Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 16, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #1,726 of 22,475
"Why would anybody think a $2,300 device will match or excell the same companys $10,000 device? Ill be happy if its better than the previous model(Hugo 1)."

Well the issue is that the DAVE is not transportable and the Hugo2 may be the best portable DAC on the market at any price and may drive all headphones to their capacity like the HEK V2 without an additional Amplifier.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #1,727 of 22,475
Aren't filters really just the modern version of a tone control and reflecting that we all prefer a slightly different presentation to the music?

I personally find the Mojo sound a bit on the soft side and much prefer the sound of the Dave/Hugo which seems more accurate to my ear.

Thats why its best to listen and then buy what you prefer rather than go by what someone else says. But also why maybe its a good idea to give the user some options for fine tuning the output as per Hugo2.

I agree with you on softness. Hugo is really fun with electronic music - the detail and snap is amazing. I'm hoping Hugo2 with Mojo filter brings the best of both: high level of detail but a little less energy on highs compared to hugo.

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,728 of 22,475
Hello
Can anybody confirm that the charger (non only the cable) will be included in the sale box? I know this should be obvious for a product in this price range, but I read something a bit confusing about this in the forum and I simply need to be reassured
Thanks

Mar 16, 2017 at 8:56 AM Post #1,729 of 22,475

Why would anybody think a $2,300 device will match or excell the same companys $10,000 device? Ill be happy if its better than the previous model(Hugo 1).

Because of the pre roll out hysteria where people have got themselves worked up into a state where they have convinced themselves they are getting Dave performance for Hugo price.

If I believed that for one minute then I would immediately go out and sell my Dave and order a Hugo2.

Yes, it's been getting a bit over the top, here about DAVE.  Totally diferent ballpark.  Don't ever expect to hear a DAVE: buying the H2 on its own merrits.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #1,730 of 22,475
Because of the pre roll out hysteria where people have got themselves worked up into a state where they have convinced themselves they are getting Dave performance for Hugo price.

If I believed that for one minute then I would immediately go out and sell my Dave and order a Hugo2.

Mm..exactly!....to those who insist........wake up! Wake up! Lol!

I owned the Hugo for many months in 2014 I think, before upgrading to the Chord TT. Sorry but I cannot make any meaningful comparison between the Hugo 1 and Hugo 2 (too long ago to remember the Hugo 1) but my friend says it is far superior to the Hugo 1. I trust my friend's ears.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,731 of 22,475
  Yes, it's been getting a bit over the top, here about DAVE.  Totally diferent ballpark.  Don't ever expect to hear a DAVE: buying the H2 on its own merrits

imagine having a Dave at 3-4x the cost only to read that it's now met it's match by some significant % SQ/signature
by the hugo 2....who wouldn't be choked if you were a Dave cust, were that to be true.

i know that Jude, in his informative CES videoshow review, did note the hugo2, ''while not being a Dave, is the closest
thing to being a portable Dave'' that he knew of.  i mean i get it, probably a very product, advances have been
made on many levels...we're all excited...but think we have to be careful of the hype train going full max, too.

so i presume that the sound sig have similarities on some levels, mostly given that they're also from the same company.
but what exactly and by how much is sound sig/sq the 'the closest thing to a portable Dave'?

hope people can provide more comparisons and set proper expectations....guess we'll get more thorough
reviews once it's actually released. overall am very excited for this product, however, like many headfiers.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #1,732 of 22,475

i know that Jude, in his CES show review, did note the hugo2, ''while not being a Dave, is the closest
thing to being a portable Dave'' that he knows of.  i mean i get it, probably a very product, advances have been
made on many levels...we're all excited...but think we have to be careful of the hype train going full max, too.

Well of course the Hugo2 is the closest thing to a portable Dave because it is the best portable DAC that Chord manufacture. You can't really dispute that!
It doesn't mean it is a portable Dave or even that it is close, just that it the closest.
You can be second in a 100yrds race and still be 25yds behind the winner (no comparison with the Dave / Hugo2 comparative merits intentioned!!)
All the above just said for fun though and not to do the Hugo2 down.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,733 of 22,475
  Well of course the Hugo2 is the closest thing to a portable Dave because it is the best portable DAC that Chord manufacture. You can't really dispute that!
It doesn't mean it is a portable Dave or even that it is close, just that it the closest.
You can be second in a 100yrds race and still be 25yds behind the winner (no comparison with the Dave / Hugo2 comparative merits intentioned!!)
All the above just said for fun though and not to do the Hugo2 down.

to some extent yes.....but what you say just supports my point: it's also about the inferences that one has to be careful with
as all sorts of things can be filled in.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #1,734 of 22,475
Aren't filters really just the modern version of a tone control and reflecting that we all prefer a slightly different presentation to the music?

I personally find the Mojo sound a bit on the soft side and much prefer the sound of the Dave/Hugo which seems more accurate to my ear.

Thats why its best to listen and then buy what you prefer rather than go by what someone else says. But also why maybe its a good idea to give the user some options for fine tuning the output as per Hugo2.

I agree with you on softness. Hugo is really fun with electronic music - the detail and snap is amazing. I'm hoping Hugo2 with Mojo filter brings the best of both: high level of detail but a little less energy on highs compared to hugo.

That is what I hope for as well. Let's hope our hopes will not be crushed. :wink:

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #1,735 of 22,475
  to some extent yes.....but what you say just supports my point: it's also about the inferences that one has to be careful with
as all sorts of things can be filled in.

I would also include people reading much more into chance throw away comments than was intended.

Mar 16, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #1,736 of 22,475
Although I struggle with much of Rob's technical language, I understand his communication.  

