Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 27, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #15,541 of 22,475
tried today two set ups

setup 1- cheap usb c to usb A adapter into the mac ( that was included in my samsung galaxy s8+ package )
then plugged in my wireworld ultrvialoet 7 usb cable, then fed that into a usb to optical converter ( from breeze audio ) from my macbook ( used wireworld ultraviolet 7 usb cable fed into the converter ) then to feed optically into chord hugo2

setup 2 : same cheap usb c to usb A adapter into the mac, then a cheap 3 usd micro usb cable to usb A, I liked this better than the setup 1 , as I felt the sound above in setup 1 just got flatter and lost bit dynamics than setup 2.

No way of trying straight opitcal to Hugo then? i hear those optical converters arent a good solution at all.

Feb 28, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #15,542 of 22,475
Is there an issue with the Hugo2 where the volume will randomly increase on its own? I’ve never had this problem before and haven’t used my Hugo2 in months and in the past few days of use, it’s happened a few times to me.

To be clear, when plugged into the USB CCK to my iPhone, the volume on the Hugo2 will randomly rise. The volume indicator light below the physical dial actually changes color (from yellow/green to blue) I’ve seen it happen at least 3 times in the past two days. Is this a new issue or issue with iPhone CCK? I’m using a 256GB Black iPhone XS Max.

Ideas?

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #15,544 of 22,475
Is there an issue with the Hugo2 where the volume will randomly increase on its own? I’ve never had this problem before and haven’t used my Hugo2 in months and in the past few days of use, it’s happened a few times to me.

To be clear, when plugged into the USB CCK to my iPhone, the volume on the Hugo2 will randomly rise. The volume indicator light below the physical dial actually changes color (from yellow/green to blue) I’ve seen it happen at least 3 times in the past two days. Is this a new issue or issue with iPhone CCK? I’m using a 256GB Black iPhone XS Max.

Ideas?
It might be some electric interference or grounding issue in your system. Although my CMA600i has analogue volume control vs Hugo2, I did have some similar experience with it. When I was charging my phone and left it in front of the amp (charging from the same extension lead) and I moved my hand above the phone to touch the 600i, the volume control started to move by itself. My hand must have acted like some sort of electric conductor between the two devices which confused the volume control. I still don't have a full explanation, but you might be experiencing something similar, so it is not necessarily Hugo2's fault.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #15,545 of 22,475
Desktop mode means plugged in 24/7 but not h2 powered on 24/7. The whole point of desktop mode is to preserve battery life by switching h2 and the charger off once fully charged. This is all automatic. There is no such thing as desktop mode and h2 being on 24/7 as this is a complete contradiction as h2 is designed to automatically switch off once fully charged and on switching on again you have a unit which is charged fully and suitable for disengagement from the charger and so can be used a mobile or transportable device if one wishes.

It is very different if one wishes to keep h2 powered on 24/7 but lets not confuse this with desktop mode. I can imagine new potential owners getting confused by this. "24/7 on in desktop mode does not exist". Think of desktop mode as h2 drawing its power from the charger not the battery sp preserving battery life. It also enables the user to quickly disengage the unit from the charger and have a fully charged h2 at any time on returning to the unit after it has fully charged and both h2 and the charger are switched off.

Desktop mode therefore promotes the best of both world '2 modes of operation' and that is the essence of desktop mode and what it is intended for i.e. operation from charger when static and readiness by being fully charged for mobile use. This point is comonly misunderstood.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #15,546 of 22,475
Desktop mode means plugged in 24/7 but not h2 powered on 24/7. The whole point of desktop mode is to preserve battery life by switching h2 and the charger off once fully charged. This is all automatic. There is no such thing as desktop mode and h2 being on 24/7 as this is a complete contradiction as h2 is designed to automatically switch off once fully charged and on switching on again you have a unit which is charged fully and suitable for disengagement from the charger and so can be used a mobile or transportable device if one wishes. It is very different if one wishes to keep h2 powered on 24/7 but lets not confuse this with desktop mode. I can imagine new potential owners getting confused by this. "24/7 on in desktop mode does not exist". Think of desktop mode as h2 drawing its power from the charger not the battery sp preserving battery life. It also enables the user to quickly disengage the unit from the charger and have a fully charged h2 at any time on returning to the unit after it has fully charged and both h2 and the charger are switched off. Desktop mode therefore promotes the best of both world '2 modes of operation' and that is the essence of desktop mode and what it is intended for. This point is comonly misunderstood.

