Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 22, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #16,621 of 22,502
So I did as Rob suggested and got a tiny allen key and opened the H2 up. Firstly I tried to just open the side of the balls up enough to see if the on/off ball would re engage with a clicking motion (hooing it was just a piece of dust stuck in there somewhere) but it didn't so I decided to open the whole thing up. Interestingly when I did that I observed that the balls simply sit freely within the top and the bottom so they all moved all over the place. Pretty cool design though. so under each of the balls is a little round cone shaped piece of metal that when you press it it makes the clicking noise and presses on the pad below it to activate the function. The round cone shaped piece under the on/off ball was not there though. I do not know anything about electronics however I expect that each of these circular metal cone pieces is delicately welded onto the motherboard. So from wear, or whatever reason it had come off. I fortunately did locate the tiny little metal cone piece sitting randomly somewhere else on the motherboard though. I delicately picked it up and placed it over the pad for the on off button and pressed the top of it and the H2 turned on - She's ALIVE!!!.

So I did a very dodgy fix job by using sticky tape to put it in the correct place, placing the balls where they needed to go, and then screwing the top and bottom of the H2 up. It all works now (clicking noise and all). I expect that it could probably be solded back into place by someone with the appropriate tools and skills - but that is not me. Will be interesting to see how long the sticky tape solution lasts. My device is out of warranty hence the MacGyver in opening it up and trying to fix it with sticky tape. I am disappointed that a device of this price has experienced this issue from what I would call fairly typical and regular use over the course of two years or so. But I was happy I could revive some life back into it.

As a lucky owner of a DAVE and M Scaler I am still a huge Chord fan regardless.
Just came across this post and have to report that my hugo2 seems to be developing a similar problem. I cant hear that clicking sound anymore and it only turns on when I gently press the power button from one particular angle/side. Afraid it's going to die soon so I'm using the remote now. I think it's still under warranty, maybe a week more to go but I'd hate to be without it for however long it takes to fix it under warranty. Sad that such expensive equipment has this issue developing within an year of its purchase.

Jul 22, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #16,622 of 22,502
Just came across this post and have to report that my hugo2 seems to be developing a similar problem. I cant hear that clicking sound anymore and it only turns on when I gently press the power button from one particular angle/side. Afraid it's going to die soon so I'm using the remote now. I think it's still under warranty, maybe a week more to go but I'd hate to be without it for however long it takes to fix it under warranty. Sad that such expensive equipment has this issue developing within an year of its purchase.
Have you tried the solution proposed by Rob?
If you don't want to do that, then you can email support@chordelectronics.co.uk

Jul 22, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #16,623 of 22,502

Happened to my first Hugo 2 as well :/

Jul 24, 2019 at 4:29 AM Post #16,628 of 22,502
How did you solve the issue? I'm waiting for a clarification regarding the warranty period on the hugo 2 from the retailer. The chord website states 3 years in which case I should be good for another two years.

It wasn’t solved as such as I assumed at the time I was perhaps just being too much of a perfectionist. That H2 went back to the supplier anyway as it just didn’t sound right to me (clinical, cold, rather boring). A second unit I got sounded fantastic from the very first time I plugged it in. Go figure, as the saying goes.

Regarding the non clicking button on H2, I also had the same issue on a Mojo. But I just ignored it and enjoyed my time with it. In hindsight if I still had it I would have swapped it out for one where all the buttons click properly. These aren't cheap dacs afterall.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #16,632 of 22,502
How long a number of us have held out is quite the compliment to Hugo 2’s quality.
And the lessons Rob learned from Hugo1, in my mind, mean a longer-lasting product on the upgrade train. Still hoping for that eventual portable DAP-type solution with the 2go. Not pocket sized, but great sound.
If it's ever released, I could see people owning both the H2 for portable use, and the TT2 for desktop operation.

Jul 25, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #16,633 of 22,502
And the lessons Rob learned from Hugo1, in my mind, mean a longer-lasting product on the upgrade train. Still hoping for that eventual portable DAP-type solution with the 2go. Not pocket sized, but great sound.
If it's ever released, I could see people owning both the H2 for portable use, and the TT2 for desktop operation.
Remember the ERT interview in May, where Matt said that the additional functionality available via 2Go, will extend the lifespan of H2.
I presume that means that H3 could still be a couple of years away, at least.

Jul 25, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #16,634 of 22,502
Remember the ERT interview in May, where Matt said that the additional functionality available via 2Go, will extend the lifespan of H2.

Unless 2Go has been designed to attach to H2 and (if forthcoming) H3. I’d imagine this situation has already been thought through by Chord. H2 is a couple years old, 2Go of course hasn’t been released yet. We don’t know (yet) about whether H3 is being worked on or not. But 2Go would be stuck release wise between the two, so I’m assuming Chord would likely ensure it works with H3 too, unless they intend H2 to have a longer shelf life as a current product.

Jul 25, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #16,635 of 22,502
I must've missed that interview. May was when UELong was naughteh and was off the forums for a few weeks. Will have to look that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back