CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Mar 13, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #24,242 of 25,920
I finally had a chance to listen to the Holo May DAC, are these people serious? This is what they were hyping to be the best thing since sliced bread? The Qutest without M Scaler smokes this thing, forget the DAVE or the M DAVE, I can go on all day how Rob Watts DACs are so much better, this thing can't even retrieve the details, not for me thanks.
PXL_20230311_211448491.jpg
I owned Holo May for a year, until I compared Holo May with Dave

Mar 13, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #24,243 of 25,920
I owned Holo May for a year, until I compared Holo May with Dave
If you want very soft sound I guess it sounds nice, to me the DAC was too soft and lacked detail, the stage really wasn't deep and it was very boring to my ears, no impact and no transient attack, it is not for me. Bass was also loose, I'm not impressed.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #24,244 of 25,920
Hi guys, great to see this thread is still alive and kicking. I have had my Dave since November 2015. Everything in my system has been replaced or added since then but Dave continues to sound exemplary. I know of no other piece of electronics that can hack it with the best a sector has to offer, more than 7 years after launch. Try doing that with a digital camera! What an achievement this product was for Rob and Chord Electronics. Kudos.
Ciao, in the winter of 2021-22 while I was dreaming of having a Dave I read the first posts and I followed your experience and your sensations from the first listenings with great interest and healthy envy. You were one of the first to receive it, if I remember correctly.
In May 2022 I was finally able to have it, thanks to the precious help of the importer for Italy at the time. I don't know where this hobby will take me, but my silver Dave will stay with me.

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #24,245 of 25,920
I wonder, would any of you guys wish to make an educated guess as to the likely launch times for Choral M Scaler, Ultima DAC and Rob's Digital amps? .....assuming they do eventually make it to market, of course. I would likely be an immediate buyer of at least 2 of the 3 products. (The Ultima DAC may be a step too far for me, depending upon price.)

Mar 13, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #24,246 of 25,920
I wonder, would any of you guys wish to make an educated guess as to the likely launch times for Choral M Scaler, Ultima DAC and Rob's Digital amps? .....assuming they do eventually make it to market, of course. I would likely be an immediate buyer of at least 2 of the 3 products. (The Ultima DAC may be a step too far for me, depending upon price.)
After chatting with Rob I guess we will see the Choral M Scaler first, the Ultima DAC is still in prototype stage and will take more time.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #24,247 of 25,920

reading between the lines my best guess is that all 3 are still some way off. I think if we're lucky we may see the Choral MScaler later this year, but I suspect the new Ultra Dac is still a long way away, as for the digital amps?, it's all gone very quiet.

Mar 13, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #24,248 of 25,920
Has a feature set been announced for the new Choral M-Scaler?

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:05 PM Post #24,250 of 25,920
My take is no. I think a noiseless/low-noise source into Chord DACs should produce the same sound (having tested multiple sources with laptops, desktops, iPhone, iPads, streamers).
With Chord DACs, to me, streamers are more for convenience, in terms of getting a better user interface/experience (as I personally use a streamer).
But the danger of using a streamer is that all streamers would be grounded so there is always a chance that you can make the sound worse if the streamer pumps too much RF noise from ground loop leakage current into the Chord DACs.
So if your current setup is giving your great sound with Chord DACs, and you’re happy with your user interface/experience, I wouldn’t waste my time looking into streamer. I would just spend that time listening to more music and enjoy.

p.s. I was happy with my iPad feeding DAVE. But when I first got my streamer, I tried so many different ways with the power source for the streamer to get the same sound and I really struggled. In the end, I used the streamer and a USB to Toslink converter to feed DAVE and I got the sound that I got with the iPad (because no noise from Toslink). So if it wasn’t for the UI, I could have saved myself a lot of time and enjoyed a lot more music.
Thanks!

Mar 13, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #24,251 of 25,920
My take is no. I think a noiseless/low-noise source into Chord DACs should produce the same sound (having tested multiple sources with laptops, desktops, iPhone, iPads, streamers).
With Chord DACs, to me, streamers are more for convenience, in terms of getting a better user interface/experience (as I personally use a streamer).
But the danger of using a streamer is that all streamers would be grounded so there is always a chance that you can make the sound worse if the streamer pumps too much RF noise from ground loop leakage current into the Chord DACs.
So if your current setup is giving your great sound with Chord DACs, and you’re happy with your user interface/experience, I wouldn’t waste my time looking into streamer. I would just spend that time listening to more music and enjoy.

p.s. I was happy with my iPad feeding DAVE. But when I first got my streamer, I tried so many different ways with the power source for the streamer to get the same sound and I really struggled. In the end, I used the streamer and a USB to Toslink converter to feed DAVE and I got the sound that I got with the iPad (because no noise from Toslink). So if it wasn’t for the UI, I could have saved myself a lot of time and enjoyed a lot more music.
What streamer(s) did you try?

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:37 PM Post #24,252 of 25,920
I think it depends on your house/apartment setup. I have my Roon core in a different room and it is connected via Ethernet to the router and then to an Auralic streamer. This is also what Roon labs recommends. Not sure if there is a difference in soundquality to connecting your source directly to the dac. However, if your source has a fan I would hate to listen to the fan :wink: If you have everything at your desk and connected to your laptop (source) I wouldn’t worry too much about a streamer.

Mar 13, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #24,253 of 25,920
I wonder, would any of you guys wish to make an educated guess as to the likely launch times for Choral M Scaler, Ultima DAC and Rob's Digital amps?
This would be a question to @Mojo ideas (John Franks) ..but i doubt he would say anything since hes not seen here after october last year

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #24,254 of 25,920
I wonder, would any of you guys wish to make an educated guess as to the likely launch times for Choral M Scaler, Ultima DAC and Rob's Digital amps? .....assuming they do eventually make it to market, of course.
I think posters were saying that there were interesting hints in these interviews:

My guesses would be, although historically I have a lowish percentage prediction rate:
  • Choral M Scaler - Singapore canjam
  • Ultima DAC - 2024
  • Digital amps - 2025

Mar 14, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #24,255 of 25,920
I think posters were saying that there were interesting hints in these interviews:

My guesses would be, although historically I have a lowish percentage prediction rate:
  • Choral M Scaler - Singapore canjam
  • Ultima DAC - 2024
  • Digital amps - 2025

Rob will likely discuss the Choral M Scaler in October, I'm likely going to go see him there, what's amazing is that there are no interviews, or any videos of Rob for the recent NYC CanJam, no one recorded Rob?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back