CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Dec 28, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #25,292 of 25,869
Has anyone here from the UK purchased omega speakers from the US and knows whether or not the listed price includes all taxes. Im looking at the super alnico high output monitors listed at around £2850 GBP. These are the top of the range monitors from omega and are easily powered by dave or tt2 direct. Or are they stocked by a UK supplier im slightly confused. Its the holiday season and i want to order these from their website and doubt anyone will be there now in the US if i phone omegas main number. Uber excited...

I might go ahead later today and pull the trigger on these to go with my mscaler//tt2 and JL d110 powered sub. 97dB efficiency speakers direct from tt2. Any last minute guidance from omega speaker owners appreciated. I know many dave owners have had excellent results with dave direct into omegas.

https://omegaloudspeakers.com/colle...lnico-high-output-monitor?variant=32172424908

1703775082338.png
I would like to hear those on the TT2 too 😎

Dec 28, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #25,293 of 25,869
In the US, posted prices do not include taxes.
If you order from a UK supplier, then by law the quoted price must include all applicable taxes.

If you order from the USA (or wherever) then the UK Customs & Excise will have their wicked way with you, and it very likely will be ugly.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #25,294 of 25,869
As these are a once in a 10 year purchase ive gone ahead and purchased the super alnico's as pictured and described above. Im putting my kef ls50 meta and aperta stands up for sale for UK buyers. Please pm if interested.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #25,296 of 25,869
After reading virtually every review from dave owners going direct to omegas and wanting to swap my kefs for a high sensitivity design to go direct from my mscaler//tt2 then yes. It would be impossible to audition them in the UK as there are no dealers here AFAIK. However it was the following quote by ray dude which finally clinched the deal for me...bearing in mind too that the klipsch heresy 4 horn design which is also very efficient seems to lean towards rock and acoustic live type music but i listen to a very wide genre of music so was i hesitant there. Here is ray's quote:

Bottom line for me: if you're a junkie for transparency and spatial imaging/coherence, the Omega's (~$2k) + TT2 (~$7k) + an ultra fast bass unit like the Voxativ Z bass unit (~@2.5k) is the finest listening experience <$50k that I have heard, and goes next level still when you add a Hugo mScaler.

My JL D110 Dominion powered subwoofer is fast and responsive too. Ray was referring to the super alnico monitors and i've gone a step up from that to the top of the range super alnico high output monitor.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #25,299 of 25,869
Is it worth it to get a Moon Audio Silver Dragon set of double BNC cables for my DAVE? (Or is there is another brand of BNC cables which is not super-expensive or exotic?) I'm still using the stock cables (almost 7 years on now).
edit: To clarify, yes, with MScaler.
Thanks.
You asked for BNC cables to link DAVE and MScaler (which are not too expensive). Well I'm in the UK and Chord owners here all swear by Wave High Fidelity cables. They are made by Nick Bacon, who can be contacted via the website. Unfortunately they are expensive, but I thought I's let you know just in case you weren't aware of them

Dec 29, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #25,300 of 25,869
You asked for BNC cables to link DAVE and MScaler (which are not too expensive). Well I'm in the UK and Chord owners here all swear by Wave High Fidelity cables. They are made by Nick Bacon, who can be contacted via the website. Unfortunately they are expensive, but I thought I's let you know just in case you weren't aware of them
He has said cables that are not to expensive. My advice if he was to go the Ferrite Core on BNC cables is to make his own.
I have put most of the information on this forum in the past as to what's needed at not much cost

Jan 4, 2024 at 5:13 AM Post #25,301 of 25,869
Rockin' out on powerful drumwork on this album.🤘 boy havin trouble to keep my head still

Screenshot_20240104-110543_foobar2000 controller PRO.jpg

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:11 PM Post #25,302 of 25,869
Thanks for the reply, Adrian. I could ask my sister in the UK if she could help me out with this, I guess. So she would make an account in her name, then I transfer money to her. I guess that could work if she's up for it.
It's so frustrating not to have Qobuz. Qobuz has a lot of Greek artists - whole libraries of Greek labels, and yet people in Greece can't access it.
A work-around that might work with a VPN setup: buy Qobuz gift cards. They might work for your own account., rather than having to share an account with someone else. e.g. buy a 3 month gift card to find out whether this work-around works with your VPN setup.

