CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 25, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #22,246 of 25,868
Indeed. It has to be re-mastered from the original files, not the final master, to maintain quality.
remaster from original pcm files will sound poorer than that original master files. only one scenario when remaster can sound better if we are talking about consumer cd quality files. cd quality remaster can sound better than older cd quality version if better resampling algorithm and better dither are used to downsample from high res pcm master to cd quality. any other processing like eq, compression etc will degrade the sound.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #22,247 of 25,868
It seems Chord has to pay more attention to power supplies in their next models, almost every one agrees, time for them to listen to their customers.
Everyone except the designer.

And by "almost everyone", you mean the minority of customers who spend too much time on Hifi forums.

SMPS are the foundation of all Chord Electronics products so I really can't see this changing. I doubt its affecting sales at all.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #22,248 of 25,868

And by "almost everyone", you mean the minority of customers who spend too much time on Hifi forums.

SMPS are the foundation of all Chord Electronics products so I really can't see this changing. I doubt its affecting sales at all.

The other thing is cost. Personally, at the time I bought the Dave, it was at the upper bound of what I was willing to pay for a DAC. Once I have a really killer speaker setup + headphones, I'll feel more comfortable shelling out more. But I'd imagine that there are a considerable amount of users that probably wouldn't own a Dave if it were say $5k more that it is today. (and that's also considering the price increases during the pandemic)

But I do agree that improvement in power seems worthwhile in general. The Farad 3 looks really interesting given the price point. Definitely something I may consider looking into in the future.

Aug 26, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #22,249 of 25,868
Yup youre right.. this upgraderitus is a virus i got from this forums.. but then i never would have discovered Chord

We should spend more time with the music😜

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #22,250 of 25,868
Is anyone running a pair of very small, but high quality speakers, from their DAVE? There sometimes comes a time when one just needs to pump some sound though speakers rather than Headphones. I'd like a pair of small speakers on my small music cupboard and would like some suggestions as to which ones, be it active or passive. 🍻
I run a pair of Genelek 8331 and a 7360 sub from my Dave. Fantastic sound.

Aug 26, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #22,251 of 25,868
remaster from original pcm files will sound poorer than that original master files. only one scenario when remaster can sound better if we are talking about consumer cd quality files. cd quality remaster can sound better than older cd quality version if better resampling algorithm and better dither are used to downsample from high res pcm master to cd quality. any other processing like eq, compression etc will degrade the sound.
You've got your terms all over the place. The "master" is the final file, after the mastering process, that the record company uses to make the media the public buys or streams. Re-mastering is re-creating the master files from the original, raw recordings of the artist(s). Knowing that, please read my previous post again. :)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 4:12 AM Post #22,252 of 25,868
You've got your terms all over the place. The "master" is the final file, after the mastering process, that the record company uses to make the media the public buys or streams. Re-mastering is re-creating the master files from the original, raw recordings of the artist(s). Knowing that, please read my previous post again. :)
Its 2 different things..

1: remaster from original recorded channels on eg. the mixing table.. create new pcm file

Or 2: re-adc or even digital to digital like upscaling.

@rkt31 points to the latter i think..

Aug 26, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #22,253 of 25,868
Master is not the final distribution file. Master is the file from which consumer distribution cd quality files are generated. In digital, master most of the time is high resolution pcm files like 24 96, 24 192 or even 24 384, after final mixing of digital multi track recordings ( some labels record in two channels only) . You can even buy these final high resolution masters on websites these days. Labels like chesky which record in two channels only claim their high resolution two channels files are untouched and available on websites for buying. You see digital technology makes possible consumers to buy original digital master. "So remaster is not the master file". Remaster is the reprocessed "cd quality file" for consumers from pcm master files. In some very rare cases even a new digital master can also be done by remixing the original digital multi tracks. In analog there is only one master which is final master analog tape or direct cut record which may be or may not be mix of multi tracks. That final master analog tape is the basis of digital high resolution transfer later. Many specialized labels like mfsl use custom R2R machine and adcs to make their own digital high resolution master.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #22,254 of 25,868

Agree, they are wedded to the idea of the SMPS. I am a DC4 convert, made a huge difference, but I guess for a true comparison we should be comparing a DC4'ed Dave to a Dave with a £5.5k SMPS. (if there i such a thing!)

Aug 26, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #22,255 of 25,868
ConvinceMeAudio’s review of Chord Dave up on YouTube now

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #22,256 of 25,868
I run a pair of Genelek 8331 and a 7360 sub from my Dave. Fantastic sound.
They look pretty good. Size may still be an issue but I will see if I can obtain a demo of these Genelek 8331's. In the meantime my next question is which Headphone Amplifier would one recommend for the Dave (currently running LCD-5's)? I'm currently using a Singxer SA-1 which, although very good, I know I can do better.

Aug 26, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #22,257 of 25,868
They look pretty good. Size may still be an issue but I will see if I can obtain a demo of these Genelek 8331's. In the meantime my next question is which Headphone Amplifier would one recommend for the Dave (currently running LCD-5's)? I'm currently using a Singxer SA-1 which, although very good, I know I can do better.
Oor+Hypsos

Aug 26, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #22,259 of 25,868
I have LCD 5 as well 😀. I prefer them through a valve amp and I have a Woo WA7 connected to the DAVE. Again for me it sounds fantastic. I’ve tried to love the headphone output from DAVE but just prefer the extra warmth I get from the WA7. The DAC in the WA7 sucks big time hence just using it as the amp.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #22,260 of 25,868
No remastering is not recreating the master file because you can't recreate master from original pcm master. you cam only reprocess the original master. In some very rare cases you mix all the digital multitracks again to get a new master but that is very uncommon. So remaster is new cd quality distribution file after reprocessing the pcm master.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back