Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 27, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #15,211 of 22,467
I remember reading the price chord determines is actually set by some type of algorithm which takes into account manufacturing costs, previous model prices and types etc etc. These variables i mention maybe wrong but i definitely remember reading that prices are not decided on a whim but rather very accurately set taking into account parts costs and a predetermined profit margin percentage. Something similar to this. It makes more sense now i think.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #15,212 of 22,467
I remember reading the price chord determines is actually set by some type of algorithm which takes into account manufacturing costs, previous model prices and types etc etc. These variables i mention maybe wrong but i definitely remember reading that prices are not decided on a whim but rather very accurately set taking into account parts costs and a predetermined profit margin percentage. Something similar to this. It makes more sense now i think.
If you are interested, search for posts by @Mojo ideas .

In simple terms, JF says that Chord use an 'absorption costing model', ie the final price = price of input components * a factor (F1).
F1 will be based on the experience gained with previous products (ie if the price of input components = £x, then F1 = y, enables Chord to cover all their costs).
This type of cost model is simple to use when developing products, because Chord can decide what final price is appropriate for their target market, and knowing F1, it is easy to define the maximum price of input components for a particular design concept.
The challenge for the design engineer, then becomes how to satisfy the performance requirements, whilst also complying with the maximum price of input components.

@musickid if you want to understand F1 in more depth, then PM me. I don't want to take this thread OT.
:slight_smile:

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:52 PM Post #15,213 of 22,467
Thanks for the explanation here Mike.

Jan 27, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #15,214 of 22,467
#
[problem solved]
For further reference: it was my fault, not Hugo's problem. Two out of my three USB power cables went south abouot the same time. One has a short circuit, and the other one (a new piece) didn't pass current sufficient for Hugo. Both cases result in symptoms as described in cited quote.
Glad to hear you've straightened it out. Good news.

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #15,215 of 22,467
Beware of intelligent quick charge tech. Doesn't play too well with hugo2.

Could you elaborate on why? Any suggestions on a different unit to buy to power H2?

I thoroughly enjoyed the ALO CDM paired with Hugo2, all the resolution of H2 with some added warmth and weight down low.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #15,216 of 22,467
Hello, maybe someone could help me with my problem.
I have Chord hugo 2 connected directly to my power amplifier. Hugo is doing work as dac and preamplifier.
I love the connection, but there is one question.
Is something wrong with my unit ? I have it in desktop mode (pink/purple led)
But when I power off the hugo with remote, the device is going to charge mode (white led for like hour ? maybe more, not sure)
Should't it be just off (no led glowing) ? Is something broken or that's a normal state ?

Jan 29, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #15,217 of 22,467
Hi alx that is completely normal. Hugo 2 will start to charge when switched off after being in desktop mode when connected to the charger. It continues charging till it's full then switches off automatically. When you next switch hugo 2 on it will be desktop mode with a full battery so if you decide to go portable you will have a fully charged unit. Best of both worlds if you like.

Hi Ike i strongly recommend using the 2A charger that came with hugo 2 for ultimate peace of mind. It was either Rob or Chord if my memory serves me right who stated that intelligent chargers may not do the job correctly due to the reduced time taken to charge or something similar. You could probably get the proper explanation by doing a search of this thread.

Jan 30, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #15,218 of 22,467
If I wasn't PO'ed before, I certainly am now. After a morning of fruitless attempts to access various websites with visual security capcha restrictions, I attempted to submit a question to Chord about an apparent bug in their driver, causing FB2K to cut short any DSD file I play, due to the timer racing through the track at breakneck speed. It's got to be the Chord driver, as it moves at normal time when FB2k is focused on my internal SB card, which unfortunately, can't play DSD format. Chord's page jokingly tells you to fill in the following form, only not to provide said form.
It's a wonder I don't lose my vaunted patience more often. I'm home alone, so just had to tell someone how ridiculous the world is this morning.

What you are experiencing is a bug on FB2K components. I have experienced this and ditched FB2k 6 months ago. I'll try to remember the issue but I think it's a asio or kernel streaming thing that doesn't play well with the SACD plugin. There is no solution to this.

I think part of the 'bug' also is if you enabled EQ coz DSD can't use EQ in a general sense so the playback craps out. Try turning off EQ

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 6:16 AM Post #15,219 of 22,467
I want to ask, why this costs $2695 ? This is far above the performance/price ratio in my mind. It just doesn't make sense. And many people say sound is determined by 20% Source and 80% Headphone. With this money go buy something like Focal Utopia instead guys...

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #15,221 of 22,467
I want to ask, why this costs $2695 ? This is far above the performance/price ratio in my mind. It just doesn't make sense. And many people say sound is determined by 20% Source and 80% Headphone. With this money go buy something like Focal Utopia instead guys...

Everything is relative. Compared to some high-end boutique brands, that offer very expensive DACs that can’t measure or perform half as well as Hugo 2, it could be considered a bargain. Mojo probably has the greatest performance to cost ratio I have ever seen in hifi, with the Hugo’s coming in not far behind.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #15,222 of 22,467
Everything is relative. Compared to some high-end boutique brands, that offer very expensive DACs that can’t measure or perform half as well as Hugo 2, it could be considered a bargain. Mojo probably has the greatest performance to cost ratio I have ever seen in hifi, with the Hugo’s coming in not far behind.

100% agree with both Mojo and Hugo2.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #15,223 of 22,467

Or you could have both and still have not spent half of what some in our hobby have. Why spend money on anything you don't need? You decided you wanted and could afford it. The end.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #15,224 of 22,467
What you are experiencing is a bug on FB2K components. I have experienced this and ditched FB2k 6 months ago. I'll try to remember the issue but I think it's a asio or kernel streaming thing that doesn't play well with the SACD plugin. There is no solution to this.

I think part of the 'bug' also is if you enabled EQ coz DSD can't use EQ in a general sense so the playback craps out. Try turning off EQ
Unfortunately, FB is so far, the only player I can use, as it works with my screenreader. I tried Audirvana for Windows, but it only works on W10, it would seem. JRiver's owner will not make his player equally accessable, and HQ doesn't install. I leave EQ off unless I use my Xs. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

Jan 30, 2019 at 8:43 AM Post #15,225 of 22,467
Unfortunately, FB is so far, the only player I can use, as it works with my screenreader. I tried Audirvana for Windows, but it only works on W10, it would seem. JRiver's owner will not make his player equally accessable, and HQ doesn't install. I leave EQ off unless I use my Xs. If you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate them.

Short of it is the DSD implementation isn't that great on fb2k. WASAPI may give you a more stable playback but with lower SQ. You can try it to isolate the issue. As I recall, turning off EQ fixed my DSD issues but then I really needed the EQ to do a correction on my LCD2C so a weird fix was me converting WAV to DSD on the fly so I can still use the EQ. Yea I don't really have true DSD files, I was upconverting FLAC to DSF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back