Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 22, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #17,041 of 22,516
Have been talking about Hans Ziimmer music soundtracks over in the TT2 thread. Anyway, I have kept listening to The World of Hans Zimmer, on YouTube. Trying it out to decide if I want it. I kept thinking maybe not, because I'll most likely end up with most of the tracks on his albums anyway. It's a live album and a compilation album. (I have a few Hans Zimmer albums.) Bought it today, and love it. Hearty advice to people to try it out. Brilliant album.

This page has details about the CD. https://www.worldofhanszimmer.com/

I bought the 48KHz 24bit version on HDTracks. Had to edit the track numbers though for some reason. I edited them to match the order the tracks appear on that link, and on the CD listings anywhere.

There are some tracks on there that will show your Chord off something gorgeous. Listened to it once and honestly wow!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #17,042 of 22,516
I was on the go with my Hugo 2, and when I returned home it returned to its usual spot and was plugged into the the mains. The Hugo 2 started charging (white light, 2amp). But instead of continued charging, the Hugo went into auto shutdown, including the white light for charging going off. I restarted the Hugo twice, and the same happened -- auto shutdown after about 10mins.

I am puzzled -- what's going on?
Cheers!

That can happen if it's close to battery depletion, or at depletion. Then you need to turn it off, and recharge for half an hour or so before re-starting.

It might indicate that it's badly depleted, and in trickle charge mode too, so then you need to turn it off and charge it overnight - or until it's way passed the trickle charge mode. Trickle charge mode is when the battery voltage is at a level that does not allow full charge rate, and it can take an hour or two to get out of trickle charge mode.

Another possibility is the charger isn't supplying enough current...

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:33 AM Post #17,043 of 22,516

SP2000 > Hugo 2 > DHC Symbiote Silver > UE Live

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #17,044 of 22,516

Can you explain why you would buy an SP2000 to use as a transport. Wouldn't a used SP1000 give the same result? I too have done this at times but then feel like I have wasted my money and return to the great dac in the SP1000.

Sep 23, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #17,045 of 22,516
Can you explain why you would buy an SP2000 to use as a transport. Wouldn't a used SP1000 give the same result? I too have done this at times but then feel like I have wasted my money and return to the great dac in the SP1000.
Because I don't always get to use the Hugo 2, most of the time my on the go listening is just with the SP2000.
Sometimes, even from my Note 10+ with a Dragonfly Cobalt

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #17,046 of 22,516
I got my CCK adapter today. I tried it with my Mojo first with Amazon music HD on the iPad, as I need a slightly longer usb cable for the H2.

The sample light on the Mojo is always Blue (192khz) even if a CD quality track is playing. In the Amazon app it tells me the track is playing at 16 bit / 44 kHz.

So does this mean IOS is upsampling the audio rather than sending the data at its native rate?

Will try with H2 to compare when I get a longer micro usb cable.

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #17,047 of 22,516
I got my CCK adapter today. I tried it with my Mojo first with Amazon music HD on the iPad, as I need a slightly longer usb cable for the H2.

The sample light on the Mojo is always Blue (192khz) even if a CD quality track is playing. In the Amazon app it tells me the track is playing at 16 bit / 44 kHz.

So does this mean IOS is upsampling the audio rather than sending the data at its native rate?

I get the same on my mojo with a cck cable.

Sep 23, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #17,048 of 22,516
Amazon problem otherwise all streaming services would show 192.

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #17,049 of 22,516

If I were you then, I would find a file source with a replaceable battery. (Unless the SP2000 battery can be replaced.) I have a DAP, but the battery is not easily replaced. I will buy a cheaper file source that has a replaceable battery to run DACs.

Sep 23, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #17,051 of 22,516
That can happen if it's close to battery depletion, or at depletion. Then you need to turn it off, and recharge for half an hour or so before re-starting.

It might indicate that it's badly depleted, and in trickle charge mode too, so then you need to turn it off and charge it overnight - or until it's way passed the trickle charge mode. Trickle charge mode is when the battery voltage is at a level that does not allow full charge rate, and it can take an hour or two to get out of trickle charge mode.

