CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #21,542 of 26,077
I agree with you all I had the PS Audio DAC on trial from them and bought my PS Audio Powerplant from them. Very good company.
As I said I watch every DAVE that comes up on e-bay and £6700 for an 18 month old one isn't bad so when my funds allow I'll hopefully pick up something like that.

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #21,543 of 26,077
Just be extra careful on eBay.. take all the precautions possible. I know Nintronics has an account on there so that counts as a possible plus. It may be worth reaching out to Fanthorpes or whom ever you choose to see if they can source a second hand DAVE or indeed they have one incoming to themselves.... this way you also have payment options and guarantees.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #21,545 of 26,077
I watch every DAVE that comes up on e-bay

Also keep in mind that prizes in general are rising.. and not all sellers realized that for their Dave..

I did the same but be sure to go hear and test it first at the seller's place

BTW, Have you heard one once?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #21,546 of 26,077
No I haven't, I work on the strict basis that if I can't buy something outright I don't buy it. That way it allows me to do lots of homework regarding any purchase. The fact that the DAVE is quite expensive will make me more cautious.
As a collector of watches I have bought watches many times more expensive than the DAVE on e-bay from all over the world with no problems, in some ways Paypal is your friend there, although electronic equipment is a risk I'm quite comfortable once I have contacted the buyer.
The two recent DAVE's look to be genuine.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #21,547 of 26,077
... Also, the price. While my tricked out DAVE cost about the same as a Rossini, the costs were spread over time, making it easier to swallow. My mind hasn’t fully wrapped around the idea of paying that much at one time for a Rossini priced dac. But, I still do wonder.
That's a big point. You buy a Rossini and you still have major expenses to get a system that actually plays music. This makes the Rossini DAC extremely hard to swallow if you are already stretching your budget just for that.

The same thing applies to the DAVE itself, but at a lower price point. Buy a DAVE, get a sound source and a pair of headphones and you can have instant music plus you have a device that will respond very well indeed to system and power supply upgrades.

The fact that DAVE + lps is even mentioned in the same breath as the Rossini makes getting a DAVE a no-brainer. So much more fun to be had.

People who can buy a Rossini outright are already in a much different market budget-wise to the one at which DAVE is pitched.

These considerations just don't apply to those people.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #21,548 of 26,077
As a collector of watches I have bought watches many times more expensive than the DAVE
Yes! Fellow Watch collector! I'm expecting a Tag Monaco 'Dark Lord' soon.... sorry for the off thread comment.... got excited there's another Watch collector on the forum! 🤣

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #21,549 of 26,077
No I haven't, I work on the strict basis that if I can't buy something outright I don't buy it. That way it allows me to do lots of homework regarding any purchase. The fact that the DAVE is quite expensive will make me more cautious.
As a collector of watches I have bought watches many times more expensive than the DAVE on e-bay from all over the world with no problems, in some ways Paypal is your friend there, although electronic equipment is a risk I'm quite comfortable once I have contacted the buyer.
The two recent DAVE's look to be genuine.
In this day and age and at these price points it should be possible to arrange a video call with the seller who can then demonstrate live that their DAVE functions properly, and show you the condition of the casework.

You would also be able to view the serial number so you would know that the one you receive is the same as the one shown to you.

Anything less than pristine, just walk away. The kind of mistreatment that would visibly damage something as solid as the DAVE would almost certainly void the warranty.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #21,550 of 26,077
In this day and age and at these price points it should be possible to arrange a video call with the seller who can then demonstrate live that their DAVE functions properly, and show you the condition of the casework.

You would also be able to view the serial number so you would know that the one you receive is the same as the one shown to you.

Anything less than pristine, just walk away. The kind of mistreatment that would visibly damage something as solid as the DAVE would almost certainly void the warranty.
I agree, both items on e-bay had all the original box and leads etc and you could see the serial number something that does indicate that the said purchase date of 2021 was correct. As you say its easy these days to do a video call and any whiff of suspicion can be dealt with.
First thing I'll do is change the power supply, it made a difference to my Qutest so I'll follow you guys on that point.

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #21,551 of 26,077
Hi @Rob Watts

What is the story behind this SMA reservation near Dave's display header..
Was there once a Bluetooth function planned for Dave?

IMG-20220723-WA0014.jpeg

Jul 23, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #21,552 of 26,077
Just be extra careful on eBay.. take all the precautions possible. I know Nintronics has an account on there so that counts as a possible plus. It may be worth reaching out to Fanthorpes or whom ever you choose to see if they can source a second hand DAVE or indeed they have one incoming to themselves.... this way you also have payment options and guarantees.
I don't think there's much point in buying from Nintronics on ebay.

You can buy whatever it is direct from them and maybe you could persuade them to cut you some of the ebay sellers' fees that they would be saving in the process 🙂

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #21,554 of 26,077
Hi @Rob Watts

What is the story behind this SMA reservation near Dave's display header..
Was there once a Bluetooth function planned for Dave?

Curiouser and curiouser 🤔🤓

Makes one wonder what might be hiding under that apparently oh so hard to remove internal shield in the m scaler as well... 😀

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #21,555 of 26,077
Curiouser and curiouser 🤔🤓

Makes one wonder what might be hiding under that apparently oh so hard to remove internal shield in the m scaler as well... 😀
Hm🤭 that would be a wireless Dualdata link reservation 😇 lol

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back