CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 29, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #21,871 of 25,901
The Dave cannot be a state of the art DAC if I need to buy other products to make it sound better. It’s simply absurd.
Why don’t Chord just make a single state of the art DAC instead of an obviously floored design. Include the M scaler and include a decent linear power supply without noise into single DAC.
Chuck in an audiophile fuse while they’re at it.
Same reason as all seperates, isolation …
Adding external processing power from the MScaler reduces the processing load on the DAC, if users wish to go for more isolation between extensive digital processing done by the MScaler and the D/A conversion by the DAC with specialty cables or optical isolation solutions that option is there…

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #21,872 of 25,901
These days a true state of the art DAC has performance that is close to impeccable without any band aids at a price that is an order of magnitude less than what a DAVE costs. Are you suggesting that Chord try to compete in that market? I doubt they have any particular interest in going there.

Chord is in the market of audiophile enthusiasts who value design and fun as part of the hobby. Trying things with and without an M scaler, testing different power supplies, cables, etc. is what the fun is all about. Just sticking everything into one simple functional box that does it all impeccably kind of removes that experience.

Given the huge improvements that have been made in DACs since DAVE was designed there is no way it can be state of the art any more. Is it a fun cool product that many people enjoy? You bet, DAVE is cool.
What is the dac that has it all ?

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #21,874 of 25,901
What is the dac that has it all ?
I doubt @Hooster is arguing for such a DAC.
I agree with him, that Dave buyers, are after the fun and uniqueness of owning such a device.
Adding Mscaler, a linear PSU (against RW advice!), trying different cables, using cones or spikes on isolated platforms, are all part of the experience and the fun.
Indeed, I sarcastically blamed RW for not coming up with a 3 or four box solution at 20K, for such clients! they obviously are serious about their hobby and have deep pockets to go with it (how much is a Farad3 anyway?), so why not?!
3 or more box solution, with an Oven Clock generator, that can be upgraded.
Mscaler, or perhaps a DMscaler (deka-million scaler!). PSU section of course!
Those, who want a one box solution, can get an amplifier with built-in DAC, headphone amp from a reputable brand.
There is always a 70s style Music-Centre!
Oops, sorry , those went the way of Dodo!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #21,875 of 25,901
I doubt @Hooster is arguing for such a DAC.
I agree with him, that Dave buyers, are after the fun and uniqueness of owning such a device.
Adding Mscaler, a linear PSU (against RW advice!), trying different cables, using cones or spikes on isolated platforms, are all part of the experience and the fun.
Indeed, I sarcastically blamed RW for not coming up with a 3 or four box solution at 20K, for such clients! they obviously are serious about their hobby and have deep pockets to go with it (how much is a Farad3 anyway?), so why not?!
3 or more box solution, with an Oven Clock generator, that can be upgraded.
Mscaler, or perhaps a DMscaler (deka-million scaler!). PSU section of course!
Those, who want a one box solution, can get an amplifier with built-in DAC, headphone amp from a reputable brand.
There is always a 70s style Music-Centre!
Oops, sorry , those went the way of Dodo!

Rob doesn't believe these power supplies make any difference, the SMPS power supply inside DAVE is enough, I haven't tried it myself so I wouldn't know. I think the DAVE sounds wonderful as a DAC with its stock power supply.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #21,876 of 25,901
It’s going to be a good few years before I can afford the DAVE so I hope by then there is a new version out 🙂
Kev
The same thing applies 😀

Get a current DAVE second hand when you can by trading in the Hugo 2. When DAVE 2 or GOLIATH or whatever it is comes out, rinse and repeat!

That way you stay on the escalator. Otherwise the price of the new device will forever run away from you.

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #21,878 of 25,901
The Dave cannot be a state of the art DAC if I need to buy other products to make it sound better. It’s simply absurd.
Why don’t Chord just make a single state of the art DAC instead of an obviously floored design. Include the M scaler and include a decent linear power supply without noise into single DAC.
Chuck in an audiophile fuse while they’re at it.
If they did this, the DAVE would be £25k+ and in an ENTIRELY different market to that which Chord chose to address.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #21,879 of 25,901
Sounds like Chord have a good thing going, with a fun loving customer base to wiggle money from they’d milking the cash cow.
I didn’t know it would that easy!
I don't think they are really milking it on the DAVE as much as you think.

If they were, following the lead of many other manufacturers, they would have produced an £8k to £10k PSU as an upgrade! 😀

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #21,880 of 25,901
Rob doesn't believe these power supplies make any difference, the SMPS power supply inside DAVE is enough, I haven't tried it myself so I wouldn't know. I think the DAVE sounds wonderful as a DAC with its stock power supply.
I see. Rob doesn’t believe power supplies make difference - yet his company sells very expensive cables because they do make a difference. Like the logic.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #21,884 of 25,901
Big of you to admit.
This brings us to a point:
- If you intend on praising something or knocking it, you always manage to find your evidence!
Best to be objective, and not approach anything with any intent!
Price is irrelevant! Some have , some don't.
It is foolish to argue that that Rolex buyers are being taken advantage of, because a $10 Seiko keeps better or as good a time!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back