Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #15,496 of 22,475
I got myself the hugo2 yesterday, after I sold the chord qutest, and I think I am favoring the hugo2 to my qutest when both were fed into my ifi ican pro, the hugo2 sounds more enjoyable to me, and musical than the qutest, even when I tried the different filters on both, still the hugo2 sounds more pleasing to me when used as a dac into ifi ican pro

Maybe its new toy syndrome, but so far I am liking my ifi ican pro more with hugo2

Also few days ago I had the chance to audition the chord tt v2 by itself and then hooked it to my ifi ican pro, well to be honest listening to tt v2 using HD800 or using Beyerdynamic T1 v2 those 2 headphones needed the help of ifi ican pro. Yes my lcd mx4 and lcd4z sounded great out of tt v2 alone, but both as well benefited using ifi ican pro with the tt v2. It was not bout getting the headphones to sound loud, it was about the whole sound experience, so I decided against buying the tt v2 and just invested in hugo 2 as I have so many uses for it.

Of course the best combo was using the tt v2 fed into my ifi, but really I did not hear that much difference when using my ifi ican pro with chord hugo 2, and those differences are so so difficult to notice and I would fail in a blind test to know if the tt v2 or hugo2 was used as a dac into my ifi ican pro

Finally to me its not about transparency or the big audio terms that get used alot that I want to achieve, as so many records have been recorded awfully. The musicality and enjoyment factors are what I am after. For me hugo2 is detailed enough and sounds musical to me. I bet I would never like getting to the transparency level of a DAVE ,as I know that it will pinpoint every flaw in the record, and that is not for me. I know for others this is crucial but we are all not alike, so I respect and adore both opinions of what people seek to achieve

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #15,497 of 22,475
My recommendation would be to buy an adaptor, like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioquest-USB-A-C-Adaptor/dp/B01ND0BBN4 and then to buy a Supra cable, terminated in micro USB. I imagine any adaptor will do, just avoid a cable adaptor and go for the stub type like linked. Aim for the shortest possible path.

Supra isn't the only choice of cable of course, but as you'll see from my recent posts in this thread, I regard it very, very highly. And it's cheap (relatively!)
With a recommendation like that, who can resist?
However the Chord recommendation, which is also widely repeated by regular posters, is to not use plugs like that, because it is so easy to accidently knock the plug, and damage the DAC sockets.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:45 AM Post #15,498 of 22,475
I'm with Scrum92 regarding usb cables, i don't believe that the hyper expensive ones are likely to show significant improvement if any at all over a merely good cable but decided to throw a few £s at a supra and was shocked by the difference it made over the basic cable supplied with H2. Clarity, soundstage, & bass quality all noticeably better. I was surprised but after listening for an hour i went back to the original cable and it sounded horrible so I'm keeping the supra.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #15,499 of 22,475
Cables matter, just a question of preference and wallet room. Not that price either way is the thing, but don’t count out expensive cables as unappealing as that is.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #15,501 of 22,475
@MoonAudio Dragon works just fine

another member mentioned when he uses such type of cable with his mac he only hears it mono , so will the moon audio one work properly

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #15,502 of 22,475
I'm with Scrum92 regarding usb cables, i don't believe that the hyper expensive ones are likely to show significant improvement if any at all over a merely good cable but decided to throw a few £s at a supra and was shocked by the difference it made over the basic cable supplied with H2. Clarity, soundstage, & bass quality all noticeably better. I was surprised but after listening for an hour i went back to the original cable and it sounded horrible so I'm keeping the supra.
Is this Supra available on this side of the Atlantic? Or is it a special local Brit cable?

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #15,503 of 22,475
Is this Supra available on this side of the Atlantic? Or is it a special local Brit cable?

There's an eBay seller based in Seattle who is the USA authorized distributor although me may not stock everything. You might want to check that out:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #15,505 of 22,475
My Moon Audio SilverDragon worked very well. I just can't use it at this time, as I need a type B connector for my Regen. Is there such a creature as a female micro to male B adapter?

since u r not using it maybe u would consider selling me urs

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #15,506 of 22,475
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #15,507 of 22,475
Feb 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #15,509 of 22,475
Thanks for the info. What kind of wire is used for the Supra? Perhaps I should look them up for myself.

Not sure, it's nothing exotic. More importantly for a digital cable is that it's engineered to meet the 90 Ohm and other specs. They also state their USB cables can be even longer than the max. spec for USB digital audio.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #15,510 of 22,475
since u r not using it maybe u would consider selling me urs
I'd really like to keep and use it again. The cable I use right now, is one that I found on the floor of my room, and I have no idea where it came from. It happened to have the big type B plug. But, the SD is a really nice cable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back