Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 24, 2019 at 5:29 AM Post #17,056 of 22,475
Sometimes we miss the obvious - do you know about auto shutdown? It will power down if no input or digital silence after 10 minutes. This is to protect the battery life. But it should not do this if music is playing, and if so it needs to be serviced.

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #17,057 of 22,475
I had an charging issue with the Hugo2. I'm using an Anker wall charger (2A). I use a Nvidia Shield microUSB cable sometimes because it's a long cable so it's convenient. I have no problem charging other devices with this cable.

When I get in a lazy mode, I try to charge the Hugo2 with this cable. The white charging light activates, but after 10 minutes it auto shuts down. No music playing, just charge mode.

I switch to an Anker microUSB charging cable and zero issues charging. White light stays on till after approx. six hours of charging.

Not sure why, but using a HQ USB cable helped.

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #17,058 of 22,475
I had an charging issue with the Hugo2. I'm using an Anker wall charger (2A). I use a Nvidia Shield microUSB cable sometimes because it's a long cable so it's convenient. I have no problem charging other devices with this cable.

When I get in a lazy mode, I try to charge the Hugo2 with this cable. The white charging light activates, but after 10 minutes it auto shuts down. No music playing, just charge mode.

I switch to an Anker microUSB charging cable and zero issues charging. White light stays on till after approx. six hours of charging.

Not sure why, but using a HQ USB cable helped.
Sometimes the resistance of long USB cables is too large, resulting in the voltage and/or current, not being large enough, to charge chord dacs.

Sep 24, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #17,059 of 22,475
I was having mysterious shutdown issues too which ended up being a bad charger which was not the stock one (bought used and assumed the charger was stock). Moon Audio recommended one which has been perfect. I thought my Hugo was overheating during high temperatures and humidity, so I’m thrilled room heat wasn’t an issue after all!

Sep 24, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #17,060 of 22,475
I tried to lower the footprint on my Raspberry Pi portable setup by changing cases, then I stumbled upon a Raspberry Pi Zero setup so I experimented with since the larger Raspberry Pi is a bit bulky for portable use. I de-soldered off the coaxial since coaxial is pointless in my use case. Functionally, it was beautiful as it's footprint was low. Unfortunately, it was a waste of money for the optical digital output board as it did not perform like the HiFiBerry digital output board.

opt.jpg

The money spent was not wasted too much as I found a good compromise in using a Raspberry Pi Zero w/ the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro board. So now I can eliminate the larger Raspberry Pi and go with the lower footprint Raspberry Pi Zero. Both Raspberry Pis bring out the Chord magic with the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro board. I just need to figure out how to optimally case it as the digital board is larger than the Pi 0.

Lesson learned: Source makes a difference in my portable case. Even if similar optical digital boards. Both tested with the same Lifatec glass optical cable. Why spend $30 on a CCK cable when you can buy a optical digital board for $10 more? **Another $14 for a Pi 0. I'm so glad to be out of the USB circus. This setup (Pi 0 + HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro) helps achieve the Chord magic. I could not listen much to RBCD even with a premium USB cable or another optical digital board. Now most of my listening is RBCD.

Here is some marketing speak for the HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro board:

* The digital interface for the audio enthusiast. Features a low-noise power regulator and dual-domain clock generator.
* Clock generation: Dual low-jitter oscillators
* Galvanic Isolation: Yes

hfi.jpg

Not sure if having dual clocks help, but with this product it's the difference of being able to enjoy or not enjoy RBCD so makes it work for I. Definitely worth the effort to put together. YMMV.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #17,061 of 22,475
I got my CCK adapter today. I tried it with my Mojo first with Amazon music HD on the iPad, as I need a slightly longer usb cable for the H2.

The sample light on the Mojo is always Blue (192khz) even if a CD quality track is playing. In the Amazon app it tells me the track is playing at 16 bit / 44 kHz.

So does this mean IOS is upsampling the audio rather than sending the data at its native rate?

Will try with H2 to compare when I get a longer micro usb cable.
Maybe this is because the max sample rate of amazon content is 192, so the app is upsampling everything to 192.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #17,062 of 22,475
Maybe this is because the max sample rate of amazon content is 192, so the app is upsampling everything to 192.
It could also be that something else is doing it. For example, Mac OS doesn't automatically update the sampling rates. Some apps do this, but I've noticed that the amazon app just keeps it pegged at the values it's set at. I could manually change it in midi settings.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #17,063 of 22,475
Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 1:21 AM Post #17,066 of 22,475
Marketing is just playing 4D chess with you to prevent your acquisition of a competitor's product.

September...

You can always sell the hugo2 and buy a used sp1000 and the sp1000amp. Then you have more options for music sources.

Sep 28, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #17,068 of 22,475
The wait is almost over.... keep the faith!
Huh. I just got the 2019 Chord catalog from my dealer and noticed 2Go but it’s still not on the website. Am I behind the times and the catalog was old? Or was it just published and distributed to dealers? Can’t wait to see the final specs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back