Turning it off whilst in desktop mode loses some of the value of desktop mode operation. Please, read Rob Watts' posts on the matter in this thread. Leaving it permanently on is best for optimal battery life versus turning it off/on and permanently plugged in.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #15,547 of 22,475
A new Hugo2 owner just checking in. I'm using it so far with Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 over ears and AKG450 as a portable but will very soon be receiving some Massdrop Senn HD6xx and a pair of Grado SR325e which I'm looking forward to immensely. Last night I plugged in my Shure SE535 IEMs and was astonished how good they sounded. I'd never heard them sound this good before.

The Hugo2 is a massive upgrade on my old Fostex HP-P1 that died while charging a few weeks ago.

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #15,548 of 22,475
As long as you understand that by switching the charger off you leave desktop mode loosing all advantages of desktop mode operation. Rob designed h2 to be operated in desktop mode where h2 gets it power from the charger directly not the battery thus greatly increasing the battery life to more than 10 years.

Rob meant leaving it permanently plugged in 24/7 to enable desktop mode and always switched on. So 24/7 on and in desktop mode is what you need. This is where your misunderstanding lies.

You can leave it on 24/7 AND be in desktop mode if you wish it does not have to be one or the other. If you leave it on 24/7 but not in desktop mode as you intend you will seriously degrade the battery life as h2 is now powering itself from the battery and not the charger like in desktop mode. Please consult Rob i'm just trying to help you. To simplify yes by all means leave it on 24/7 if you wish but make the sure the magenta desktop charger light is always on and showing otherwise you are drawing power from the battery hence degrading their lifespan.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #15,549 of 22,475
A new Hugo2 owner just checking in. I'm using it so far with Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 over ears and AKG450 as a portable but will very soon be receiving some Massdrop Senn HD6xx and a pair of Grado SR325e which I'm looking forward to immensely. Last night I plugged in my Shure SE535 IEMs and was astonished how good they sounded. I'd never heard them sound this good before.

The Hugo2 is a massive upgrade on my old Fostex HP-P1 that died while charging a few weeks ago.
Congrats not only on Hugo2, but the 325Es. My first real quality HP was the 'i' version, which I resently passed on to my son. They got me through 4 years of dialysis and many hours of joy.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #15,550 of 22,475
Congrats not only on Hugo2, but the 325Es. My first real quality HP was the 'i' version, which I resently passed on to my son. They got me through 4 years of dialysis and many hours of joy.

Thanks. I’ve not tried Grado properly before, apart from one channel of some D.O.A. SR80’s which was enough to whet my appetite so I thought may as well get stuck in on some 325’s :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #15,551 of 22,475
I was really looking for Mojo/Poly as I was attracted by the idea of a neat and mobile Roon endpoint of the Poly but the Hugo2 was irresistible when one came up locally for a great price. I went for it when lurking on this thread I read about the possibility of the 2Go. Fingers crossed this drops soon.

In the meantime i’m using my iPhone X as an endpoint or a Chromecast Audio. The CCA works brilliantly for what it is

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #15,552 of 22,475
I was really looking for Mojo/Poly as I was attracted by the idea of a neat and mobile Roon endpoint of the Poly but the Hugo2 was irresistible when one came up locally for a great price. I went for it when lurking on this thread I read about the possibility of the 2Go. Fingers crossed this drops soon.

In the meantime i’m using my iPhone X as an endpoint or a Chromecast Audio. The CCA works brilliantly for what it is
Here's hoping for the 2go.

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #15,553 of 22,475
Desktop mode means plugged in 24/7 but not h2 powered on 24/7. The whole point of desktop mode is to preserve battery life by switching h2 and the charger off once fully charged. This is all automatic. There is no such thing as desktop mode and h2 being on 24/7 as this is a complete contradiction as h2 is designed to automatically switch off once fully charged and on switching on again you have a unit which is charged fully and suitable for disengagement from the charger and so can be used a mobile or transportable device if one wishes. It is very different if one wishes to keep h2 powered on 24/7 but lets not confuse this with desktop mode. I can imagine new potential owners getting confused by this. "24/7 on in desktop mode does not exist". Think of desktop mode as h2 drawing its power from the charger not the battery sp preserving battery life. It also enables the user to quickly disengage the unit from the charger and have a fully charged h2 at any time on returning to the unit after it has fully charged and both h2 and the charger are switched off. Desktop mode therefore promotes the best of both world '2 modes of operation' and that is the essence of desktop mode and what it is intended for i.e. operation from charger when static and readiness by being fully charged for mobile use. This point is comonly misunderstood.
Paragraphs man, paragraphs. come on, up your game, this is a text based activity.
I expect minimum standards of layout in future to be adhered too.

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #15,554 of 22,475
Paragraphs have been energised above:blue_book:

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #15,555 of 22,475
I guess a 2go would bring the whole battery conundrum to the fore again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back