Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #15,588 of 22,475
audirivana and tidal

OK so in the Audio System settings within Audirvana check "Exclusive mode access":
upload_2019-3-2_15-48-1.png

It's probably already checked, just thought I'd suggest it... just in case!

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #15,589 of 22,475
OK so in the Audio System settings within Audirvana check "Exclusive mode access":

It's probably already checked, just thought I'd suggest it... just in case!

yeah its checked, but I am so surprised by this glitch and it seems the only fix is buying a thunderbolt 3 where then i can connect the usb cables, I thought maybe my current adapter is not good so i bought the audioquest usb c to a , but the issue is in reality a glitch with macbook pro 2018

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #15,590 of 22,475
yeah its checked, but I am so surprised by this glitch and it seems the only fix is buying a thunderbolt 3 where then i can connect the usb cables, I thought maybe my current adapter is not good so i bought the audioquest usb c to a for nothing, as the issue is in reality a glitch with macbook pro 2018

That's a real shame. Which hub are you looking at? I ask because the cable and/or power you use to connect that may very well have an impact on the sound too.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #15,591 of 22,475
Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #15,593 of 22,475
How does it sound?

soundwise its great, but when the glitch kicks in you hear it and the sound gets weird for a second and then back to sounding great

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #15,594 of 22,475
soundwise its great, but when the glitch kicks in you hear it and the sound gets weird for a second and then back to sounding great

That's really crap. I wonder if something like the Schiit Wyrd or Eitr work with the 2018 MBP without glitching? You could use those one of those as a workaround. The Wyrd would be most cost effective.

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #15,595 of 22,475
That's really crap. I wonder if something like the Schiit Wyrd or Eitr work with the 2018 MBP without glitching? You could use those one of those as a workaround. The Wyrd would be most cost effective.

i was thinking maybe the moon audio cable which is micro usb to usb c would solve this, but i do not know if it will

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #15,596 of 22,475
i was thinking maybe the moon audio cable which is micro usb to usb c would solve this, but i do not know if it will

No, the issue with the MBP is how it interacts with USB 2.0 audio devices so a cable is never going to fix that.

The Schiit Wyrd is aimed at doing the same thing as the Jitterbug, but it is active instead of passive. What that means is, unlike the Jitterbug, which simply passes through the signal, the Wyrd regenerates the USB signal. The important thing here is that from the Mac's point of view is that Wyrd is registered as its own device. Whereas with the Jitterbug or that hub the signal is simply being passed through so your Mac still recognises it as 'Chord Async USB' or what ever it's called, here the Mac would only see that you've connected the Wyrd.

My suggestion goes on the basis that the Wyrd may not suffer from these issues, therefore providing you with a glitch-free USB output.

Again, just an idea. The Wyrd is a USB 2.0 device so it's possible it too may suffer from the same issues. Note that there are other alternatives for this too, like the Uptone Regen. All probably use a different USB chip (which may not be affected).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #15,597 of 22,475
No, the issue with the MBP is how it interacts with USB 2.0 audio devices so a cable is never going to fix that.

The Schiit Wyrd is aimed at doing the same thing as the Jitterbug, but it is active instead of passive. What that means is, unlike the Jitterbug, which simply passes through the signal, the Wyrd regenerates the USB signal. The important thing here is that from the Mac's point of view is that Wyrd is registered as its own device. Whereas with the Jitterbug or that hub the signal is simply being passed through so your Mac still recognises it as 'Chord Async USB' or what ever it's called, here the Mac would only see that you've connected the Wyrd.

My suggestion goes on the basis that the Wyrd may not suffer from these issues, therefore providing you with a glitch-free USB output.

Again, just an idea. The Wyrd is a USB 2.0 device so it's possible it too may suffer from the same issues. Note that there are other alternatives for this too, like the Uptone Regen. All probably use a different USB chip (which may not be affected).

i used to have iso regen with my qutest same issue

it seems best thing to do sell the mac and just go back to windows laptops but that will take a while for me to sell. Its not very drastic but it exists. I just wonder how apple just screws up like this knowing how many sound engineers and audiophiles use mac

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #15,598 of 22,475
i used to have iso regen with my qutest same issue

it seems best thing to do sell the mac and just go back to windows laptops but that will take a while for me to sell. Its not very drastic but the it exists. I just wonder how apple just screw up like this knowing how many sound engineers and audiophiles use mac

I love my MacBook but now I don't have a Mojo or anything that's truly sofa-friendly I just use it for sofa browsing - nothing audio anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back