Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Sep 20, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #17,026 of 22,467
Depends largely on which iems or headphones you are referring to.
Even the mojo will exceed 100db for iems, using just a small fraction of its output power. There are spreadsheets on the mojo and probably the Hugo 2 thread listing the db for various volume settings. My hugo 2 will drive floor standing speakers, so 2 pairs of most headphones should not pose a problem. I realise that some hard to drive planars could be borderline.

Sep 20, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #17,027 of 22,467
@Rob Watts I know you are a busy man, producing the finest DACs on the planet, but care to weigh in? I hear the phrase "Hugo 2 will run ___ with power to spare" but what about 2 headphones, with power to spare?

I thought about that. If you were running IEMs then I would say yes enough power. I saw your list of headphones though, but I don't know them. No idea then. Someone will most likely tell you.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #17,028 of 22,467
Speaking of headphone ports, I have 2 burning questions

1. I am seeing 2 outs on the Hugo 2 -- a 3.5mm and 1/4inch. Do you know if you can jack in 2 different headphones and get the same sound quality compared to one headphone only? They would not be 2 of the same headphone. I am aware of the differences in sensitivity and impedance. I have Hifiman HE-400i, Audeze LCD-X, Senn HD-800s, Sony WH1000-XM3 (BT but can be used in wired mode)

2. Do you think there would be much sound degradation to use an in-line volume slider for the 3.5mm jack, presuming not a cheap-o Radio Shack product. To my knowledge, I have never seen a 1/4 inch in-line volume slider.

Thanks!

1. Probably yes.

2. Not much degradation I suspect.

Sep 20, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #17,029 of 22,467
Absolutely. If you don't need Hugo 2 portability, or Hugo 2 headphone port, then buy Qutest every day.

I imagine most folk on Head-Fi would opt for Hugo 2 for headphone port though. I think most Qutest users will be folk using a second DAC. Or folk using a headphone amp/intergrated amp with a DAC.

There is another difference between Qutest and Hugo 2. Rob Watts told me in the Hugo 2 thread, that the Qutest uses the Mojo output stage. Whereas Hugo 2 has its own. The reason being that the Hugo 2 output stage needed to have lower noise I think. Or it being more sensitive, as it runs much lower voltages with headphones and IEMs. Whether or not that would sway someone's decision to buy Hugo 2 over Qutest, I don't know.

I am sure it was in the Hugo 2 thread, so use the 'search this thread' function to try find Rob's post. If anyone wants to that is. If anyone wants to see Rob Watts' wording, since I may have remembered slightly off from what he said.

Yes Qutest was designed for feeding easy loads such as pre-amp inputs; hence the simple Class A Mojo output stage. The benefit that Hugo 2 has is the analogue noise shaper output, which is really two amplifiers in one - having this structure means that when the output stage goes into Class B (when you are driving low impedance loads) there is no increase in distortion at all - indeed it is completely crossover distortion free. The additional benefit with this approach is that high frequency distortion is eliminated too; this is because there is huge feedback available at high frequencies (conventional amps have poor feedback at HF and the increase in distortion is responsible for different amp topologies sounding different) - indeed for Hugo 2 the amp gain bandwidth product is 20 GHz - this means that 120 dB of feedback is available to correct for output stage distortion at 20 kHz.

@Rob Watts I know you are a busy man, producing the finest DACs on the planet, but care to weigh in? I hear the phrase "Hugo 2 will run ___ with power to spare" but what about 2 headphones, with power to spare?

It of course depends upon the impedance of the headphones, but 33 ohms would not represent any kind of problem. When designing Hugo 2's output amp, I wanted it to work with zero change in sound quality of measurements when adding an extra 33 ohm load - on the first Hugo you could indeed see more distortion, and hear it hardening up. With Hugo 2 and the analogue noise shaper approach I could see no significant change, and more importantly hear no change with the extra load added.

Happy listening, Rob

Sep 21, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #17,030 of 22,467
Yes Qutest was designed for feeding easy loads such as pre-amp inputs; hence the simple Class A Mojo output stage. The benefit that Hugo 2 has is the analogue noise shaper output, which is really two amplifiers in one - having this structure means that when the output stage goes into Class B (when you are driving low impedance loads) there is no increase in distortion at all - indeed it is completely crossover distortion free. The additional benefit with this approach is that high frequency distortion is eliminated too; this is because there is huge feedback available at high frequencies (conventional amps have poor feedback at HF and the increase in distortion is responsible for different amp topologies sounding different) - indeed for Hugo 2 the amp gain bandwidth product is 20 GHz - this means that 120 dB of feedback is available to correct for output stage distortion at 20 kHz.

It of course depends upon the impedance of the headphones, but 33 ohms would not represent any kind of problem. When designing Hugo 2's output amp, I wanted it to work with zero change in sound quality of measurements when adding an extra 33 ohm load - on the first Hugo you could indeed see more distortion, and hear it hardening up. With Hugo 2 and the analogue noise shaper approach I could see no significant change, and more importantly hear no change with the extra load added.

Happy listening, Rob

Not going to pretend I understand all of that!. Are you saying that primary headphone can be 300 ohm while the second one can be at most 33 ohm before audible differences in sound quality can be heard?

Sep 22, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #17,032 of 22,467
@Rob Watts. I am looking for a DAC only, (I have a hp amp) fed by iOS devices, iPod and perhaps iPhone. I am looking for a simple setup and easy interface, just set up and enjoy the sound.

Does this sound like I could use a CHORD Qutest?

My hp are Meze Empy's and some Ether 2.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 2:18 AM Post #17,033 of 22,467
The qutest needs an amplifier to amplify its line out signal. The mojo or hugo 2 are "dac and amp" in one and extremely easy plug and play devices. If you have an amp already do an evaluation to see if they can drive your cans.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 2:27 AM Post #17,034 of 22,467
Bit of a long shot, but has anyone tried streaming Amazon Music HD from an iPad to the Hugo2 ?

Should it be possible in theory ?

If it is for home use, then yes.

I am streaming from my iPad’s, iPhone’s, macbook Pro’s, NAS, ... (even from the Poly as I have a SD card in there) to my Samsung smart TV and then to the Chord Dave.

Sep 22, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #17,036 of 22,467
Then sell your amp and buy a hugo 2 for the best result IMHO. Your headphones deserve the best. If you can afford a TT2 even better. If you are totally happy with the quality of your hp amp then qutest is a no brainer for price/performance.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #17,038 of 22,467
Qutest and go....but remember to use SE output from amp as there is no point balanced as qutest is not set up to form a balanced chain.

Actually.....new GS-X mini is the first HeadAmp product to deliver balanced headphone drive from all audio sources, single-ended, or balanced.

So do anything you want.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #17,040 of 22,467
I was on the go with my Hugo 2, and when I returned home it returned to its usual spot and was plugged into the the mains. The Hugo 2 started charging (white light, 2amp). But instead of continued charging, the Hugo went into auto shutdown, including the white light for charging going off. I restarted the Hugo twice, and the same happened -- auto shutdown after about 10mins.

I am puzzled -- what's going on?
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back