The only bug that is still there is crossfeed not deactivating when unplugging headphones. I also have seen a Dave getting instant lock to Dbnc while mine takes a few seconds, don’t know if there was a change regarding this.
This is not a bug if you are using an external headphone amplifier. The user interface is problematic though!

Would be nice to see Chord explore firmware updates for its DACs and M Scalers should Rob Watts identify improvements or new features. Given the global economy and interest rates, I‘m sure most DAVE owners would be more likely to pay a modest amount for a compelling firmware upgrade than spend thousands on new hardware. The DAVE platform still has plenty of life in it and room for new ideas. Firmware updates are a win-win for both Chord and retaining customers.
The only meaningful firmware update a DAVE could have ever had, in my opinion, would be to re-program the FPGA when DAVE detects a dual-BNC (i.e. M Scaler) source. In this situation the FPGA could be programmed to, for example, improve the WTA 2 stage. I think Rob agreed that this would have been a good feature, when this topic came up, years ago I think it was.

Well it's not going to happen. Maybe Ultima DAC will do this, if Ultima DAC does not have a built-in Super Scaler. Why Ultima DAC doesn't have a built-in Super Scaler will be an argument that rages for years, I expect, though. A separate power supply chassis, which the Ultima DAC is planned to have, is the right place to put the Super Scaler FPGAs.

For all of my gear, resale value is extremely important to me whether I'm currently intending to sale or not, as the likelihood is that someday I will.
When DAVE 2 appears DAVE's re-sale value will be basically zero. Could happen sooner, of course. Life's too short to spoil the enjoyment of music with worries about gear re-sale value. It's bad enough to spend years trying to learn the art of good hi-fi system setup.

My thinking on this issue has evolved over time
[...]
rather than accurate reproduction of live sound or what’s on the recording.
I concur strongly with what you posted.

I discovered recently a philosophy regarding engagement with people's preferences, from the What's Best Forum. The starting point is that there are basically four types of "audiophile" goals:
  1. recreation of the musical event
  2. transparency and minimal loss in reproduction: warts and all as it were
  3. tuned to make music sound good
  4. making the music sound like it's being played live
Once these categories are understood, people can agree or agree to disagree and have fun. Hopefully I've not misrepresented these.

You're allowed to have more than one category, but they're different enough that each person will have one category as their starting point. I'm a 1 who hopes that 2 magically transpires at least to a small degree. I think it's fair to say there's a lot of 4s and then there are 4s who want 3 too. 1 is arguably problematic because it involves the concept of surround sound, for example, if orchestral music is your thing.

Honestly, I wish I'd seen this philosophy a long time ago. I don't think it's divisive, I think it is a simple-enough way of looking at things so people can accept preferences are natural.

Now playing: Katy Kirby - Portals

Jan 5, 2024 at 3:48 AM Post #25,303 of 25,869
I discovered recently a philosophy regarding engagement with people's preferences, from the What's Best Forum. The starting point is that there are basically four types of "audiophile" goals:
Once these categories are understood, people can agree or agree to disagree and have fun. Hopefully I've not misrepresented these.

You're allowed to have more than one category, but they're different enough that each person will have one category as their starting point. I'm a 1 who hopes that 2 magically transpires at least to a small degree. I think it's fair to say there's a lot of 4s and then there are 4s who want 3 too. 1 is arguably problematic because it involves the concept of surround sound, for example, if orchestral music is your thing.

Honestly, I wish I'd seen this philosophy a long time ago. I don't think it's divisive, I think it is a simple-enough way of looking at things so people can accept preferences are natural.

Now playing: Katy Kirby - Portals

I hadn’t seen that before. An interesting perspective for sure.
I’m a 2 with hopes of it leading to 4

Jan 5, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #25,304 of 25,869
What is the difference between 1 and 4? I suggest to blend them together, then I think it makes sense.

Jan 5, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #25,305 of 25,869
What is the difference between 1 and 4? I suggest to blend them together, then I think it makes sense.
I interpret 4 to mean that albums that aren't recorded at a "concert" have a "live" feel to them, sort of regardless of how much studio processing was performed.

Naturally, some albums are recorded live in a studio, all the musicians playing together simultaneously. So then you might say that people who want 4 tend to want all studio albums to have that kind of sound and feeling.

Part of the trick here, I feel, is that people who have a preference also have a way of defining why. So, erm, people who don't want 4 aren't necessarily very good at defining it. But at least those people can tell that it's not their thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back