CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #18,826 of 25,867
Correct. Because of the smooth response of the susvara and with a smooth response chain, it'll reveal the lo-fi metal for what it is. This is kinda what I'm getting at.

ALSO, I dunno why, but MQA also will reveal more correct mid bass than any other format. Which is the weirdest thing because that frequency range is not hard to playback I imagine. But I've been starting to think it is one of the last things to come out correctly in the path to end game without assist from colored external amps. And I think this is due to lower distortion of MQA that lowers noise floor even more on a perceptual level. Because HQplayer and PGGB can affect mid-bass, more for the worse than for the better on my end. Especially since they both seem to flatten the soundstage too, hence giving the extra detail that these YT reviewers seems to love but it's just a cut in the mid bass.

Metal and hip-hop MQA can reveal good midbass well too. Hip-hop library has a fair amount of low DR due to the intention of it being played in the club though so one must find the album with high DR.
I’m still on the fence about MQA. A lot of hip hop that is only on Tidal is MQA. I haven’t figured out how to make my K50 streamer unfold it and not Roon (though, honestly, I love Roon, so I’m hesitant. I do use a SqueezeLite player with the Roon server and UI, that I think sounds better than a Roon player with the Roon server)

Currently, having Roon unfold it, I think a non-MQA high-res version sounds better. MQA sounds “digital” to me, but I haven’t tried unfolding with my server apps.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:14 AM Post #18,828 of 25,867
I’m still on the fence about MQA. A lot of hip hop that is only on Tidal is MQA. I haven’t figured out how to make my K50 streamer unfold it and not Roon (though, honestly, I love Roon, so I’m hesitant. I do use a SqueezeLite player with the Roon server and UI, that I think sounds better than a Roon player with the Roon server)

Currently, having Roon unfold it, I think a non-MQA high-res version sounds better. MQA sounds “digital” to me, but I haven’t tried unfolding with my server apps.
Yea. Roon doesn't do mqa unfold too well ever since.

I was initially a very loud anti-MQA person and I liked HQplayer for two years. Didn't like Roon. But as my system improved, I started to hear how MQA is more superior and it kept on keeping up with my upgrade while HQplayer started lagging behind. Roon is still off for me. My personal explanation for this is distortion likes distortion. But in Roon's case, it's engine is just too opaque for me that I can even tell from a laptop to AQ carbon to Hugo 2 setup, only to be verified later on with a dedicated NUC on a HDPLex + conditioner.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #18,829 of 25,867
Yea. Roon doesn't do mqa unfold too well ever since.

I was initially a very loud anti-MQA person and I liked HQplayer for two years. Didn't like Roon. But as my system improved, I started to hear how MQA is more superior and it kept on keeping up with my upgrade while HQplayer started lagging behind. Roon is still off for me. My personal explanation for this is distortion likes distortion. But in Roon's case, it's engine is just too opaque for me that I can even tell from a laptop to AQ carbon to Hugo 2 setup, only to be verified later on with a deducted NUC on a HDPLex + conditioner.
In the Antipodes thread others dislike Roon too. They like SqueezeLite with the SqueezeLite server. But, the UI is so much worse. I have an extremely large collection of music, and I really like how Roon handles it. I’m probably being stubborn though. With my K50, it’s easy to switch everything, so I’ll experiment this weekend

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #18,830 of 25,867

The most accessible thing would be an Android phone doing mconnect tidal. USB c idefender to usb cable to ddc to toslink to HMS if u wanna get your feet wet before pursuing further. But from my recollection, I think the phone's distortion will make 192khz have the edge. I have to dig deep in my chats for that one. Lol. But with a zen stream and my custom psus, MQA is superior to 192khz. More stable, more midbass, less noise (via ringing) even on just a first unfold to the Dave. Then do HF ON + xfeed on the Dave.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #18,831 of 25,867
Ye
In the Antipodes thread others dislike Roon too. They like SqueezeLite with the SqueezeLite server. But, the UI is so much worse. I have an extremely large collection of music, and I really like how Roon handles it. I’m probably being stubborn though. With my K50, it’s easy to switch everything, so I’ll experiment this weekend
Yes. Any reviewer/journalist can fudge a review. They use Roon, says MQA sucks then claim it's bit perfect so their case stands. 😉

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #18,832 of 25,867
Hi friends.
So as much as I like my Holo May, I am thinking of a change of flavor.
The May, while natural and expansive, is on the laidback side.
I was wondering if anyone here owns both or has otherwise A/B-ed the Dave (only the Dave no Mscaler) with the Holo May?
And if anyone has A/B-ed the terminator Plus with the Dave?
I know Hans B has a video comparing the Terminator Plus and Dave, but his sound comparison is so minimal.

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #18,834 of 25,867
Hi friends.
I was wondering if anyone here owns both or has otherwise A/B-ed the Dave (only the Dave no Mscaler) with the Holo May?
I know Hans B has a video comparing the Terminator Plus and Dave, but his sound comparison is so minimal.
I think that @Triode User has compared solo Dave and Holo.
I did compare MDave and Holo some time ago, you can find my thoughts in Holo topic.

