CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 7, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #18,796 of 25,867
Just recieved an email from mattijs from farad and this is his official outcome and pricings etc hope you guys appreciate it:

Thanks for your interest! We have made a special power supply upgrade for the Chord Dave based on our Farad Super3 power supplies. These are available in +5V, +15V and for the -15V the Dave also uses we specially developed the first ever negative regulated supercap supply making use of the Super3 technology.

The advantage of three single supplies is that it gives much better sound quality against a one box solution, because the fuse and power cables are splitted and all supplies are fully separated, so no interactions on each other. We found this to be quite important for best sound. Also it gives more flexibility towards future upgrades (for example with the upcoming Farad Super10 supply). And last sound for digital and analog can be tuned with the individual power cables and fuses, so this gives more possibilities for tuning the final sound even better.

We have designed a special power monitoring PCB which fits exactly in the spot where the original Dave SMPS supply is now. This monitor takes care of the Chord and only will get powered up when all three voltages are present and within parameters. This will protect the Dave during start-up and from any anomalies with the incoming power when operating. Connected to this monitor there are three 100cm Farad Level 2 silver wires for the three power supply units, and at the other side a connector with shielded cables and gold plated contacts which fits the Dave power connector inside.

We provide a special backplate which fits exactly in the slot where the AC inlet is originally. You only need to unscrew the top plate, remove the original AC inlet and SMPS power supply en slide in the assembly we provide. Close the top plate again and you are ready to play. No soldering.

Prices for this setup are:

• Cable assembly with 100cm Farad Level 2 silver cables, custom backplate and the power monitor: 1000 euro
  • 3x (+5V, +15V, -15V) Farad Super3 basic version: 1516 euro
  • 3x (+5V, +15V, -15V) Farad Super3 full upgraded (SR Purple fuses, Furutech Rhodium AC inlet) versions: 2158 euro

The Super3 supplies are available in AC voltage ranges 100Vac, 110-120Vac, 220-230Vac factory set. Prices are ex VAT, FedEx courier shipping worldwide is free with all orders in the Farad web shop.

If you want to be kept updated, please follow us on Facebook or Instagram. We also can put you on a mailing list and let you know as soon as we have more to tell about it. We expect to be able to ship the upgrade sets in February.

--

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement,

Mattijs de Vries, Farad power supplies

www.Faradpowersupplies.com

Utrechtsestraatweg 198

3911TX Rhenen (UT)

The Netherlands

Phone. +31(0)6-43034092

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:09 AM Post #18,797 of 25,867
Just recieved an email from mattijs from farad and this is his official outcome and pricings etc hope you guys appreciate it:

Thanks for your interest! We have made a special power supply upgrade for the Chord Dave based on our Farad Super3 power supplies. These are available in +5V, +15V and for the -15V the Dave also uses we specially developed the first ever negative regulated supercap supply making use of the Super3 technology.

The advantage of three single supplies is that it gives much better sound quality against a one box solution, because the fuse and power cables are splitted and all supplies are fully separated, so no interactions on each other. We found this to be quite important for best sound. Also it gives more flexibility towards future upgrades (for example with the upcoming Farad Super10 supply). And last sound for digital and analog can be tuned with the individual power cables and fuses, so this gives more possibilities for tuning the final sound even better.

We have designed a special power monitoring PCB which fits exactly in the spot where the original Dave SMPS supply is now. This monitor takes care of the Chord and only will get powered up when all three voltages are present and within parameters. This will protect the Dave during start-up and from any anomalies with the incoming power when operating. Connected to this monitor there are three 100cm Farad Level 2 silver wires for the three power supply units, and at the other side a connector with shielded cables and gold plated contacts which fits the Dave power connector inside.

We provide a special backplate which fits exactly in the slot where the AC inlet is originally. You only need to unscrew the top plate, remove the original AC inlet and SMPS power supply en slide in the assembly we provide. Close the top plate again and you are ready to play. No soldering.

Prices for this setup are:

• Cable assembly with 100cm Farad Level 2 silver cables, custom backplate and the power monitor: 1000 euro
  • 3x (+5V, +15V, -15V) Farad Super3 basic version: 1516 euro
  • 3x (+5V, +15V, -15V) Farad Super3 full upgraded (SR Purple fuses, Furutech Rhodium AC inlet) versions: 2158 euro

The Super3 supplies are available in AC voltage ranges 100Vac, 110-120Vac, 220-230Vac factory set. Prices are ex VAT, FedEx courier shipping worldwide is free with all orders in the Farad web shop.

If you want to be kept updated, please follow us on Facebook or Instagram. We also can put you on a mailing list and let you know as soon as we have more to tell about it. We expect to be able to ship the upgrade sets in February.

--

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement,

Mattijs de Vries, Farad power supplies

www.Faradpowersupplies.com

Utrechtsestraatweg 198

3911TX Rhenen (UT)

The Netherlands

Phone. +31(0)6-43034092
You guys can consider this for Merason Frerot too. Just different voltages and compatible jack. Done.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #18,798 of 25,867
Just Chilled Out.......listening to DaveScaler

Attachments

• 1641565157805_0_RoonShareImage-637771618915402750.png
    1641565157805_0_RoonShareImage-637771618915402750.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #18,799 of 25,867
(Mattijs): We have made a special power supply upgrade for the Chord Dave based on our Farad Super3 power supplies.
...this is an excellent example of how products evolve and new opportunities grow for businesses and consumers.

