CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Feb 22, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #25,561 of 25,845
I don't know if this thread is appropriate for Cable. If it doesn't work I will delete it
"Tara Labs The 0.8 Onboard xlr Interconnect"

The sound density is extremely high, full and watery, and has a great sense of weight.
The lines of the instrument are significantly strengthened, and the high frequencies are refined and rounded.
Rich vocals, sincere emotions, very real
Although it is a copper wire, it is not dull at all and the background is extremely black.

It is not at the same level as the 1.TWL spirit II RCA and 2.Cardas clear reflection xlr that I have used before (of course the price is also very different)
The signal line characteristics of Taralabs are particularly well matched with Chord Dave, which can complement the weight and thickness.
I highly recommend giving it a try

1708074082619.png
yes cables matter!Nordost Valhalla IC/Evolution Acoustics power cord with mine.I also use the DAVE in DAC mode into Airtight ATM 300b amp

Feb 22, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #25,562 of 25,845
yes cables matter!Nordost Valhalla IC/Evolution Acoustics power cord with mine.I also use the DAVE in DAC mode into Airtight ATM 300b amp
Hmmm. The input sensitivity of the airtight is listed as 290mV. I’m surprised the 3V RCA from DAVE is not clipping the airtight. Have you tried switching DAVE to preamp mode at -7dB to put out 2V or even -13dB to put out 1V and see if it sounds better? It’s possible that airtight just doesn’t clip even if you feed a high voltage source I guess.
I hate the fact that many manufacturers quote preamplifiers input sensitivity in mV and their CD players output voltage in volts so I’m never sure what output voltage matches what preamp.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 5:20 AM Post #25,564 of 25,845
First hour with a DAVE coming from a TT2.

*drools over self and everything*

Can I just say thank you to everyone who's ever gushed about this thing on here. They all contributed to me getting this and hearing all this. Updating my signature was extremely pleasant :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #25,568 of 25,845
First hour with a DAVE coming from a TT2.

*drools over self and everything*

Can I just say thank you to everyone who's ever gushed about this thing on here. They all contributed to me getting this and hearing all this. Updating my signature was extremely pleasant :)
What are the main differences you hear?
You don’t find it thinner and more sterile sounding compared to TT2?

I have read that people find the TT2 to sound fuller and more forgiving.
I own the Mscaler and TT2 myself and am curious. I use it with speakers though.

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #25,569 of 25,845
What are the main differences you hear?
You don’t find it thinner and more sterile sounding compared to TT2?

I have read that people find the TT2 to sound fuller and more forgiving.
I own the Mscaler and TT2 myself and am curious. I use it with speakers though.
I could easily get lost in a word salad over the improvements. The simplest way I can think of is to say that basically everything – across the board – is lifted and bettered on DAVE. Clarity, separation (by god!), dynamics...the bass is so clear and thick and punchy. Instruments like piano sing, vocals take you inside the vocal booth during recording...I could go on.

I don't hear a drop of this thinness that many have mentioned. Within seconds of the first track I listened to (Airbag by Radiohead, my favourite album, and I know every track inside out and sideways) I knew it was a completely different experience.

For context, I would liken it to going from a well-mastered Bluray to a 4K UHD. That's reductive, but I don't have the language to describe what I'm hearing.

To put it even simpler: music sounds richer, more dynamic and beautiful. And the crossfeed function is an another level compared to TT2. Max crossfeed on a busy orchestral suite is *chef's kiss*.

I listen purely on headphones, btw.

I want to try a Holo May at some point, and like it, I feel like everyone should get a chance to at least experience DAVE, even if you decide it's not for you. It's one of those pools you really have to jump in to at some stage, just so you can finally know.

For further context, music made me cry today. It hasn't done that for a long while. Make of that what you will :)

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #25,570 of 25,845
geez, dont you know ASR crowd says all DAC's sound the same...no reason to spend more than 200 bucks lol

Feb 27, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #25,571 of 25,845
geez, dont you know ASR crowd says all DAC's sound the same...no reason to spend more than 200 bucks lol
Yep, I'm happy to leave them listening to their Topping A90s and HD650s never knowing what they're missing because it couldn't be measured.

What I've heard today, I don't care about whether it can be measured or not :) Their loss.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:33 PM Post #25,575 of 25,845
Hahahahahahahhaa, love it. The ASR crowd is going to go wild when they hear that the new "Quartet" M Scaler will have a 4 Million tap interpolation filter, 😂 😂 😂 😂
bottom line is the ASR site exists to essentially mock anyone who pays more than 200 dollars for anything...they do not listen to the product they simply publish measurements...to me it is not a serious site but there are lots of people who cannot afford TOTL equipment who feel good after reading the reviews there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back