CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #22,276 of 25,919
Can you dumb this down some more? I have a router downstairs and use a power line adapter to get Ethernet in my room. What would you recommend to clean up the Ethernet? Does it make a difference?
Best way is to convert the Ethernet to optical for long distance run and just before your streamer, convert the optical back to Ethernet and hence no issue of electrical interference. Just make sure the converter that’s converting optical to Ethernet is connected to good LPS.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #22,277 of 25,919
https://www.ravepubs.com/torus-powerblock-pb-10-aimed-mid-sized-av-systems/amp/

Wouldn’t something like this clean up the power from the mains? If so, does this make the Farad3 and HYPSOS unnecessary? I would assume this is too simple and I am missing something. Also if you have this connected to the mains and then LPS connected to the power block would this be a benefit or detriment to the sound. Thanks

Does it provide enough power swings and plenty of headroom that will ensure enough dynamics on complex sections of a track? If it does have a supercapacitor it probably can provide those swings. The Stromtank S2500 can provide 2,300 W peak power when needed and has 550 W RMS continuous which is enough for medium size room. It's a pricey solution, but it makes your whole system completely off the grid (if for streaming, router can be on the grid and just the ethernet fiber stream to ethernet converter along with the streamer is off the grid)

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #22,279 of 25,919
Check this video out, talks about time domain.

@Rob Watts, I think this video talks about many of the things you say.

That's why I love forums :) (not all obviously :wink: )
Thanks a lot for the video, very interesting (not watched full yet, but I will in free time)

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #22,280 of 25,919
Noticed a recent review on YouTube I've not had time to watch it yet myself

Here's the link

Thanks for notifying us😉
One thing i filtered Rob got a uber (integrated?) DAC on his roadmap from Chord.. maybe a new coming Chord lineup aside Choral hmm

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #22,282 of 25,919
That's why I love forums :) (not all obviously :wink: )
Thanks a lot for the video, very interesting (not watched full yet, but I will in free time)
Ok so small follow up. Watched the video couldn't wait :p
Interesting stuff, basically confirmation what Rob was saying (and Chord dacs lovers knew/felt) that timing is crucial.

If somebody is interested in more stuff from Milind N. Kunchur I suggest to check his page and researches:
http://boson.physics.sc.edu/~kunchur//Acoustics-papers.htm
One more time thanks @GuiltyRocker for the video. :beerchug:

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #22,283 of 25,919
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #22,285 of 25,919
What's amazing is what Rob has said for years, if you chop off the transients it gets very hard to tell what the instrument is, Rob has said that over and over.
Another angle on this, which is familiar to those of us who made electronic music without the aid of keyboard-driven synthesisers, is to consider a sound played backwards.

Playing a tape backwards and altering the speed was a common basic way of generating new sounds in those days.

A piano note played backwards is as good as unrecognisable despite the fact that it contains all of the same harmonics in the same ratios as the forwards version.

The envelope of a sound is crucial, and this envelope is not only determined by the presence of the correct harmonics but also by their relative phases.

Phase and transient timing are two sides of the same coin.

This is why recording the phases of the various sound sources relative to the listener is vital, and why recordings that lose that relationship either at source or during mixing sound so bad.

It is why recordings using just a single stereo pair of mics generally have a great soundstage even though they might have other warts relating to the actual performance.

Post mixing, that 2nd oboe might now be audible but mixing in the single mic track from the 2nd oboe without proper regard to its phase relationship with the rest of the recording will wreck the soundstage.

Such mangled recordings cannot be redeemed by an audio chain, no matter how excellent.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #22,286 of 25,919
Another angle on this, which is familiar to those of us who made electronic music without the aid of keyboard-driven synthesisers, is to consider a sound played backwards.

Playing a tape backwards and altering the speed was a common basic way of generating new sounds in those days.

A piano note played backwards is as good as unrecognisable despite the fact that it contains all of the same harmonics in the same ratios as the forwards version.

The envelope of a sound is crucial, and this envelope is not only determined by the presence of the correct harmonics but also by their relative phases.

Phase and transient timing are two sides of the same coin.

This is why recording the phases of the various sound sources relative to the listener is vital, and why recordings that lose that relationship either at source or during mixing sound so bad.

It is why recordings using just a single stereo pair of mics generally have a great soundstage even though they might have other warts relating to the actual performance.

Post mixing, that 2nd oboe might now be audible but mixing in the single mic track from the 2nd oboe without proper regard to its phase relationship with the rest of the recording will wreck the soundstage.

Such mangled recordings cannot be redeemed by an audio chain, no matter how excellent.
Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #22,287 of 25,919
Any new info on the choral Mscaler? Still coming out this year?

Aug 28, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #22,288 of 25,919
Wondering if anyone can recommend some reasonable priced silver or copper interconnects? I was thinking Lavricable grand or master xlr and rcas but was unsure if it would add to harshness in the chain. So far I find the Lavricable grand to sound a bit harsh so unsure that burn in will change that. So far, copper/silver hybrid has been my jam.

Aug 28, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #22,289 of 25,919
Do you find Sablon offer a noticable SQ improvement over Blue Jeans?
Yes, to my ears. Improvements were consistent with RF reduction: wider soundstage, better mid-bass and smoother uppers. Barrows at Sonore found the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back