And to me Holo sounds completely different (nos mode). Everything is close upfront of you, kinda forced (I don't mean aggressive) you get the feeling of this wall of sound where every instrument is in one line and being pushed into your ears.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #18,835 of 25,867
Hi friends.
I have owned the Dave for many years. I bought a May to see what all the fuss was about. Compared to the Dave (even with no mscaler) I did not like the May at all. The May couldn’t cope with large scale orchestral works, it had a collapsed sound stage compared to the Dave and the May had nowhere near the Daves ability of not smearing music and allowing all the instruments to be heard no matter how busy the music. By contrast the May easiliy degenerated into a wall of sound with busy music or crescendos. I also found the Dave had the ability to make music where the May was reproducing individual sounds but they never seemed to come together as music. A friend has Metrum and Denafrips DACs and I noticed this as well with his Dacs when he brought them round to try in my system (he sold the DACs after hearing them against DAVE).

I'm sorry but compared to the May the Dave is a proper grown up dac.

I hope I am not being too hard on the May but I sold it after it had 6 weeks of use hoping it would burn in and change but it never did.

Mind you I exclusively use speakers and do not own any headphones. That might make some difference.

I think that @Triode User has compared solo Dave and Holo.
Yes and against solo TT2 and solo Qutest which I also preferred compared to the May.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #18,836 of 25,867
Solo Dave is where the magic is anyway, I'm not sure about PGGB ( I know it's the current flavor of the month), but HQPlayer really doesn't compare to the M-scaler. And believe me, I've bought the M-scaler almost against my will and been trying to get rid of it ever since, but it's just much better than HQplayer. I only do streaming so i don't care about PGGB for now.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #18,837 of 25,867
I have owned the Dave for many years. I bought a May to see what all the fuss was about. Compared to the Dave (even with no mscaler) I did not like the May at all. The May couldn’t cope with large scale orchestral works, it had a collapsed sound stage compared to the Dave and the May had nowhere near the Daves ability of not smearing music and allowing all the instruments to be heard no matter how busy the music. By contrast the May easiliy degenerated into a wall of sound with busy music or crescendos. I also found the Dave had the ability to make music where the May was reproducing individual sounds but they never seemed to come together as music. A friend has Metrum and Denafrips DACs and I noticed this as well with his Dacs when he brought them round to try in my system (he sold the DACs after hearing them against DAVE).

I'm sorry but compared to the May the Dave is a proper grown up dac.

I hope I am not being too hard on the May but I sold it after it had 6 weeks of use hoping it would burn in and change but it never did.

Mind you I exclusively use speakers and do not own any headphones. That might make some difference.

Yes and against solo TT2 and solo Qutest which I also preferred compared to the May.
Exactly. A full orchestral jazz or classical music can expose the shortcomings of timing and depth in many dacs which lack the sophisticated WTA filtering of chord dacs. Vocal oriented music on nos and R2R dacs can be a bit fuller experience because of lack of ultimate precision. A very clean, transparent and dynamic dac can present even the last ounce of details and because of these extra details these dacs can sound less fuller but that does not mean these dacs are less true to source. So in a way r2r/nos preference is more for a colored sound than accuracy.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:37 AM Post #18,838 of 25,867
They claim the Holo Dac is so transparent where you can hear the vocal move left or right from the mic. Sorry that's AC main noise because the vocalist are doing close micing on a MONO mic. I've been there and got hyped with that sound but as I upgraded my chain, all that are just perceptual anomalies of the chain.
I have no idea what it is, but i've heard that on multiple tracks when i had the LCD-5 in for a home demo. The voice is very stable on the Z1R and every headphone i've heard, but with LCD-5 it was just moving across slightly from the left to the right channel. It was extremely annoying . Not to mention other artifacts which i hadn't heard before, but now that i know where they are...i can sort of hear them with the Z1R as well

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:42 AM Post #18,839 of 25,867
I have no idea what it is, but i've heard that on multiple tracks when i had the LCD-5 in for a home demo. The voice is very stable on the Z1R and every headphone i've heard, but with LCD-5 it was just moving across slightly from the left to the right channel. It was extremely annoying . Not to mention other artifacts which i hadn't heard before, but now that i know where they are...i can sort of hear them with the Z1R as well
Okayyy with the LCD 4 and 5...here's the thing, maybe I said it here already or another thread but, those HPs are super sensitive to radio interference. Try turning off all phones and wifi and unhook appliances as much as possible for the test. Oddly a standby induction stove has a strong interference. The lcd4 sounds smoother than a Susvara (with 1 phone on) for me. It's a smoother susvara with midbass. With the 5, you may not get the female vocal dip as much as the 4.

If you are still hearing this swaying, time to get a conditioner. This is precisely why ABX is useless because I can't do A/A before. The same track is not consistent because of these deviations brought about ac noise and radio interference. I look forward to your test. 😁😁

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #18,840 of 25,867
f you are still hearing this swaying, time to get a conditioner.
I do have a power conditioner. I also do have my phone, airpods and apple watch like 50 cm from Dave, and my 34 inch monitor..5 cm above Dave, but i haven't reliably heard any differences with it on or off. Either way, still has to fit my use case.
Try turning off all phones and wifi and unhook appliances as much as possible for the test
My god man, we've already bought a new apartment partly so I can switch to open backs, I'll end up living in it alone :p .I am looking into setting up a separate circuit for Dave in it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back