I have previously posted comments that gently push-back against folks that think it is absurd or inappropriate to add external power supplies to the Dave.

My perspective was/is that it's a choice. An option. You can purchase and enjoy your Dave as is. It's terrific.

But, it is possible to extend the original use-case to modify the product.

The modification path is interesting to some users both due to sonic changes, but also because we can explore and learn about the Dave and how it may be "extended."

This is how we learn. And this is how Chord learns too. How people use their products. How people mis-use their products. What consumers really want. What may be possible avenues for future research and market opportunity.

Dave is a product, not a holy relic. It represents a lot of hard work in R&D and design. Many decisions were made in bringing it to market.

It doesn't have to be static...a picture in a museum. It can evolve...it has evolved. You don't have to like it (or participate), but you can't stop it. Things evolve.

Bravo Mattijs. Bravo Sean Jacobs. Bravo Rob Watts. And chapeau to all that want to learn and to push the envelope a bit.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:07 PM Post #18,800 of 25,867
Just wanted to post a short info to anyone that is looking for good piece to check crossfeed of Dave on headphones.
1641575078754.png

The depth with crossfeed is really nice. Decay goes from you head to front of you.
I'm not using crossfed that much but this album is just freaking amazing with crossfeed.
I love this particular piece - the gnome.
Cheers

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #18,801 of 25,867
Just wanted to post a short info to anyone that is looking for good piece to check crossfeed of Dave on headphones.

The depth with crossfeed is really nice. Decay goes from you head to front of you.
I'm not using crossfed that much but this album is just freaking amazing with crossfeed.
Cheers
I've turned CF on after about 3 months of testing and never turned it back off since

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #18,803 of 25,867

Cheers
Yes an amazing track and this version is one of RW’s test tracks.

It is also amazing on a speaker system capable of reproducing the full range of frequencies!! (PS, it needs a ‘bit of wellie’ to get the speakers going!)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #18,805 of 25,867
1641575078754.png

Cheers
Nice with a music example I can relate to for a change.
This is one of MANY classic Karajan/BPO mid 60s recordings on DGG ,and whenever I go to my local thrift shops I hope to find a cd of it.So far no luck.
But I still have the original LP.
I am not sure if they ever did a digital remake of Mussorgksy´s Masterpiece? But they did do Debussy ´s La Mer and much as I like those old analogue classics from the 60s musically, I have to say that via Qutest and Mscaler the digital remake has better SQ and better dynamic range than the analogue oldies.
Another HvK/BPO musical gem from that 60s period that I did find on cd recently for 1 Euro is their recording of Mozart´s Horn Concertos with the then BPO leader Gerd Seiffert playing those masterpieces very well in a seductively beautiful rich spacious and hall ambient analogue recording that sounds very nice on cd via the same chain.
PS. If you like Mussorgsky´s music also try the orginal Mussorgsky version of Night on the Bald Mountain and the Opera Boris Godunov.
My fav recording of Boris is the Sony Abbado/BPO three cds set.
That is the one I am going to play tonight before going to sleep. But I´ll have to give the Karajan LP a spin in the morning.
It is indeed a classic recording.
Cheers CC

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #18,807 of 25,867
Nice with a music example I can relate to for a change.
This is one of MANY classic Karajan/BPO mid 60s recordings on DGG ,and whenever I go to my local thrift shops I hope to find a cd of it.So far no luck.
But I still have the original LP.
I am not sure if they ever did a digital remake of Mussorgksy´s Masterpiece? But they did do Debussy ´s La Mer and much as I like those old analogue classics from the 60s musically, I have to say that via Qutest and Mscaler the digital remake has better SQ and better dynamic range than the analogue oldies.
Another HvK/BPO musical gem from that 60s period that I did find on cd recently for 1 Euro is their recording of Mozart´s Horn Concertos with the then BPO leader Gerd Seiffert playing those masterpieces very well in a seductively beautiful rich spacious and hall ambient analogue recording that sounds very nice on cd via the same chain.
PS. If you like Mussorgsky´s music also try the orginal Mussorgsky version of Night on the Bald Mountain and the Opera Boris Godunov.
My fav recording of Boris is the Sony Abbado/BPO three cds set.
That is the one I am going to play tonight before going to sleep. But I´ll have to give the Karajan LP a spin in the morning.
It is indeed a classic recording.
Cheers CC
Ah yes LP, actually i know this album from LP too :)

Some time ago I was at my local flea market and found this gem for literally 2 euro !
IMG_20220107_205648~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220107_205648~2.jpg
    IMG_20220107_205648~2.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Jan 7, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #18,809 of 25,867
So, going back to the WA33 with my TC, from yesterday's DC4'd mDAVE session, and the impressions are as expected (to me at least). More bass bloom, smoother sound, fuller mids, larger soundstage, more forgiving of poorly recorded tracks. Both are good, but I like the WA33 better. I just like that "distortion," fuller mids and increased soundstage more. I guess it's not as "accurate" as the DAVE, but I'm fine with that. I like the WA33 tube "coloring."

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #18,810 of 25,867
Music is always in the eyes of the beholder and personal but what you describe is i think spot on. But what i ask my self does the wa33 has the same improvement gain as the dave has relatively due to the dc4 lps. Or is the stock lps sound not in your memory any more. Also for me hard to go back. Probably should go full stock again to get sound memory back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back