CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
May 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #20,071 of 25,850
May 5, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #20,074 of 25,850
Hope you got a good discount on that Dave. It's not exactly new having released in 2015. Almost all TOTL dacs from that time have had at least one interim upgrade.
What difference does it make that it was released in 2015. The Dave and the m-scaler were the best dac available then, and with a few tweaks they still are now.

May 5, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #20,075 of 25,850
And yet after all that time at still one of the best out there at that price.

What did you pay for yours?
At any price imho!

May 5, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #20,076 of 25,850
I think you need a better transport than your PC, to be complete honest. TT2 is not garbage but your PC is.
After being persuaded by this thread to get a streamer for Dave, it's now picking up dust and i went back to my pc for Hqplayer. It's only garbage if you have no idea what you're doing and think clean power is a myth :)

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #20,078 of 25,850
Looking at Antipodes K50 and Grimm Audio's Mu1. Both are exceptional streamers with very, very distinct signatures. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has compared these two with DAVE and their experience with a single BNC cable?
I own an MU1 > DAVE, which easily beat a Statement (with original power supply). I haven't tried the K50, but the only mini-review I've seen had them broadly equal, with the MU1 being more transparent and the K50 being a bit warmer.

SQ-wise, the MU1 does not have a distinct signature - it's very transparent. But in form and function it is indeed very different to the K50.
Go for the MU1 if you want a relatively small, light and simple system that only runs Roon. One and done.
Go for the K50 if you want more flexibility and non-Roon options, and like the idea of a bigger, heavier and much more expensive component. Greater tinkering possibilities.

The MU1 doesn't have a BNC output. It's either AES or spdif/RCA. It upsamples only up to 4FS. Choose one great AES cable (see the MU1 thread on AS) and say goodbye to all previous faffing around with BNC and USB cables.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #20,079 of 25,850
I own an MU1 > DAVE, which easily beat a Statement (with original power supply). I haven't tried the K50, but the only mini-review I've seen had them broadly equal, with the MU1 being more transparent and the K50 being a bit warmer.

SQ-wise, the MU1 does not have a distinct signature - it's very transparent. But in form and function it is indeed very different to the K50.
Go for the MU1 if you want a relatively small, light and simple system that only runs Roon. One and done.
Go for the K50 if you want more flexibility and non-Roon options, and like the idea of a bigger, heavier and much more expensive component. Greater tinkering possibilities.

The MU1 doesn't have a BNC output. It's either AES or spdif/RCA. It upsamples only up to 4FS. Choose one great AES cable (see the MU1 thread on AS) and say goodbye to all previous faffing around with BNC and USB cables.
I have considered the MU1 but I am concerned that it is Roon only.

One can accept that the MU1 is a good implementation of Roon but the question is whether Roon on the MU1 is as good SQ as the K50 playing Squeeze/Squeezelite. I have never heard Roon being totally transparent compared to Squeeze + Squeezelite.

There is only one way to find out and one day I will load up my K50 and take it to see Jack at the Audio Barn, stockists of the MU1 and also the Extreme. (I have promised Jack that I will take my ARC6 Dave so he can hear that.)

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #20,080 of 25,850

Thanks for that, Attorney. Indeed, its a spaghetti farm in the back of the cabinet with the MK-III, Phoenixnet and reclocker, so the MU1 sounds attractive, although sole reliance on Roon - the company not the product -is the only nagging concern. Getting OT for this forum, but how are you finding Mu1's menu wheel? From what I understand, there's no remote. Are you able to access most of the selections without having to get up and turn that wheel?

May 6, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #20,081 of 25,850

Looks like up sampling streamers are the latest fad. The new Lumin U2 mini seems similar, and also has USB :
https://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u2-mini.html

May 6, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #20,083 of 25,850
I know it’s hard but if one wanted to quantify the difference in percentage of the TT2 vs Dave …. Would TT2 be 80% as good?

May 6, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #20,084 of 25,850
I know it’s hard but if one wanted to quantify the difference in percentage of the TT2 vs Dave …. Would TT2 be 80% as good?
Depends on the listening acuity of the person. Some people can't tell the difference of a cable while I can tell difference between different rca plugs, 2.1mm plugs. The fundamental processing power of the Dave vs tt2 and how it sounds is very close compared to the performance difference of their psu. Tt2 is less sensitive to mains quality than the Dave so tt2 may be ahead albeit some congestion while the Dave has good extension too and bottom but susceptible to extra energy on upper mids and up. Both tt2 and Dave can be tweaked within or around it where one can exceed the other.

Deciding between the two is less important vs the optimization needed on the rest of the chain. If one can spend the extra $$ on the Dave, they will still be rewarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back