from your comments that this as is important (ie something that you focus on) as much as other factors such as distortion and noise. Is that correct? The reason I am asking is that some Hi fi magazines seems to focus on the dynamic range (or possibly SNR which I thinks is similar (?)).. Would be interesting to hear your view. Thank you. Paul

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #1,707 of 22,467
  I am excited about the technical advancements of the Hugo 2 over the Hugo 1.  But there are 2 concerns I have, regardless of Rob's input, which can only be discerned with actual usage of the DAC.
1.  Power implementation, batteries only.  There deficiency to a well implemented linear power supply.
2.  USB implementation.  Required 5Vbus flashing. 

Thus, I will wait for further reports or implementation of the new technical advancements into a simplified desktop only version.  But for mobility versatility, the Hugo 2 is a winner.

Other than run time Battery limitations can be circumvented with parallel capacitance. It just needs to be implemented well. I'm not a fan of the USB/DAC interface anyway.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #1,708 of 22,467
Hi Rob: I have ordered the new Hugo 2 and cannot wait to hear it! I really liked your presentation and explanations. The latest measurements are truly impressive, especially for for example distortion. In terms of dynamic range that is of course also extremely good. I however do not read from your comments that this as is important (ie something that you focus on) as much as other factors such as distortion and noise. Is that correct? The reason I am asking is that some Hi fi magazines seems to focus on the dynamic range (or possibly SNR which I thinks is similar (?)).. Would be interesting to hear your view. Thank you. Paul

The focus has become low level distortion, and modulation of the noise floor, because reducing them both as low as possible, greatly improves the ability of the dac to reproduce low level music signals accurately. This is having an undreamt  of impact in improving the brains ability to detect the timing in the music, and better place sound locations, thereby enhancing the listeners ability to locate instruments in the sound stage.

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #1,709 of 22,467
I can confirm this for the Hugo¹ and my (modified) HE1000 V1. I've tried several amps, but the direct drive sounded best by far – more transparent, more accurate, more controlled, more dynamic, more spacious, more musical.

Is the Hugo 2 more powerful than the Hugo 1 ?

Mar 15, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #1,710 of 22,467
I can confirm this for the Hugo¹ and my (modified) HE1000 V1. I've tried several amps, but the direct drive sounded best by far – more transparent, more accurate, more controlled, more dynamic, more spacious, more musical.

Is the Hugo 2 more powerful than the Hugo 1 ?

Slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back