Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #15,511 of 22,475
Thanks for the info. What kind of wire is used for the Supra? Perhaps I should look them up for myself.
They are not the only UK distributors of Supra, it takes just a quick Google search to find them. Eventually I went with a Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 for the many raving reviews, but I am sure the Supra is 'superb' as well.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #15,513 of 22,475
I got myself the hugo2 yesterday, after I sold the chord qutest, and I think I am favoring the hugo2 to my qutest when both were fed into my ifi ican pro, the hugo2 sounds more enjoyable to me, and musical than the qutest, even when I tried the different filters on both, still the hugo2 sounds more pleasing to me when used as a dac into ifi ican pro

Maybe its new toy syndrome, but so far I am liking my ifi ican pro more with hugo2

Also few days ago I had the chance to audition the chord tt v2 by itself and then hooked it to my ifi ican pro, well to be honest listening to tt v2 using HD800 or using Beyerdynamic T1 v2 those 2 headphones needed the help of ifi ican pro. Yes my lcd mx4 and lcd4z sounded great out of tt v2 alone, but both as well benefited using ifi ican pro with the tt v2. It was not bout getting the headphones to sound loud, it was about the whole sound experience, so I decided against buying the tt v2 and just invested in hugo 2 as I have so many uses for it.

Of course the best combo was using the tt v2 fed into my ifi, but really I did not hear that much difference when using my ifi ican pro with chord hugo 2, and those differences are so so difficult to notice and I would fail in a blind test to know if the tt v2 or hugo2 was used as a dac into my ifi ican pro

Finally to me its not about transparency or the big audio terms that get used alot that I want to achieve, as so many records have been recorded awfully. The musicality and enjoyment factors are what I am after. For me hugo2 is detailed enough and sounds musical to me. I bet I would never like getting to the transparency level of a DAVE ,as I know that it will pinpoint every flaw in the record, and that is not for me. I know for others this is crucial but we are all not alike, so I respect and adore both opinions of what people seek to achieve
This is my main setup as well. The Hugo 2 as the DAC for my Pro iCan is about as enjoyable as it gets for me. The Pro iCan is transparent enough that I feel that I'm sacrificing very little when using the Hugo 2 as a DAC as when driving headphones straight out of the Hugo 2. The extra drive I get for headphones is very apparent with using the Pro iCan. Having a clean, transparent source like the Hugo 2 is an added bonus to my ears.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #15,514 of 22,475
My recommendation would be to buy an adaptor, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioquest-USB-A-C-Adaptor/dp/B01ND0BBN4 and then to buy a Supra cable, terminated in micro USB. I imagine any adaptor will do, just avoid a cable adaptor and go for the stub type like linked. Aim for the shortest possible path.

Supra isn't the only choice of cable of course, but as you'll see from my recent posts in this thread, I regard it very, very highly. And it's cheap (relatively!)

if i use this adapter can I still plug in the macbook power cable on the same side where i will plug this adapter using my macbook pro 2018

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #15,516 of 22,475
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but it won't interfere with the other USB-C port if that's what you're asking.
what i meant if i put for example that audioquest adapter on the right side, will I be able to hook the usb c cable that charge the macbook pro on the right side as well. I assume yes from your answer

On another note is it ok to keep the chord hugo2 always on hooked to the charger, will that affect the battery of it, I am not sure I am understanding chord hugo 2 manual about this

Feb 26, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #15,518 of 22,475
what i meant if i put for example that audioquest adapter on the right side, will I be able to hook the usb c cable that charge the macbook pro on the right side as well. I assume yes from your answer

On another note is it ok to keep the chord hugo2 always on hooked to the charger, will that affect the battery of it, I am not sure I am understanding chord hugo 2 manual about this

Yes, Hugo 2 has 'desktop mode' where it is recommended to leave it permanently turned on. See here Rob Watts' explanation:

The benefit of keeping it on is that it keeps the battery to about 80% charge, which is the voltage needed for maximum life. Because the charging current is set to be about the same as the current that Hugo 2 draws, then there is no (or very small) nett current into or out of the battery, so you are not losing out on the charge/discharge cycles life. Assuming that the battery is 10% nett charge from the charger, then that means that you would have a charge discharge life of 10 (1 over 10%) *1000 (no of charge discharge cycles for 50% capacity left) *8 (no of hours a discharge cycle is) which comes to 80,000 hours of operation - or about 10 years of being on permanently. But even with 50% capacity, Hugo 2 will still work perfectly well in standby mode, and will actually work with 0% battery capacity (or battery disconnected). Of course, this assumes the battery does not fail with an internal short!