The Hugo 2 is not so much an improvement of Hugo as it is the taking of DAVE and making it into a smaller, portable DAC/amp.  It appears to have been a great technical challenge that required much trial and error mixed with imagination and perseverance.  

For those of whom DAVE is out of reach, this is marvelous news. 

I continue to read, research and learn.  My understanding is that Mojo was a presentation to the general public of the quality of a DAC like Hugo making it a wild success. 

Hugo 2 is like a presentation to audiophiles who cannot, for whatever reason, reach  DAVE.  

I continue to be grateful for a company who's commitment to excellence matches their communication and responsiveness to customers.  They've provided something for all music loves, from those who have only known music through smart phones, to the well-heeled audio  connoisseur who's tastes (brain interpretation) have developed.  

With the magic that Mojo has brought us, the wait period for Hugo 2 has only been softened by reading the posts here!  

For those who've ordered Hugo 2: 

What music are you planning to test drive Hugo 2 with first?

I'm still undecided but will try varying genres as I want to hear vocals, piano, choral, etc.  I am working on my list: 

*Sgt. Pepper's"  (straight through the album though I might want to jump around!) 

*Bob Dylan's "Series of Dreams" for the Daniel Lanois heavy handed effects 

*Swan Lake" 

*Gordon Lightfoot's "Song for a Winter's Night"  (timbre) 

*Fleetwood Mac's "Sara"  (soundstage) 

Mark Knopfler's *Heart Full of Holes"  

"Rites of Spring" 

I need to add in strong piano and perhaps Ma cello solo

What will you be test driving Hugo 2 with?  

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #1,737 of 22,475

Short answer: no. Long answer no... but I am basing my assessment on optical and USB sounding the same with a very high spec MSI lap-top with an i7, 32GB, 4K display (so its likely to be much noisier than a regular lap-top or a mobile) using headphones only. So further isolating the USB will have no effect; but of course different sources, different results are possible.

I must say I was surprised by the null result, I could hear clear differences before.

Rob

This is exciting stuff. So adding external USB galvanic isolation (like the Olimex) won't benefit the Hugo 2, in terms of sonic performance? The way perhaps Hugo 1 and Mojo may benefit

And when you're comparing USB to Toslink sonic performance, do you just use a cheap crappy un-shielded USB cable and a cheap Toslink cables to make those comparisons? Nothing fancy for either input ?

I used the short giveaway USB cable and a short £10 optical cable. The USB is a quality RF specified cable, but sure nothing fancy. And yes, under the circumstances of this test, galvanic isolation would not make a difference; but YMWV depending upon the source, and whether the output is connected to a power amp.

Rob

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #1,738 of 22,475
As far as US dealers, I have a great authorized Chord dealer down here in Texas, who splits time in Florida. He's really fair and really fast with the shipments. I wouldn't deal with anybody else now for Chord stuff...well, and he's a dealer for all high-end headphones and various. Just sayin'.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,739 of 22,475
My review music is more for the speakers and the headphones themselves to find their flaws. When I'm comparing dacs and amps, I use the same tracks simply because I know the songs so well but generally for me, it's about refining the sound of the headphone as a whole. How coherent the imaging is and is there a black background behind it with tons of depth. A biggy for me is making sure the timbre is correct of instruments and voices. If the texture is off or if there's not an apparent colorful display then I'm drawn away. Can't forget about checking to see if there's the right amount of body in the lowest registers! That's usually just how to tell if the setup is good. If it's magical there's something in the details that really tickles my senses.

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #1,740 of 22,475
  Although I struggle with much of Rob's technical language, I understand his communication.  

The Hugo 2 is not so much an improvement of Hugo as it is the taking of DAVE and making it into a smaller, portable DAC/amp.  It appears to have been a great technical challenge that required much trial and error mixed with imagination and perseverance.  

For those of whom DAVE is out of reach, this is marvelous news. 

I continue to read, research and learn.  My understanding is that Mojo was a presentation to the general public of the quality of a DAC like Hugo making it a wild success. 

Hugo 2 is like a presentation to audiophiles who cannot, for whatever reason, reach  DAVE.  

I continue to be grateful for a company who's commitment to excellence matches their communication and responsiveness to customers.  They've provided something for all music loves, from those who have only known music through smart phones, to the well-heeled audio  connoisseur who's tastes (brain interpretation) have developed.  

With the magic that Mojo has brought us, the wait period for Hugo 2 has only been softened by reading the posts here!  

For those who've ordered Hugo 2: 

What music are you planning to test drive Hugo 2 with first?

I'm still undecided but will try varying genres as I want to hear vocals, piano, choral, etc.  I am working on my list: 

*Sgt. Pepper's"  (straight through the album though I might want to jump around!) 

*Bob Dylan's "Series of Dreams" for the Daniel Lanois heavy handed effects 

*Swan Lake" 

*Gordon Lightfoot's "Song for a Winter's Night"  (timbre) 

*Fleetwood Mac's "Sara"  (soundstage) 

Mark Knopfler's *Heart Full of Holes"  

"Rites of Spring" 

I need to add in strong piano and perhaps Ma cello solo

What will you be test driving Hugo 2 with?  

Great idea for a topic to break up the hype.  My 1st track will be track 1 of the Kansas Symphony with Michael Stern playing Miraculous Metamorphisus.  That was the track that gave me a glimpse of the Mojo's limits set against the Hugo.
Dire Straits' Telegraph Road.  (DSD)  Ride Across The River;  from Brothers In Arms MFSL (DSD).  Eric Johnson's 40-Mile Town, from Ah Via Musicom (192,000).  And for 44,100:  some Squeeze, Saga, Marillion etc.  That's for a start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back