CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 23, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #21,526 of 25,821
Does anyone think that Chord will offer a low voltage input on a new of model DAVE at a later date? considering the large number of people who have taken the matter into their own hands.
I'm planning on buying a DAVE to replace my Qutest in the future and I'm only half way there cash wise. I'm seriously thinking of holding back the purchase of the DAVE until a new model comes out.
I wonder how long I may have to wait, I'm more than happy with the Qutest and the MCRU LPS at the moment but having looked at Youtube reviews of Holo May and tried a number of other DACS which have all gone back for a refund I have decided I will buy a DAVE at some stage in the future, I certainly don't want to buy one next year having saved only to find a new model coming out a few months after I buy one.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #21,527 of 25,821
Does anyone think that Chord will offer a low voltage input on a new of model DAVE at a later date? considering the large number of people who have taken the matter into their own hands.
I'm planning on buying a DAVE to replace my Qutest in the future and I'm only half way there cash wise. I'm seriously thinking of holding back the purchase of the DAVE until a new model comes out.
I wonder how long I may have to wait, I'm more than happy with the Qutest and the MCRU LPS at the moment but having looked at Youtube reviews of Holo May and tried a number of other DACS which have all gone back for a refund I have decided I will buy a DAVE at some stage in the future, I certainly don't want to buy one next year having saved only to find a new model coming out a few months after I buy one.
I doubt that there will ever be a DAVE 2.

Rob always posts that the DAVE 2 is not on his design radar, plus Chord seem to be moving away from single-box solutions, and more towards a long-term vision of standalone upscalers, digital amps, streamers,.....
Just my opinion, which could be totally wrong.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #21,528 of 25,821
People have been asking this question for at least 3-4 years :) There's talk of a more expensive Ultima-level dac potentially being on the road map, but no one knows for sure. Either way, as long as you get a good price and don't pay retail ,you'd be safe with Dave's resell value.
For our particular preference there doesn't seem to be anything that beats it under its price point. I will audition the Lina soon enough, but I doubt it will actually top Dave in my setup. Especially since adding the Ferrum Oor, couldn't be happier with it.

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #21,529 of 25,821
There seems to be no evidence that a new DAVE is coming out in the foreseeable future.

In your position I'd go ahead for three reasons: it is a great DAC in its own right, should you ever want a DAVE 2 if it comes the DAVE would hold its value well as a trade-in, and you have the various lps solutions - Farad, ARC6 etc - which are very effective upgrades.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #21,530 of 25,821
There were rumors of a new Chord dac though. Maybe not a DAVE 2, but something. Personally, I dunno if it is a great time to buy a DAVE. I love my mDAVE with SJ PSUs, but if I had to do it again, right now at this moment, I don’t know if I would. For the price of a DAVE with all the extra stuff, you’re now at a whole new level, like a DCS Rossini, etc. Would they be better than the Dave with extras? Maybe

The thing is, the DAVE is old, with no upgradeable firmware, meaning it will just keep getting older.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #21,531 of 25,821
There were rumors of a new Chord dac though. Maybe not a DAVE 2, but something. Personally, I dunno if it is a great time to buy a DAVE. I love my mDAVE with SJ PSUs, but if I had to do it again, right now at this moment, I don’t know if I would. For the price of a DAVE with all the extra stuff, you’re now at a whole new level, like a DCS Rossini or something.
For sure there is always that ‘what if‘ but some have heard a tricked out Dave/HMS against Rossini say that the dCS loses out so who knows

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #21,532 of 25,821
For sure there is always that ‘what if‘ but some have heard a tricked out Dave/HMS against Rossini say that the dCS loses out so who knows
Yeah, I really want to get a Rossini home demo with my setup, but that’s very hard to do where I live. Also, the price. While my tricked out DAVE cost about the same as a Rossini, the costs were spread over time, making it easier to swallow. My mind hasn’t fully wrapped around the idea of paying that much at one time for a Rossini priced dac. But, I still do wonder.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 4:49 AM Post #21,533 of 25,821
Yeah, I really want to get a Rossini home demo with my setup, but that’s very hard to do where I live. Also, the price. While my tricked out DAVE cost about the same as a Rossini, the costs were spread over time, making it easier to swallow. My mind hasn’t fully wrapped around the idea of paying that much at one time for a Rossini priced dac. But, I still do wonder.
. . . . . then there is the prospect of the new Choral range Scaler which should lift the Dave to new levels. And so it goes on . . .

Jul 23, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #21,534 of 25,821
I've been tracking two DAVE's that came ip on e-bay recently both quite new one £6100 and the other newer one £6700 so I may just go down that route and budget for replacing the power supply.
Just to add I'm only looking for a DAC my Pathos Inpol Ear will stay forever as will my Auralic Aries G1streamer

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #21,535 of 25,821
I've been tracking two DAVE's that came ip on e-bay recently both quite new one £6100 and the other newer one £6700 so I may just go down that route and budget for replacing the power supply.
Just to add I'm only looking for a DAC my Pathos Inpol Ear will stay forever as will my Auralic Aries G1streamer
Do that and you will be very happy. Keep it simple and relativaly cheap👍🏻

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #21,536 of 25,821
I got a good deal at nintronics - traded in tt2, maybe worth seeing what they can do.

Jul 23, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #21,538 of 25,821
I've seen their items on e-bay and they seem to be £1000 more for the same item, not that I object as we all have to make a living.
I was lucky to see Zappa at Brighton many years ago.
Roxy and elsewhere is a good recording, can pick up a lot of the live feeling.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #21,539 of 25,821
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #21,540 of 25,821
Also, give the Gents at Fanthorpes HiFi a call as well. They are fabulous and offer fantastic Customer Services as well. I've dealt with them now on several occasions and they are also very open with their Demo equipment if you need to trial/listen before you buy. I'll be returning to them again for the up and coming Innuos Pulsar Streamer released in September.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back