Another possibility is the charger isn't supplying enough current...

Dear @Rob Watts, many thanks for your response -- much appreciared! This evening I have restarted the Hugo -- it had been plugged in since last night. And the same happened -- after 10 minutes the Hugo switched off, but this time this charging light was blue rather than white. When the Hugo went off, the charging light went off too. Total Hugo darkness... I restarted twice with the same result.

Does this indicate a faulty charger? Since the Hugo has been plugged in for nearly 24 hours, the Hugo's battery should be well charged by now. Apart from this, yesterday the battery's condition shouldn't have been too bad either. I used the Hugo for about 2 hours (from full charge) before plugging it in again. In less than one hour I will know whether the Hugo goes into desktop mode...

Sep 23, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #17,052 of 22,516

dragonfly owners have been reporting similar problems. It’s amazon’s fault

Sep 23, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #17,053 of 22,516
Dear @Rob Watts, many thanks for your response -- much appreciared! This evening I have restarted the Hugo -- it had been plugged in since last night. And the same happened -- after 10 minutes the Hugo switched off, but this time this charging light was blue rather than white. When the Hugo went off, the charging light went off too. Total Hugo darkness... I restarted twice with the same result.

Does this indicate a faulty charger? Since the Hugo has been plugged in for nearly 24 hours, the Hugo's battery should be well charged by now. Apart from this, yesterday the battery's condition shouldn't have been too bad either. I used the Hugo for about 2 hours (from full charge) before plugging it in again. In less than one hour I will know whether the Hugo goes into desktop mode...

Just to clarify, if you turn it on with the charger disconnected, the power button indicates blue (fully charged) then that indicates its possibly a battery fault, with the battery protection shutting down. You need to contact your dealer and get it serviced.

If on the other hand you are powering up with the charger connected, and it's cyan (light blue) then it's in half charge mode; so make sure that you use the supplied charger, and charge overnight with Hugo 2 turned off. If this is the case and it still doesn't work, try another charger (anything capable of 2A 5V is fine), and if that doesn't fix it then it's back to the dealer again. Being in half charge mode indicates a problem with the charger; or that Hugo 2 is drawing more than 2A.

Good luck Rob

Sep 24, 2019 at 12:56 AM Post #17,054 of 22,516
Sep 24, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #17,055 of 22,516
Just to clarify, if you turn it on with the charger disconnected, the power button indicates blue (fully charged) then that indicates its possibly a battery fault, with the battery protection shutting down. You need to contact your dealer and get it serviced.

If on the other hand you are powering up with the charger connected, and it's cyan (light blue) then it's in half charge mode; so make sure that you use the supplied charger, and charge overnight with Hugo 2 turned off. If this is the case and it still doesn't work, try another charger (anything capable of 2A 5V is fine), and if that doesn't fix it then it's back to the dealer again. Being in half charge mode indicates a problem with the charger; or that Hugo 2 is drawing more than 2A.

Good luck Rob

Many thanks again for your additional input @Rob Watts! I have just disconnected the Hugo. When powered up without connection, the battery light is blue. So the Hugo did charge up over night. When re-connecting the Hugo, it switches off again, but this morning the battery light went white (rather than than the earler all dark after switching off). Yesterday, after 24 hours, the Hugo did go into desktop mode. After 24 hours of connection, I restarted the Hugo -- and it showed the purple light. In desktop mode, the Hugo stayed on over night. But after disconnecting the Hugo this morning (for checking the battery light when powered on and disconnected [blue]), it went again off shortly after reconnection. Strangely enough, the Hugo switches off after 10 mins (rather than 15 mins). Also, I find it odd that the battery light is now white when charging (when on and off), whilst it was blue when charging yesterday. Though it only show blue when powered up, no light whatsoever after auto shut-down.

Does this all suggest a battery fault? I only use the Chord supplied power supply.

Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back