CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 21, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #22,682 of 25,851
Likes and listens. But then it depends what you define as dance music. I guess I should have said electronica, as that's a more accurate description.

So recent non classical music I have been enjoying over the summer - Billie Eilish, Boris Blank, Culprate, Daft Punk, Erased Tapes, Felix Laband, Hans Zimmer, Johann Johannsson, Leonard Cohen, Trent Reznor (Mank), Max Richter, One Eskimo, Patti Smith, Pink Floyd, Public Service Broadcasting, Radio Massacre International, Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones), Rick Wakeman, Yes, Sohn, Tomita, Trentmoller, Villagers, Yello, Olafur Arnalds, Hildur Guonadottir and finally Tangerine Dream.
What, no Kate Bush?

Sep 21, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #22,684 of 25,851
Hear to ask advice from the master Headfiers :) ...

Buying a custom 1m XLR interconnect from Arctic Cables. I have silver RCA interconnects already but want to try a very good copper cable as well. Was going to get the Apeiron 15.5 AWG Copper OCC Litz. For interconnects I can get some cheap Neutrik 3-pin XLR or pony up for NEOTECH NEX-OCC RH (solid copper/rhodium plated) plugs. These plugs are highly expensive and am able to get a discount on them (15%).

https://www.arcticcables.com/apeiron

My question if I'm going for end game XLR interconnect from Dave to power amp. Would the plug make a subjective difference? Can the plug be the bottleneck of someones end game system? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #22,687 of 25,851
What is the reason to do this?

Much fuller, detailed sound. Frankly, everything about them is far better. I was blown away when I tried this RCA interconnect after using a well-known brand of litz cables costing twice as much. The difference was night and day, and I was embarrassed to have overpaid to such a degree for my litz interconnects. VH Audio also makes XLR interconnects. There are many manufacturers to choose from. These just happened to be the ones I directly compared to the litz cables. As a starting point, I suggest you look at the offerings here.

Sep 22, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #22,688 of 25,851
Much fuller, detailed sound. Frankly, everything about them is far better. I was blown away when I tried this RCA interconnect after using a well-known brand of litz cables costing twice as much. The difference was night and day, and I was embarrassed to have overpaid to such a degree for my litz interconnects. VH Audio also makes XLR interconnects. There are many manufacturers to choose from. These just happened to be the ones I directly compared to the litz cables. As a starting point, I suggest you look at the offerings here.
Hmm I see, which litz cables did you use? Isn't litz supposed to help with reducing skin effect losses? Thanks.

Anyone can let me know about the plugs? Cheap Neutrik 3-pin XLR (brass, gold plated) vs NEOTECH NEX-OCC RH (copper/rhodium plated) ... do plugs make a difference in very revealing systems? Thanks.

Sep 22, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #22,690 of 25,851
Has anyone modified the Dave's XLR that are mounted in for Pure Copper version (whatever plating)?

Sep 22, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #22,693 of 25,851
@Somatic Look for XLR interconnects with as low a capacitance as possible. Low capacitance is best achieved using small wire gauge but also aided by the use of an air dielectric.
Interesting, I've read this many times, on speaker cables the best thing to avoid is inductance. Litz is supposed to help with noise-rejection, so it's interesting that you're experiencing better sound without it.

Sep 22, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #22,694 of 25,851
Likes and listens. But then it depends what you define as dance music. I guess I should have said electronica, as that's a more accurate description.

So recent non classical music I have been enjoying over the summer - Billie Eilish, Boris Blank, Culprate, Daft Punk, Erased Tapes, Felix Laband, Hans Zimmer, Johann Johannsson, Leonard Cohen, Trent Reznor (Mank), Max Richter, One Eskimo, Patti Smith, Pink Floyd, Public Service Broadcasting, Radio Massacre International, Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones), Rick Wakeman, Yes, Sohn, Tomita, Trentmoller, Villagers, Yello, Olafur Arnalds, Hildur Guonadottir and finally Tangerine Dream.
Given your excellent list, you might enjoy Scottish guitarist Sean Shibe’s Lost & Found release. It sounds especially great on M Scaler + DAVE—hearing the attacks/decays of his electric guitar brings another level of listening joy. (His Bach album is also great.)

http://open.qobuz.com/album/daudkv7gnf1cc

Not to be judged by its unusual cover.

PNG image.png

Sep 23, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #22,695 of 25,851
Has anyone modified the Dave's XLR that are mounted in for Pure Copper version (whatever plating)?
If your amp can do SE too try using a cable from the HP jack in front.. you bypass one internal relay then. See the schematic i posted earlier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back