The intent upon switching it off, is that the unit will be later used for mobile, so the charger is set to fully charge the batteries to 100%.

So, ideally you leave it always on.

I personally leave it on and just mute and dim the lights.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #15,519 of 22,475
@Scrum92 , thanks for sharing your impressions on the Supra. 2 quick questions on the cable.

1. Compared to the stock cable, does it have a smoother treble?

2. What’s the orientation of the micro usb plug? I once bought a AQ cinnamon and it was a pain to twist the cable to plug in the micro USB on the H2. I eventually sold the cable, as I was concerned that it was putting too much pressure on H2’s micro USB port.

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #15,520 of 22,475
@Scrum92 , thanks for sharing your impressions on the Supra. 2 quick questions on the cable.

1. Compared to the stock cable, does it have a smoother treble?

2. What’s the orientation of the micro usb plug? I once bought a AQ cinnamon and it was a pain to twist the cable to plug in the micro USB on the H2. I eventually sold the cable, as I was concerned that it was putting too much pressure on H2’s micro USB port.

1. I have never used the stock cable so pass, but I don't generally get into hyperbolic statements about cables. I will just say that in my experience the Supra presented a clean and clear sound, that was either better, or at least as good, as cables costing four times as much. I say "either better, or at least as good" because invariably there is bias with these impressions. I went in expecting it to be inferior and that most certainly was not the case but without conducting a more scientific experiment I cannot categorically say "it is better" only that it was, at the very least, as good. I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters further.

2. I imagine it varies from cable to cable as they won't all be the same out of the factory but the Supra is surprisingly quite flexible and light so I don't think you will have any issues there. I am personally also using a little desk cable tidy to help elevate it but I do not think that is at all necessary. I am confident a micro USB connector is strong and robust enough to support a cable that light.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #15,521 of 22,475
I'm not sure what you mean exactly but it won't interfere with the other USB-C port if that's what you're asking.
1. I have never used the stock cable so pass, but I don't generally get into hyperbolic statements about cables. I will just say that in my experience the Supra presented a clean and clear sound, that was either better, or at least as good, as cables costing four times as much. I say "either better, or at least as good" because invariably there is bias with these impressions. I went in expecting it to be inferior and that most certainly was not the case but without conducting a more scientific experiment I cannot categorically say "it is better" only that it was, at the very least, as good. I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters further.

2. I imagine it varies from cable to cable as they won't all be the same out of the factory but the Supra is surprisingly quite flexible and light so I don't think you will have any issues there. I am personally also using a little desk cable tidy to help elevate it but I do not think that is at all necessary. I am confident a micro USB connector is strong and robust enough to support a cable that light.

thanks for the recs, you really got us interested, any links from where to buy it from, that ships internationally, I saw some sites but i want to make sure I am buying the correct cable

I am just thinking what would be better buying the audioquest adapter and supra able or just buy the Moon audio mirco usd to usb c to use with my macbook pro

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #15,522 of 22,475
thanks for the recs, you really got us interested, any links from where to buy it from that ships internationally, I saw some sites but i want to make sure I am buying the correct cable

I am just thinking what would be better buying the audioquest adapter and supra able or just buy the Moon audio mirco usd to usb c

Haha. I feel like a Supra shill or something! To be clear, I've tried these cables with Mojo:

- AudioQuest Forest
- AudioQuest Carbon
- QED Reference
- Atlas Element

And with my Hugo 2 I have tried:

- AudioQuest Carbon
- Supra

My view is that of the bunch, the Supra and the QED are standout performers. The downfall of the QED is that it is so substantial and so inflexible it is inpractical for my setup, but perhaps not yours and is worthy of consideration IF your budget permits. I cannot say which is better, so I suppose that means the Supra is the one to go for since it is half the price. Having said that, the Supra is not a looker and the QED has something about it and I absolutely accept and believe that there is value in the looks! £40 versus £80 isn't huge and if for an extra £40 you get a product you think looks the business go for it if it makes you happy!

