Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #15,466 of 22,475
So a roon file goes from your computer to the dx3 to the TT and then the Senn but couldn't you also play a file stored on the DX3 to the TT to the Senn. If so.. would that sound better than the same file from roon served through the DX3. I do believe that the server plays a huge part in the sound quality do to isolation of usb ports and power supply quality. I just wondered if playing the file from the server rather than being served through the server made a difference.
No on all assertions. Lets review.
The iMac my ipad or my iPhone are remotes to my antipodes roon core server. Its all part of my network now. Its linux based runs roon core and all streaming apps. It has its own GUI. The internal hard rive ssd stores all files converted to flac or in its original hi res format or whatever. then it sends it to TT. There is a thread that ill link that started by me asking head fi is there a better way to get the bits to my DAC.? In the end yes virginia the antipodes server DX made all the difference and thats comparing it to lesser antipodes servers, roon core from the iMac versus from iTunes.
I literally was twitching for upgrades in dac, or HP or something, now, I'm done. end game. Literally a life changing event. I can't comment on zenith but I dunno, i think DX obviously provides something more.
Sorry for H2 i didn't plan verbosity but here is the link

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ant...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #15,467 of 22,475
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #15,468 of 22,475
Nice. I've ordered one as well. Should work nicely with both H2 and my Stax SRM-D10. For airplane rides, I'll probably even disconnect my Poly from my Mojo and use it to play offline hi-res Qobuz files from my iPhone.
please confirm that this works on H2 or H1 when you get them, ill order one as well, what will i do with this stupid cck?

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #15,469 of 22,475
please confirm that this works on H2 or H1 when you get them, ill order one as well, what will i do with this stupid cck?
Will report back once I've received it.

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #15,470 of 22,475
The iMac my ipad or my iPhone are remotes to my antipodes roon core server. Its all part of my network now. Its linux based runs roon core and all streaming apps. It has its own GUI. The internal hard rive ssd stores all files converted to flac or in its original hi res format or whatever. then it sends it to TT. There is a thread that ill link that started by me asking head fi is there a better way to get the bits to my DAC.? In the end yes virginia the antipodes server DX made all the difference and thats comparing it to lesser antipodes servers, roon core from the iMac versus from iTunes.
I literally was twitching for upgrades in dac, or HP or something, now, I'm done. end game. Literally a life changing event. I can't comment on zenith but I dunno, i think DX obviously provides something more.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ant...unofficial-guide-down-the-rabbit-hole.851997/

Can you describe what the Antipodes does to the sound compared to your previous sources? I know you say it's better but in what ways?

Feb 21, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #15,471 of 22,475
Can you describe what the Antipodes does to the sound compared to your previous sources? I know you say it's better but in what ways?
Go to my thread. every way. rich, deep, relaxed, pinpoint 3d accuracy with no edge or volume tricks.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #15,472 of 22,475

Didn’t understand the DX was the roon. Makes total sense.

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #15,474 of 22,475
For my money, the Supra is superior to the Carbon at more than 4 times cheaper. I am shocked, really shocked.

I went in with some expectation that it would in fact be inferior, but I was wrong. The opposite was true and the Supra was cleaner and clearer sounding. More transparent if you will.

Even if it's all just placebo and I wouldn't be able to discern a difference between the two blind (which I keep an open mind about being the case!) that just further emphasises the value the Supra is bringing here.

I feel like I've rediscovered my Hugo 2 and Clear setup.
Interesting to see this love to the Supra cable (£44) which has a very competitive price vs. other cables in the sub £200 category. Has anyone tried it against the Wireworld Ultraviolet (£56) or Starlight (£96)? I am planning to upgrade my QED performance graphite (£20). I am still kind of sceptical regarding the level of improvement USB cables might bring, but there are a lot of positive reviews out there so I though I might try something little bit better than my QED graphite. Chord Silver Plus (£60) looks interesting too. I am a bit lost. Should I try at all? If so, which way? Supra, Wireworld or Chord? Thanks. :)

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #15,475 of 22,475
Interesting to see this love to the Supra cable (£44) which has a very competitive price vs. other cables in the sub £200 category. Has anyone tried it against the Wireworld Ultraviolet (£56) or Starlight (£96)? I am planning to upgrade my QED performance graphite (£20). I am still kind of sceptical regarding the level of improvement USB cables might bring, but there are a lot of positive reviews out there so I though I might try something little bit better than my QED graphite. Chord Silver Plus (£60) looks interesting too. I am a bit lost. Should I try at all? If so, which way? Supra, Wireworld or Chord? Thanks. :)

I don't have any experience with the Wireworld products so cannot comment there. However, after trying various cables including that AQ Carbon, I think you should just go for the Supra, or maybe QED Reference, and be done with it. I know there may be some who will swear the three figure (or even four figure) USB cables bring benefit but my experience makes me sceptical.

Get a Supra and save yourself the money. That's just my view, though.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #15,476 of 22,475
Supra is a must as it is usb certified the others aren't. That's paramount.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #15,477 of 22,475
Recently bought parts for a new PC build, and had been without JRiver for almost a week. Just not got round to it, what with fix-its and fault finding, gaming and such.

Last night, middle of the early hours of the morning: finally installed JRiver. Ahhhh, Hugo 2, ... I forgot/missed you. … You baby.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #15,478 of 22,475
Recently bought parts for a new PC build, and had been without JRiver for almost a week. Just not got round to it, what with fix-its and fault finding, gaming and such.

Last night, middle of the early hours of the morning: finally installed JRiver. Ahhhh, Hugo 2, ... I forgot/missed you. … You baby.
DEATH TO JRIVER AND IT'S 'WE DON'T WANT BLIND CUSTOMERS' STAND.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #15,479 of 22,475
DEATH TO JRIVER AND IT'S 'WE DON'T WANT BLIND CUSTOMERS' STAND.

I just googled for that, and can't find anything. Maybe you could explain what you mean.

However you could say the same for Tidal and Jay-Z ownership and wearing of a Five Percent Nation medallion. Not like it stops Head-Fiers using Tidal and praising it though. (I won't use Tidal.) Or you could say Chord devices are potentially colour-blind people unfriendly. I say potentially because I assume colour blind folk can learn the colours, compared with the manual guide.

For me JRiver makes music playing easier and better than alternatives. I need simple to use bit-perfect use. Foobar is a nightmare, otherwise I would have used that, since it's free. I have upgraded my version of JRiver since being a Head-Fier, and using Chord products. Good job too because it has proved invaluable, in other areas rather than just music playback.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #15,480 of 22,475
I just googled for that, and can't find anything. However you could say the same for Tidal and Jay-Z ownership and wearing of a Five Percent Nation medallion. Not like it stops Head-Fiers using Tidal and praising it though. (I won't use Tidal.) Or you could say Chord devices are potentially colour-blind people unfriendly. I say potentially because I assume colour blind folk can learn the colours, compered with the manual guide.

For me JRiver makes music playing easier and better than alternatives. I need simple to use bit-perfect use. Foobar is a nightmare, otherwise I would have used that, since it's free. I have upgraded my version of JRiver since being a Head-Fier, and using Chord products. I Good job too because it has proved invaluable, in other areas rather than just music playback.
What's wrong with Foobar? I also refuse migrating to streaming. I prefer my FLAC albums.
I am red/green colour blind and have no problems with Chord DAC's colours btw. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back