Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #15,226 of 22,494
I want to ask, why this costs $2695 ? This is far above the performance/price ratio in my mind. It just doesn't make sense. And many people say sound is determined by 20% Source and 80% Headphone. With this money go buy something like Focal Utopia instead guys...

Get a used one. Make sure you have headphones capable of showing what the Hugo2 can do. Chord products keep their value, you can resell for close to what you paid. Here's a helluva deal,

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ondition-worldwide-shipping-for-cheap.896417/

I paid $1800 for mine used.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #15,227 of 22,494
Hi alx that is completely normal. Hugo 2 will start to charge when switched off after being in desktop mode when connected to the charger. It continues charging till it's full then switches off automatically. When you next switch hugo 2 on it will be desktop mode with a full battery so if you decide to go portable you will have a fully charged unit. Best of both worlds if you like.

Hi Ike i strongly recommend using the 2A charger that came with hugo 2 for ultimate peace of mind. It was either Rob or Chord if my memory serves me right who stated that intelligent chargers may not do the job correctly due to the reduced time taken to charge or something similar. You could probably get the proper explanation by doing a search of this thread.
Thank you for the answer. And yes I'm using default charger that comes in package

One more thing does anybody use Chord Clearway RCA with hugo 2 ?
I want to ask if the RCA connector will fit in hugo "hole"

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #15,228 of 22,494
I'm very soon due to be receiving my Hugo 2. When I received the Mojo I read that it is best practice to fully charge it before use. Does the same apply with the Hugo 2, or am I good to go from the off? I intend to use this almost exclusively as a desktop DAC and amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #15,229 of 22,494
I'm very soon due to be receiving my Hugo 2. When I received the Mojo I'm now receiving I read that it is best practice to fully charge it before use. Does the same apply with the Hugo 2, or am I good to go from the off? I intend to use this almost exclusively as a desktop DAC and amplifier.
Yes. Fully charging it is the first thing you should do. Some users found that listening during initial charge, generates excessive heat.

Jan 31, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #15,230 of 22,494
Yes. Fully charging it is the first thing you should do. Some users found that listening during initial charge, generates excessive heat.

Great, thank you for your advice!

I previously had Schiit Asgard 2 + Modi Multibit as my desktop setup but actually found the Chord Mojo to be much superior, save for the inconvenience of charging it every other evening. What attracts me to the Hugo 2 is that is no longer a requirement.

Do most here use the Hugo 2 as a static device? For me it'll be an all-in-one DAC and amplifier.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #15,231 of 22,494
Great, thank you for your advice!

I previously had Schiit Asgard 2 + Modi Multibit as my desktop setup but actually found the Chord Mojo to be much superior, save for the inconvenience of charging it every other evening. What attracts me to the Hugo 2 is that is no longer a requirement.

Do most here use the Hugo 2 as a static device? For me it'll be an all-in-one DAC and amplifier.
That's how I use it. If the2go comes out, I plan on using it more as a mobile device. Right now, it's hooked up to my computer.

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #15,232 of 22,494
The only thing that bugs me about hugo, or apple, is that cck will fail and the device won't recognize hugo. I can see why a player or all in one solution appeals to some. Granted love the hugo sound.

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #15,233 of 22,494
Does Hugo 2 exhibit the same behaviour as Mojo when playing music through DirectSound in Windows with pops, clicks etc? It would be nice if it did play ball with DirectSound though it has never been a big deal for me personally.

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #15,235 of 22,494
As I intend to use Hugo 2 as a static, desktop DAC and amplifier I'm a bit unsure how best to do this. Should I leave it permanently powered on, or turn it off and let it top itself up? I would rather turn it off but I don't want to cut the batteries life short and have to replace it in two years (or something like that) but the idea of leaving it permanently on means higher electricity bills AND annoyingly bright lights in the lounge.

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #15,236 of 22,494
Had mine 4 years and counting. Leave it plugged in and ok to turn it off or not.

Jan 31, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #15,238 of 22,494
It hasn’t but Hugo has. I’m a grand dad of the original Hugo and tt at launch

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #15,240 of 22,494
-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back