On the Moon question, I don't know, honestly. My personal opinion would be to save the money, get a Supra and be done with it. I don't want to talk down or outright dismiss other products, though, because I'm sure there are others who will disagree, and that's the fun of it all... as annoying it may seem to be on a constant search for "the one".

In terms of ordering internationally, try Amazon US or UK? It's readily available here in the UK. I bought from Divine Audio on eBay personally. I'm sure they could ship internationally if you ask.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #15,523 of 22,475
Haha. I feel like a Supra shill or something! To be clear, I've tried these cables with Mojo:

- AudioQuest Forest
- AudioQuest Carbon
- QED Reference
- Atlas Element

- AudioQuest Carbon
- Supra

My view is that of the bunch, the Supra and the QED are standout performers. The downfall of the QED is that it is so substantial and so inflexible it is inpractical for my setup, but perhaps not yours and is worthy of consideration IF your budget permits. I cannot say which is better, so I suppose that means the Supra is the one to go for since it is half the price. Having said that, the Supra is not a looker and the QED has something about it and I absolutely accept and believe that there is value in the looks! £40 versus £80 isn't huge and if for an extra £40 you get a product you think looks the business go for it if it makes you happy!

On the Moon question, I don't know, honestly. My personal opinion would be to save the money, get a Supra and be done with it. I don't want to talk down or outright dismiss other products, though, because I'm sure there are others who will disagree, and that's the fun of it all... as annoying it may seem to be on a constant search for "the one".

In terms of ordering internationally, try Amazon US or UK? It's readily available here in the UK. I bought from Divine Audio on eBay personally. I'm sure they could ship internationally if you ask.

any site link from where to buy that supra cable, and the exact cable to buy

Feb 26, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #15,524 of 22,475
any site link from where to buy that supra cable, and the exact cable to buy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Supra+micro+usb
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Supra-USB-Cable-A-Micro-B-1m/292027628349 - this seller also has the 2m and 3m variant I believe and looks like they ship worldwide.

eBay is where I got mine because I am impatient and wanted it next day, before lunch time :)

Specs: http://www.jenving.com/products/view/usb-2.0-a-micro-b-1001908548

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #15,525 of 22,475

- AudioQuest Forest
- AudioQuest Carbon
- QED Reference
- Atlas Element

- AudioQuest Carbon
- Supra

My view is that of the bunch, the Supra and the QED are standout performers. The downfall of the QED is that it is so substantial and so inflexible it is inpractical for my setup, but perhaps not yours and is worthy of consideration IF your budget permits. I cannot say which is better, so I suppose that means the Supra is the one to go for since it is half the price. Having said that, the Supra is not a looker and the QED has something about it and I absolutely accept and believe that there is value in the looks! £40 versus £80 isn't huge and for an extra £40 you get a product you think looks the business go for it if it makes you happy!

All these different USB cables do make a difference, but not that huge of a difference at all.
My Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 cable (£59/2m) is better than my previous QED Graphite Performance (£20/2m). Build quality is more convincing (lifetime warranty) and the sound is cleaner, clearer and tighter. It is not night and day difference but it is easily audible and I am happy with my extra £40 investment. Upgrading your DAC/amp/headphone will obviously bring a much bigger difference. I went for the Wireworld versus the Supra because of the raving reviews, the much better look and the isolated power conductor which supposed to improve signal purity. That said I am sure the Supra sounds very good too (within the realm of differences of USB cables). [2m Supra would have been £44.]
wrw-ultvio-usb_large_2.jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back